Venom's fims have lost their luster

GwaiLoMoFo

I have to say, The Venom films are always "hit or miss" with me. Crippled Avengers is the one title that I've been able to watch again and again (since I was about ten... in 1985), always with delight... but other than CA, I find my tolerance for the Venoms to be entirely based on my mood.

I feel, as a whole, that by the time Cheng Cheh got to the (for lack of a better term) The Venoms Team, Cheh had exhausted himself; the tension and high drama, so prevalent in the Wang Yu and Chaing/Lung films seemed to have taken a back seat to the action. And hey, these are Kung Fu flicks, the action is part and parcel to the enjoyment of the films. But without the strong story or character development to balance the action, it's harder to become emotionally invested, at least for me.

Having said that, I do enjoy the "martial world"/"superhero" feel to the films, and at various points (again, depending on my mood) there is nothing more fun than a Venom movie.

On that note, I recently watched the trailers on DragonDynasty's One Armed Swordsman disc. What I found fascinating is it seemed like the Shaw Brothers valued Chang Cheh's ability to find "new faces" more than his ability to tell a story. Perhaps this influenced the aforementioned ennui in Chang's directing, as if he was thinking "Eh, If I show 'em a bunch a kids doing kung fu, Run Me will be happy and I can pay my mortgage." Or, as I implied earlier, maybe after doing a billion films about the martial code of brotherhood, he ran out of creative steam. I actually have a bunch of theories about Chang Cheh's creative process, but this post is fairly long as it is, I'm sure nobody wants to hear me blather.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Sammo and Jackie had more expirence with Sammos mother being who she was and their ties to the HK film industry, and had more time to develop their choreo, Venoms movies are a little more loose, probably a little more freestyle where they may have improvised at times.

I think you're right, the venoms were really "in the moment" where as Sammo/Jackie were looking more at the finished product.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I'd take the venoms over sammo and jackie anyday. I know how unpopular this opinion may be, but I think sammo and jackie are over-rated. I do not think that way of the Venoms, contrary to popular opinion.

I find Sammo's films to be smitten with too much cheesy "hey fatty" humor. The only Sammo film I consider classic is the Prodigal Son, I couldn't make it through Odd Couple or Knockabout, too silly. Oh wait, Warriors Two was alright, but I haven't gotten around to watching many of his films as of yet.

shaolin drunkard

Venoms got also very good support from "extras" Yu Tai Ping,Chu Ker and particularly one of best weapon man Wang Li.Sword Stained With Royal Blood is likely Venom movie I enjoy least.But problem there is not fights or cast but it suffers from same thing as many Chu Yuan flicks based on novels 90 mins is not enough for novel turned into movie.OK,one thing in it bugs me a bit Kuo Chuis character for a while thinks she is he.It might be very innocent for chinese audience but scene where they meet a moonlight in garden is bit gay:nerd:

shaolin drunkard
jackie over-rated.

Jackie IMO made a lot better movies before Police Story than after it.

Killer Meteor
Jackie IMO made a lot better movies before Police Story than after it.

I think Miracles was the turning point.

Archived