Thirst

Tosh

Me and the Mrs. love a good vampire film. Is this one of those overblown with "angst and depression at being a vampire" movies? I mean, I don't mind that as long as it's not the only drum being played.

There's angst and depression but nothing to do with being a vampire, probably one of the more unique vampire movies you'll come across.

:sad:I can't believe how whiny hollywood turned such a classic monster.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
Okay, so without going into this movie too much, what am I in for should I purchase this? I've seen it in the Moviestops and looked it over but can never commit to buying it.

Action? Gore? Mind twister?

I definitely wouldn't describe it as action or gore. If you've seen any of Chan-Wook's vengeance trilogy then you know what to expect, at least structure wise....a gripping story with some great stand-out moments, and bursts of shocking violence.

As with the vengeance trilogy, there is also some moments of blacker than black humor...one scene of Song Kang-Ho jumping off a building actually made me laugh out loud.

But at the core of the movie is Kang-Ho's psychological battle with what he's become, definitely not in the same vein as 'Twilight', which I am deeply thankful for. If you absolutely had to compare it to another vampire movie, I would go with Guillermo Del Toros' 'Cronos'.

OK I'm one of the last to post a review about this film, I've had it for a while and honestly forgot all about it, but I did get a chance to watch it last night on Halloween. I will say it definitely is a different take on the whole Vampire genre. Yes It was a little slow but it kept you into the story. My only real problem was it didn't explain where the Blood came from I though they would at least explain that in more detail. And when they both start to have hallucinations. I liked how it ended, he honestly wasn't trying to be a Killer, but the Girl was straight up Nuts!

If Thirst hasn't had a U.S. Blu-ray release yet, it's getting one.  "Kino Lorber have confirmed that they are preparing a Blu-ray release of Park Chan-wooks thriller Thirst (2009), starring Song Kang-ho, Shin Ha-kyun, Kim Ok-bin, and Eriq Ebouaney.  The release is expected to arrive on the market early next year [2019]."  News at https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24359

On June 4, 2019, Kino Lorber will release the Blu-ray for Thirst (Bakjwi) in the U.S., in Korean with English subtitles, Region A.  Info at https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thirst-Blu-ray/168027/ and more info at http://cityonfire.com/kino-lorber-has-a-thirst-for-park-chan-wooks-thriller-blu-ray/  

I tried watching Thirst on cable earlier this year, and gave up after a few minutes.  It was just too slow.  Describing it as a "thriller" is a misnomer.    

Archived