Lone Wolf Isazo 68'

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This Ichikawa Raizo vehicle starts a little off the mark, but around 50 min into the story Raizo comes into his own, very depressed and dismal, Raizo delivers an excellent performance here. The ending is a bit disappointing, but for any Raizo fan this film is a must have. Good choreographing in this film as well. They start off glorifying Lone Wolf a bit too much, but you soon forget about it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"I think Kurotokagi is selling it"

That is correct. I believe the title is accurate too. Seems like it is anyway.

Watched this the other night, man it was fantastic! They did glorify the protagonist a bit at the beginning(as the story was being retold), yet he wasn't the super untouchable Samurai you see in a lot of these movies, there seemed to be a more human quality to him. Raizo might not be as an actor on par with Nakadia(who is?), but he's got a charisma all to his own. I wasn't disappointed with the end.

Definitely a classic little unknown gem, really makes you wonder just how many awesome classic Japanese films are out there no one has ever heard of!

BlackLamaFaction

Agree with Tosh on this. Really great Yakuza film, one of Raizo's best roles. Isazo was a really complex character who you immediately respected but also felt sorry for. Kazuo Ikehiro did a great job of portraying the traveling gambler as a romantic yet tragic figure doomed to a life without trust or companionship. I really liked how the film gave a more in depth look into the traditions and etiquette of Edo period Yakuza. There are so many Daiei gems like this from the 60's that i would love to see get a proper english release. Destiny's Son, Sword Devil, and of course The Betrayal, and the Satan's Sword films. Ikehiro, Misumi, and Tanaka were like the holy trinity at Daiei, it's amazing that much talent resided at one studio.

There are so many Daiei gems like this from the 60's that i would love to see get a proper english release. Destiny's Son, Sword Devil, and of course The Betrayal, and the Satan's Sword films. Ikehiro, Misumi, and Tanaka were like the holy trinity at Daiei, it's amazing that much talent resided at one studio.

I have the Betrayal but haven't heard of the other two, thanks for the recommendations.

BlackLamaFaction

No doubt Tosh, glad I could help. Sword Devil and Destiny's Son are part of Kenji Misumi's Sword Trilogy along with the film Ken, Raizo is the star of all three. Destiny's Son is my favorite of them, Raizo plays a tragic but highly skilled swordsman, who after having to leave his clan becomes the yojimbo of a high ranking samurai, it has some of Raizo's best sword work. There is a custom project available made from the Wildside release. I'm pretty sure they can all still be bought online.

Archived