Are the early 80's martial art series worth watching?

odioustrident

odioustrident

I was thinking of:

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (1982)

Return of Condor Heroes (1983)

Is there some type of action in every episode? I enjoy both of these stories, but the choreography is a big part of why I'd get these shows.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, those two i like. All these mentioned series have action in each episode, but some have less and some have plenty.

You should see these also:

Legend Of Condor Heroes (82)

Duke Of Mount Deer (84)

The New Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (86).

You might also check out a Stephen Chow serie called Final Combat (89). I haven`t see it myself, but i have seen the intro. I think it look`s good.

All are of course available with English subtitles.

________

Mutual Insurance Advice

I've got The Final Combat. I'm roughly half-way through it (currently working my way through disc 4). There's always some action big or small in an episode. The fight choreography (to my eyes) is slick and well done. It's a mixture of hand-to-hand and sword/weapon play. Chow handles the comedy while everyone else sticks mostly to the drama, etc... There's a certain amount of wire-fu and fantasy fighting, but the fights are mostly well grounded. It's definitely not wall to wall fights, but the stuff between the fights is cool and gives more weight to the fights when they occur. Ng Man Tat plays two characters, a disgraced Knight-Errant and his crazed (actually they're both kind of crazed, just in different ways) rogue 'half' brother. He is awesome.

Even though I haven't watched all of it, I'd say it's well worth picking up.

Archived