Venom's fims have lost their luster

GwaiLoMoFo

TibetanWhiteCrane

personally, I think that the interior for exterior sets, were part of the Shaw experience, venoms flicks or not! Granted, they did get more and more hoaky looking as the years went on. But to me, it is part of the package.

I shift between all manner of movies, from various genres, decades, countries etc. So I rarely get tired of any one style! And even if I do, I would never get rid of any films in my collection. I've done that before, and it was a HUGE mistake. My interest for said movies were reignited, and am now in the process of having to buy them all again.... bad move, and expensive!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5EN is not a Venoms movie. It is the first of CC movies with his last team(Cheng Tien Chi, Chao Kuo, Chu Ko) while at Shaw. CC did 5EN while LF, KC and CS did Ninja in the Deadly Trap in Taiwan.

"The only thing I can think of: it might be the fact that Shaw Brothers always use the same type of sound effects unlike independent classics"

Not true. If you pay attention, Shaw changed soundfx about every 2-3 years. Hand to hand, metal to wood, etc. They changed their foley, while everyone outside of them used the exact same sounds. That paper slapping sound for hand to hand and such. Listen to hand to hand sounds from Shaw from 75-77, then 78-80, then 81-82, then 83 on.

odioustrident

I really think the extended Venoms crew (Chen Tien Chi, Chiu Gwok ,Chu Ko etc...) had almost as much to do with the "Venoms" style weaponwork as Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng, and Kwok Chun Fung. I don't think any of the early handwork left a mark on MA film history, as people have pointed out here (sorry Lo Mang fans I still love it all).

The extended Venoms crew was doing classic Venoms weaponwork in Weird Man and 5 Element Ninjas, so I don't mind when people call those Venoms films (even if they are not). I would not consider myself mislead if either of those titles had "Venoms film" on the jacket; a lot of fans are still getting what they want.

Guest Markgway
His Venoms stuff is his worst.

You haven't seen the films he made after he left Shaws then... lol

The Venoms films were usually entertaining but less well made than Chang's earlier films. I don't think his heart was in it. The first - The Five Venoms - is still the best and arguably Chang's last great film. The likes of Crippled Avengers and Five Element Ninjas are good but maybe not great?

It's all subjective really...

shaolin drunkard
The first - The Five Venoms - is still the best and arguably Chang's last great film.
lol,hell no!CC made his best film whole career considered,not just Venoms era few years later....that movie is of course incredible Masked Avengers:D

Guest Markgway
lol,hell no!CC made his best film whole career considered,not just Venoms era few years later....that movie is of course incredible Masked Avengers:D

You're not serious are you? :S

Most kung fu films offered nothing new in terms of plot, most are similar, venoms films are no exeption. I remember the first time I watched 5 Deadly Venoms, I was blown away and I found out they had done more movies together. I had to have them. By the time I had gotten to Ode to Gallantry, which was about the 10th movie of their's i'd seen, I was ready to movie on. Over the years, I have come to feel the same way about most fu flicks, they reuse plots. There is the occasional great film, but mostly mediocre. I still enjoy those mediocre films, but not like I did when I first came into the genre.

But, anytime you watch the same kind of movie, just with switched around characters, you'll become bored easily. I use to collect these movies, but now, I just keep what I want and give the rest to my uncle or cousin.

The same plot, the same story, the same characters, I mean, part of the reason I love Sword stained with Royal Blood is because of Chiang Sheng playing a villian.

They should of made Chiang Sheng a leading man, and used him outside of the venoms. AHHHHHH a man can dream can't he.

I don't think venom movies are boring.Their fight scenes are much better than any David Chiang or Ti Lung film.And considering Chang Che's older stars were doubled too much i prefer venoms and venoms.

2009.03.22 10:57 PM

ekisha: Now I'm a big fan of David Chiang & Ti Lung I thought they were great together and to me they made some of the best SB movies hands down. The Venoms were good but, there were a few movies that to me were just OK.

I think David Chaing and Ti Lung were great with their action scenes, their moves were not as dynamic as the venoms, but I find their fight scenes to be more interesting and relevant to the plot.

Killer Meteor

I thought Five Venoms itself was dull. Crippled Avengers was Chang Cheh's last great film and Masked Avengers makes a fine change from the norm with its very Grand Guignol feel

I think the Venoms would have benefitted from better scripts and direction. Perhaps more one Venom films would have worked, because some are absurdly padded in the heroes's department!

Venoms are better acrobats, Chen Kuan Tai is a better fighter, I'd say Gordon Liu is a better skilled fighter as well.

Venom films haven't lost their luster, it's your appreciation of them that has lost its luster. You just finally reached that spot where you're tired of the same thing again and again. That's why it's healthy to have multiple interests in life and not just one.

lillippa328

well of corse not the shit ones lol....but the great and the classics...i think the choreography was for its time...

plus why is there complaining 25 years later? lol

Venom films haven't lost their luster, it's your appreciation of them that has lost its luster. You just finally reached that spot where you're tired of the same thing again and again. That's why it's healthy to have multiple interests in life and not just one.

