Ong Bak 2 Review

Li Ho

Found this on http://www.aintitcool.com/ Harry wrote a review for apparantly the first screening of this movie.Warning,foul language ahead.I quote...

Then... it came time... at last... for ONG BAK 2.

I've been scanning online to see if the NEIC or SASO or IRIS Seismic centers actually picked up the earth-shattering levels of holy wow that this film caused in the audience tonight - but apparently the world was asleep at their stations. BECAUSE - ONG BAK 2 defied all expectations and became something truly awe-inspiring.

ONG BAK 2 isn't at all like ONG BAK. Imagine if you will... if EXCALIBUR era John Boorman was genetically mixed with Bruce Lee and a shitload of awesome Thai badasses that nobody has ever heard of - and they created the greatest fucking CONAN movie that you've ever seen!

It isn't CONAN. If anything, it's a Buddhist CONAN.

The film is stunningly beautiful. Filled with soul. Epic in scale. Unbelievably brilliant in action, design and scope. Throughout the film - I was told I was twitching and vibrating like one's cock before coating the interior fleshy drapes of the most awesome vagina ever! I LOST TOTAL CONTROL DURING THIS MOVIE. Good thing I'm in a wheelchair and not in a seat next to someone - because my arms became an extension of some strange portion of my brain that I'm rarely in contact with.

This movie made me happy like a 4 year old!

This is unlike anything you've seen before. This isn't anything like a Kurosawa Japanese epic Samurai film. This isn't anything like CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON or the Zhang Yimou films. This is something wholly new. And absolutely that fucking awesome or more!

Do you remember EASTER MORNING as a kid? The absolute crazed overload of sugar by way of Chocolate bunnies, eggs, PEETS and all manners of confectionary evil? This is just like that, but with fists, feet, elbows, triple-irons, dozens of types of swords, crocadiles, elephants, possessed scary fucking witchy women, Thai ninja fucks, bandit kings, tons of other weapons and body parts all slashing, tearing and ripping pieces and blood out of people. BUT beyond all of that is a story told with flashbacks which at first seem ever so slightly awkward, if only because it seems it's gonna be lame like a hug and a kiss - until suddenly it's just bitchen and cool!

The story about a noble birthed boy, lost in the ravages of a nightmarish confused rainy night, sold into deathsport, recruited by the ultimate league of bad mutherfuckers, trained to kill via every possible weapon known and then.... Damn. No way. This movie needs to hit you with the full weight of HOLY FUCK like it hit me tonight!

Tony Jaa. You've no idea. You'll come away from this film... not only astonished at his charisma and his physical prowess... but the idea that he wrote and directed this film. It's just. I mean. I can't believe what I saw. Which is why I'll be at the next showing at SXSW too. Once this film gets closer to release - I'll go into the conclusion of the film which is so incredibly Buddhist... that it will leave many in the audience wondering WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED? And I'm here to tell you... This is probably the most awesome film (and upcoming ONG BAK 3) to illustrate the greater awesome highs of Karma that I've ever seen.

That a film can be this asskicking, this smart, this cultural, this beautiful and this much fucking fun - is just. This is so far and above better than anything we might have expected from Tony Jaa that I'm just treading life till I see it again. I'm serious. This is just so exciting and new and thrilling and ecstatic and revelatory and yet... it leaves you thinking and discussing the basic and advance layers of Buddhism in a way that I've never really seen before.

Awesome doesn't cover it. I need some sort of Thai exclamation, but I don't know any. I'll just go with this!

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

อัศเจรีย์

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always good to see a positive review.

So positive that you can compare your reaction to a cock about to blow in vagina.

I'm hoping I enjoy the film that much when I EVENTUALLY see it.

Woah that's one hell of an ecstatic review, I was pumped whan I saw the trailer but this dude has blown off the top, I need to see this asap!

I don't trust Harry Knowles' opinion; never liked his use of hyperbole/general writing style, makes me feel queasy.

Judgment reserved, but looking forward to it.

Taken from Wikipedia regarding Ong Bak 3:

"Sia Jieang, an Executive of Sahamongkol, stated the film will feature more fights between Dan Chupong and Tony Jaa. Moreover, in Ong Bak 3 Tien's legs and arms will be damaged by torture and require Jaa's character to "fight with some sort of boneless action. This is homework for Panna Rittikrai and Tony Jaa to create the action for us to see what it will look like to fight in the state of boneless condition."

"Sia Jieang, an Executive of Sahamongkol, stated the film will feature more fights between Dan Chupong and Tony Jaa. Moreover, in Ong Bak 3 Tien's legs and arms will be damaged by torture and require Jaa's character to "fight with some sort of boneless action. This is homework for Panna Rittikrai and Tony Jaa to create the action for us to see what it will look like to fight in the state of boneless condition."

This is how he can reach the levels of stardom that Jackie and Bruce achieved. It is quite clear that he is attempting to bring something new to the genre. Ong Bak was cool, TYG was a tad stale, but still entertaining. Now Tony is attempting to give us all groundbreaking new styles and choreography and that what will put him above the rest in the long run.

