Who directed Enter the Game of Death?

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Never mind who shot JFK? Or who was Jack the Ripper? THIS is THE mystery to end all mysteries... lol!

The HKFA credits LAM Kwok-Cheung and Jospeh VELASCO

The HKMDB credits LAM Kwok-Cheung

The English dub print credits Joseph VELASCO

The KOFA credits CHOE U-YEONG

The Vengeance DVD credits JAMES NAM

Seriously, who the fuck??? :P

You guys know I'm a bit of a stickler for getting these details right, but this film is proving a pain in the arse.

Seems to me to be a co-production between three companies: TAE CHANG (South Korea); P.T. INSANTRA (HK); and R.J.T. GROUP (either HK or The Philippines?)

The cast are comprised of Chinese and Korean actors so maybe no Filipino production involvement (even if the filmmakers might be).

Help a dude out!! :cry:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I always thought it was a pseudonym for Lee Tso Nam... But now I have my doubts!

HKcinemagic has Lee and Lam Gwok Cheung down as directors!

Guest Markgway
Every site you check, has different info..... Linn would have known!

I'm sure he would have. It's a shame that all his years of research sits unused.

Is Joseph Velasco a pesudonym?

I wondered about that... but now I'm thinking he maybe a Filipino like the producers he worked for?

I always thought it was a pseudonym for Lee Tso Nam... But now I have my doubts!

I believe Li's pseudonym is Tu Lu-Po.

Killer Meteor

About the Vengenace: It was a German print before the new credits were added. Maybe Vengeance credited James Nam due to mis-information?

silver hermit
I'm sure he would have. It's a shame that all his years of research sits unused.

yes that is a crime, i feel that way about all your research mark. you should at least put it up on a website somewhere or contribute it to the HKMDB or the like.

Guest Markgway
yes that is a crime, i feel that way about all your research mark. you should at least put it up on a website somewhere or contribute it to the HKMDB or the like.

Jeez, I hope nothing bad happens to me. But you never know do you? I'm sure Linn's reasearch (including rare interviews, etc) was much more expansive (and valuable) than mine. I do plan to do something with my writings someday though. Thanks for the kind words, Hermit.

Guest Markgway
About the Vengenace: It was a German print before the new credits were added. Maybe Vengeance credited James Nam due to mis-information?

Lol, yeah, you can tell because if you step the frames on the disc you can get a glimpse of the old German credits (they're also on You Tube). Vengeance never do anything with finese. They use the Korean credits as a basis - clearly Venegance feel that they're more accurate but I'm not convinced at all this was a pure Korean production. Huang Chien Lung worked for Insantra who turned him into a clone and no other pure Korean work has so many Chinese actors in it (maybe one of two at most...) But even the KOFA claims the director was Choe U-Yeong (not James Nam). So I'd love to know where they got Nam from (apart from him being in it as the white tiger)? Did Choe direct or co-direct? Maybe - hard to say. Quite often the KOFA list assistant dirs or dirs of reshoots as the main director so it could be dubious.

tantao3-son of tantao2

I think Joseph Valesco is a pseudo used by Joseph Kong when he directed all these Insantra Bruce Le movies...It it very difficult to see "behind" all these indie producers/directors of the mid-late seventies...

Guest Markgway

Yes, it's very tricky doing research on these invisible filmmakers. Most of whom have never been interviewed or profiled.

I wasn't sure if Valesco was the pseudonym or Kong? I thought he might be Filipino? But then maybe he's Chinese and was using a a non-Chinese sounding name for export prints? Mind you Valesco is hardly an obvious choice for anglicization. At least the Italians used names like Anthony Dawson. lol

The mystery remains...

But to go back to my point... what makes you sure it's Kong/Valesco?

And who is credited on the Chinese prints (which I've never seen)?

tantao3-son of tantao2

Bruce Le personally told a friend of mine that Joseph Kong directed these...

But maybe there exists a Joseph Valesco (co-producer?investor?...?) and his name was used by Joseph Kong...

Talking about this matter I remember an old article in the mag Martial Arts Movies ca. February 1982 where they talked about Insantra productions etc....but it did not seem too accurate to me back then as they told lots of bullshit about Bruce Le in this article...And talking about Insantra/Insan production I remember Linn talking about that "new" label Eastern Star: if I remember correctely (but someone on this forum may have these posts for sure), this label was associated with it???...But it seems this label never released anything except some covers...

I do not have a Chinese poster/print of it...

Guest Markgway

Interesting info... thanks.

Someone needs to do a proper Bruce Le interview now so we can clear up this untapped area of Bruceploitation.

Never seen a Chinese poster for ETGOD although one is sure to exist.

It probably doesn't shed much light but Joseph Valescos name is also on the original trailer as the Director. But I suppose they still could have got it wrong.

Archived