Yes my appreciation for Venoms films has lost its luster, no the rest of the genre. I honestly didnt start re-watching these films until the Celestials were released. Which means for many of these films it had been @ 5-10 years since I watched them. And there are some that I saw for the first time via Celestial. So I know that its not that I am "burned out" on them. I always mix up my viewing to avoid getting tired of a particualr style or genre of films. I have a very extensive collection of foreign & domestic films from ALL genres. I think that over the years the more films I saw from directors like Sammo, LKL & YWP, the more I appreciated their style of choreography over the circus ole style of the vernoms. The more realistic, harder hitting, traditional shapes choreography is what I like in my classic kf. To each his own

XDLuster has been thrown around in this thread so much I can't help but quote King Osric (changed to fit the times)-

There comes a time, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the Venom movies loses their luster, when the living room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his Shaw Brother films.

kungfusamurai

What? I didn't know that Cynthia Luster was part of the Venoms flicks!

Actually, I agree to a certain extent that many of the Venoms films don't hold up well on repeated viewing. For me, I don't like watching Crippled Avengers. The first time I saw it I was so excited because it was like the Five Deadly Venoms Pt 2. But after watching it a couple more times, I got kind of sick of it. The biggest turn-off is the finale. Too much horsing around, especially with all those damn peking opera tumbles that Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng do. I understand they were probably paying an homage to their Opera roots, but it just went on for too long. Since when to adversaries tumble around together?!! It's almost as bad as those parts in fight scenes in some KF flicks when one guy loses his weapon to the other guy, but then the other guy gives it back! :)

Too much of a good thing will definitely make you sick of it after a while. Wanting to sell of the films is going overboard. Put them away for a while, then revisit them in a few years time. You'll fall in love with the sweaty, bare-chested venoms clan all over again!! :D

KFS

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Nice Tosh. King Osric, great actor right there, Max Von Sydow (spelling). There's extra footage on youtube where he is attackee by his sentries. I'm not sure how it fits into the story. They were enamoured by Thulsa Doom? Anyway, pretty cool to check out.

Venom's lose their luster? Not to anyone who truly appreciates them for what they are. You figure it out.

Best post of the month TOSH!!!

As for the Venoms films....I've recently gotten on a SHAW Brothers kick and the Venoms films are at the top of my list. THAT being wrote....I can understand how one can get burnt out or how films could loose their luster!!!

I recently saw Shaolin Rescuers, and at the beggining of the final fight Kuo Choi is moving so slow I couldn't believe it. All I could think was that Jackie or Sammo would have reshot that a dozen more times or maybe undercranked it, I don't know I was just stunned by how slow it was. Everyone was fairly slow at the beggining of that fight, but I noticed that they were picking up the pace little by little. By the end I couldn't believe how fast and tightly coreographed it was.

This got me thinking, most of the venoms and Jackie and Sammo come from the Chinese Opera background. I think the Venoms have a more traditional approach to their films. Their movies have a lot longer shots with more moves between the camera cuts. The shaw studio kind of gives it a theatrical feel as well. Its just a different style.

Nice Tosh. King Osric, great actor right there, Max Von Sydow (spelling). There's extra footage on youtube where he is attackee by his sentries. I'm not sure how it fits into the story. They were enamoured by Thulsa Doom? Anyway, pretty cool to check out.

Yeah I have that disk, I'm glad they cut that part out, it was strange seeing the alternative ending were the princess goes with him at the end, and you see them walk off to what I'm sure would be a bone-ing by the big guy, though she should of gave it up to Subotai as he saved her from the snake arrow and took a spear in the leg for herXD

Max Von Sydow has had some awesome roles from Excorist to his crazt part as the brewmaster in Strange Brew.

I recently saw Shaolin Rescuers, and at the beggining of the final fight Kuo Choi is moving so slow I couldn't believe it. All I could think was that Jackie or Sammo would have reshot that a dozen more times or maybe undercranked it, I don't know I was just stunned by how slow it was. Everyone was fairly slow at the beggining of that fight, but I noticed that they were picking up the pace little by little. By the end I couldn't believe how fast and tightly coreographed it was.

This got me thinking, most of the venoms and Jackie and Sammo come from the Chinese Opera background. I think the Venoms have a more traditional approach to their films. Their movies have a lot longer shots with more moves between the camera cuts. The shaw studio kind of gives it a theatrical feel as well. Its just a different style.

I think Sammo and Jackie had more expirence with Sammos mother being who she was and their ties to the HK film industry, and had more time to develop their choreo, Venoms movies are a little more loose, probably a little more freestyle where they may have improvised at times.

Archived