Guest Yi-Long

Tony has always brought something new. ong-bak was fresh as hell, TYG was (action-wise) a huge improvement and very ambitious, cause so much more diverse and also interesting villains, and with OB2 he's going raw on our asses with lots of weapons and such.

This is why I have so much respect for Tony and why I don't understand people attacking him: he shows he cares so much about bringing us something original that will make us sit up and take notice, instead of just relying on what he can already do and just repeat that over and over.

SlothStyleKungFu

While I want the film to be good, Knowles is an incredibly bad reviewer and a total kneejerk geek reactor when it comes to advance screenings. I quit having stock in his opinion long ago.

Guest Yi-Long
I've read that the ending leaves people saying WTH. Is anyone here seeing Ong Bak II at SXSW?

I believe OB2 is the first part of a 2-part movie (Like Kill Bill 1 and 2...).

Taken from Wikipedia regarding Ong Bak 3:

lol, Tony Jaa is going Jimmy Wang Yu on us. Can't wait.

Saw this movie last week. My guess is that it's doomed to be released in different versions in the different regions. It's a violent movie that is not violent kind of. and it look like a mix of everything. The maker of it was a bit too focused on ugly teeth's.

And yes the Jimmy Wang yu comparison was a good one but elements of Jackie Chan stuff and Sammo Hung was pretty obvious all the way, and inspiration by Samurai movies was to feel and touch at.

I understand that a lot of people think these movies are superb, but i kind of

get bored after 15 minutes for some reason.

Also the movie have nothing to do with ong bak the first story, and the end of part 2 is kind of telling me that they are not planning a part 3. Do i believe it? Not really. according to this they allready planning a ong bak 4 http://tonyjaa.blog.fr/2008/12/08/ong-bak-3-already-project-5184374/ hahaha

So if I'm going to use the IMDB rating and put the score i think it deserves it is a 4 1/2 star of 10. The first one was 6 1/2 star of 10.

But i was entertained.

They really love elephants.. LOL

And it's good they hold on to the real Thai culture and are kind of ambassadors for their culture.

Just watched and have mixed feelings.

Its a very dark, violent movie, no light hearted touches at all which may put people off. The story needs the viewer to concentrate on whats going on, no bad thing, but it has a pace which gets bogged down at times.

The action is amazing as we have come to expect from Jaa, although not as plentiful as people may expect. The drunken fight is a highlight as is his fantastic use of weapons, which will have people rewinding in amazement.

The ending is abrupt, lets hope part 3 finishes it off well. 7.5 out of 10 for me overall.

AMAZING BRUCE LEE ACTION FIGURES...LOOK!

One Armed Boxer

I live in Tokyo so have patiently waited....and waited....and waited....to have the opportunity to see this movie for the first time on a big cinema screen as it was meant to.

Finally it was released here on Saturday, and I'm so glad I waited! Nothing to say except 'wow'...the action is simply outstanding, so outstanding that after watching it yesterday I went back and watched it again today.

Sure people are right to point out that towards the end story-wise it becomes slightly incoherent, no doubt due to Jaa's sudden walkout on the movie and the sudden decision to create Ong Bak 3...

...but who cares about any of that when you have some of the best fight scenes ever filmed, ever. Jaa is never going to be in contention for an Oscar, but he delivers where it counts, his expressions of rage and anger are so real that the intensity almost burns off the screen.

It has been a long wait to see this movie, and even then it wasn't with English subtitles...but completely worth it, the pre-order for the DVD is already placed, roll on Ong Bak 3!

Great to see the appreciation for this movie finally coming around. When it first came out, it was getting "mixed feelings" from a lot of people, probably because they were in the mindset for something more along the lines of the first OB and TYG. But, between dropping my expectations and opening my mind for something different, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Certainly the most atmospheric of his films so far, and more epic in scale.

All this being said, I'm looking forward to seeing the continuation of the storyline, and how it completely ties in to the original OB. The very last shot of OB2 pretty much says "don't worry, there is a relation between this and the original OB", so I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

One Armed Boxer
Great to see the appreciation for this movie finally coming around. When it first came out, it was getting "mixed feelings" from a lot of people, probably because they were in the mindset for something more along the lines of the first OB and TYG.

Agreed...I think that much of the same thing happened with the re-make of 'Born to Fight' (Kerd ma lui) in 2004...some of the reviews I read when it was released were very harsh, most from people who seemed to have watched 'Ong Bak' and then considered themselves an expert on Thai action cinema.

I remember I read one review which said 'Panna Rittikrai is a hack and Tony Jaa should kick his ass for ripping off his movies'!! Nevermind that Rittikrai was the guy that trained Jaa, gave him his break in the movie industry, and choreographed both 'Ong Bak' & 'Tom Yum Goong'!

It seems that now most people appreciate 'Born to Fight' for what it is...an amazing showcase for some of the most insane and bone crunching stunts you'll see. I can't wait to see Dan Chupong & Jaa face off properly in 'Ong Bak 3'!

Archived