What are some great Martial Arts Comedies?

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I am a big Jackie Chan fan, as well as Stephen Chow.

I've seen Drunken Master (a long time ago, I don't remember how much comedy it had, except for the drunken stuff.)

I've also seen My Lucky Stars, Robin B Hood, Shanghai Express, and some of the Jackie Chan films that were became big in the US (Who am I, First Strike, and so on.) Of course, I've seen most of Jackie's Hollywood stuff, but that's not quite what I'm in the mood for right now.

I freakin' love Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle (as well as CJ7, but not a lot of martial arts in it.) I need to find God of Cookery one of these days, but I don't know much else about Chow's work.

My friend has a Shaolin Family Mahjong DVD, but we haven't seen it yet. Strike that, it's either Shaolin Family Soccer, or Kung Fu Mahjong (or even Kung Fu Mahjong 2?)

What are some other great comedies? Right now, I'm almost more in the mood for complete wackiness, like Kung Fu Hustle. - In fact, I think I'll spin it again.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you'll like any Stephen Chow film. My favorites are-From Beijing with Love, All For the Winner, and Fight Back to School.

One of my favorite comedies is Sammo's Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind. I could watch it over and over.

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed

Forbidden Kingdom, and not in a good way. Count Dragonball Evolution in. It hurts to see the asian movie greats embarassing themselves to be hollywood's cashcows.

If you are Jackie Chan fan then you should check out Dragons Forever, armour of god, and fearless hyena...there are plenty others but at moment these are the 3 that always come to my mind

Sammo Hung makes some of the funniest kung fu films in my opinion, all the ones i've seen so far have been damn funny (encounter of the spooky kind, odd couple, pantyhose hero, incredible kung fu master, etc)

as for wacky i think there hav been quite a few films produced, but more to laugh at than laugh with lol

butcher wing

i would have to say dragons forever. when yuen biao has the converstation with his shrink about why he so neurotic ( coming from a good family) had me falling out of my seat. then he shows up at jackies house why he on a date and comes across sammo.

classssssic

Hi,

I freakin' love Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle

King Of Beggars with Chow Sing Chi has a tremendous blend of comedy and martial artistry!

Manozen

License to Steal

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon

Dance of the Drunken Mantis (very similar to Jackie's Drunken Master)

Contour

Guest Masked Avenger

I'd like to add a few more...

Thaoism Drunkard

Exciting Dragon

Crazy Safari

Mr Vampire 1992

Miracle Fighters

The Disciples Of The 36th Chamber

Tigress Of Shaolin (But I can't still get how the name is related to the flick??? )

and so on.... Enjoy them

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Some (or all) of these have been mentioned, but...

FORBIDDEN CITY COP -Stephen Chow spoofing James Bond, and everything else! Very funny.

DRAGONS FOREVER -One of the funniest fights I've ever seen, between Sammo, Jackie, and Biao. Plus Sammo's attempts to woo his love interest with a bullhorn on a crowded street... priceless.

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON -Sammo does Bruce Lee, and IMHO, better than anyone else.

A CHINESE ODDYSSEY PT. 1 -Stephen Chow as a bandit and as the Monkey King. How many times and ways can a man have his privates abused? Watch this.

MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS -A fantastic cast full of the best martial arts and comedy actors of the era (sadly, with the exception of Jackie) keeps this film racing along at a fast, fun clip. Wonderful entertainment.

PROJECT "A" 1 & 2 - Incredible, laugh-out-loud funny action.

littlefuzzy

MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS -A fantastic cast full of the best martial arts and comedy actors of the era (sadly, with the exception of Jackie) keeps this film racing along at a fast, fun clip. Wonderful entertainment.

That's the one called Shanghai Express from Dragon Dynasty, right?

i laughed my ass off at the big brawl when i was a kid. still do. alot of people say it isn't jackie's best, but man, many a sleepover after gradeschool we viewed this sucker (seeing as it was only one of three JC movies at the local spot) and never got tired of it

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dirty Ho, some funny stuff especially when he spoofs Crippled Avengers, Mad Monkey Kung Fu and Ledendary Weapons of China was pretty funny to, if LKL could of pulled back the reins on his comedy a bit as he tended to go overboard, but most of it I find entertaining. I remember Proud Twins being amusing also.

WINNERS & SINNERS (Jackie, Sammo, Biao, and Hong Kong's top comedians of the '80s) - simply laugh-out loud stuff!

MY LUCKY STARS (same cast)

TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS (same cast in sequel)

SECRET RIVALS 3 (contrived title; John Liu, Alexander Lo, and comedy relief by the wonderfully funny Chin Lung!)

MISSION KISS & KILL ('not a comedy, but featured great line uttered by Li I Min; see the English dub)

TWIN DRAGONS (Jackie) - sfx are the worst, but Jackie put on a great show!

'Have read that the ACES GO PLACES series is pretty good!

A few American comedies...

THEY CALL ME BRUCE sucks. It could have been a good parody of a Bruceploitation film but instead it just not funny at all and a torture to watch. But it had one of the funniest jokes ever in a comedy. Just one great joke and the rest of the movie sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ssYOMNGAc

A great American kung fu comedy is A FIST FULL OF YEN, the movie inside the movie of KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE.

As for Asian movies..

From the Shaws

RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER

LION V.S. LION

CAT V.S. RAT

FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS

From Golden Harvest

LUCKY STARS SERIES

Other::

MR VAMPIRE

THE LAMA AVENGER

YOUNG AVENGER

CRYSTAL FIST

36 CRAZY FIST

18 DEADLY STRIKES

Unintentially funny

BRUCE LI THE INVINCIBLE

Encounters of the Spooky Kind is one of my favorites, I think it was just re-released as Spooky Encounters on DVD.

For outright wackiness try City Hunter or Last Hero In China.

Archived