The Recent Big Budget Epics shown in the U.S.

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I'm referring to the big films that the mainstream audience in America knows of, not just niche martial arts collectors:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

House of Flying Daggers

The Curse of the Golden Flower

Hero

Fearless

more?

Those are really the only ones I'm aware of, but then I didn't see any of them in the theater, and I've only seen Fearless out of those five (I watched the Unrated version thinking it was the directors cut, but I now have the 140 minute director's cut disc.)

Have there been others recently like these? How are the US discs for these - any cuts, dubtitles or other problems? If there are, what would be the best non US disc to get? My biggest concerns would be in order: 1. Uncut, 2. proper subtitles, 3. Anamorphic, 4. good picture quality, 5. good extras (preferably in English or subtitled.) I don't really have the money for some super-duper 5-disc collector's set with replica 1:1 sword or whatever...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
littlefuzzy

Well, looking at DVDCompare.net, it looks like:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Uncut. I'll probably get the R1 (I think it's on sale this week, too!)

House of Flying Daggers - Cut!? What is a better version of this one (like I said earlier, cost is a factor, and special features without subtitles don't help much.)

Curse of the Golden Flower - Uncut, I presume, although they list a shorter running time than the HK version... Anyone know if the US version IS uncut?

Hero (2002) - Theatrical version instead of Extended version - what would I be missing?

Highest grossing asian films in the US:

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Taiwan, 2000): $128 million.

2. Hero (China, 2004): $53.7 million.

3. Jet Li’s Fearless (China, 2006): $24.6 million.

4. Kung Fu Hustle (Hong Kong, 2005):$17.1 million.

5. Iron Monkey (Hong Kong, 2001): $14.7 million.

6. The Protector (Tom Yam Goong, Thailand, 2006) $11.9 million

7. House of Flying Daggers (China, 2004): $11 million.

8. Shall We Dance? (Japan, 1997): $9.5 million.

9. Eat Drink Man Woman (Taiwan, 1994): $7.3 million.

10. The Wedding Banquet (Taiwan, 1993): $6.9 million.

11. Curse of the Golden Flower (China, 2007): $6.6 million

12. Water (India, 2006): $5.5 million.

13. Ong-Bak (Thailand, 2005): $4.6 million.

14. Kagemusha (Japan, 1980): $4 million.

15. Ran (Japan, 1985): $3.9 million.

16. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (India, 2006): $3.3 million.

17. Veer Zaara (India, 2004): $2.9 million.

18. Devdas (India, 2002): $2.7 million.

19. Dhoom 2 (India, 2001): $2.6 million.

20. Raise the Red Lantern (China, 1992): $2.6 million.

This is based on box office figures i think. Suprising to see Iron Monkey so high.

The Silver Fox

I saw Fearless at the movies, it looked awsome on the big screen. The fight on the elevated platform was spectacular.

One thing that was pretty funny was that there were six other couples in the theatre besides my wife and I. Without exception each couple consisted of white guy and asian girl.

Guest WuxiaFan
Well, looking at DVDCompare.net, it looks like:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Uncut. I'll probably get the R1 (I think it's on sale this week, too!)

House of Flying Daggers - Cut!? What is a better version of this one (like I said earlier, cost is a factor, and special features without subtitles don't help much.)

Curse of the Golden Flower - Uncut, I presume, although they list a shorter running time than the HK version... Anyone know if the US version IS uncut?

Hero (2002) - Theatrical version instead of Extended version - what would I be missing?

littlefuzzy,

IMO, the best version of CTHD is the Superbit version for picture and sound. I also have the R1 CTS version for the special features. There's not an uncut version of CTHD, that I know of.

HERO is a different story. IMO, DO NOT buy any US version as the subtitles are complete crap and change the many meanings of scenes and phrases throughout the movie. The best versions of HERO are from HK distributor Edko. I feel the absolute best version of HERO is the uncut version by Edko. But HERO is one of my all time favorite movies (along with CTHD). Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=4687

For HERO special features, I would also recommend the Edko 2-disc version. That set has the theatrical cut and disc 2 with a ton of special features. However, it's hard to find and may be out of print.

Ong Bak and Protector are huge

For both, the international or original Thai versions are better than the US versions especially for Tom Yum Goong (The Protector).

littlefuzzy

Has anyone heard of problems with the subtitles on the R1 release of CTHD? According to IMDB, the subs are different from the theatrical release, and were described as "Dumbed Down."

Knowing that anyone can add information to IMDB, just how accurate is this description, and would I be missing that much?

Guest WuxiaFan
Has anyone heard of problems with the subtitles on the R1 release of CTHD? According to IMDB, the subs are different from the theatrical release, and were described as "Dumbed Down."

Knowing that anyone can add information to IMDB, just how accurate is this description, and would I be missing that much?

I have read the screenplay several times in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: A Portrait of Ang Lee's Epic Film and I watched CTHD enough times that I know the English subs on the R1 Sony Pictures DVD match the screenplay. So I would say that the above statement is very inaccurate, IMO.:o

littlefuzzy

OK, that's good to know...

Thanks!

=======

Was The Myth big in the US? What is a good DVD for that one?

Highest grossing asian films in the US:

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Taiwan, 2000): $128 million.

2. Hero (China, 2004): $53.7 million.

3. Jet Li’s Fearless (China, 2006): $24.6 million.

4. Kung Fu Hustle (Hong Kong, 2005):$17.1 million.

5. Iron Monkey (Hong Kong, 2001): $14.7 million.

6. The Protector (Tom Yam Goong, Thailand, 2006) $11.9 million

7. House of Flying Daggers (China, 2004): $11 million.

8. Shall We Dance? (Japan, 1997): $9.5 million.

9. Eat Drink Man Woman (Taiwan, 1994): $7.3 million.

10. The Wedding Banquet (Taiwan, 1993): $6.9 million.

11. Curse of the Golden Flower (China, 2007): $6.6 million

12. Water (India, 2006): $5.5 million.

13. Ong-Bak (Thailand, 2005): $4.6 million.

14. Kagemusha (Japan, 1980): $4 million.

15. Ran (Japan, 1985): $3.9 million.

16. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (India, 2006): $3.3 million.

17. Veer Zaara (India, 2004): $2.9 million.

18. Devdas (India, 2002): $2.7 million.

19. Dhoom 2 (India, 2001): $2.6 million.

20. Raise the Red Lantern (China, 1992): $2.6 million.

This is based on box office figures i think. Suprising to see Iron Monkey so high.

QT was the man at the time he "presented" Iron Monkey plus it really rode the success of CTHD. Jesus I've seen Dhoom2XD

Archived