Thirst

Tosh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it this evening and have to say it was outstanding. Not as good as Let the Right One In, but is equally good in presenting a fresh perspective on vampires. Spiritual themes, suppression of addiction (psychological and blood), and the perversion of desire are the general points of the story. Very character based.

As far as them being Korean vampires, no. They're Koreans who happen to become vampires.

Saw it at the Valley Art in Tempe, AZ. It was the only theater showing it in the Phoenix area and for only 1 week. Yesterday was the last day.

Nice to see a thread about Thirst on here, I've just picked up a job promoting it so here's the UK packshot, it's out over here 25.01.10....

sleeve_3352a.jpg

Rather than clog up the thread, I've posted the press release on our Myspace.

I packed it with text links so you can see trailers for other films by the director and starring the cast, read their wikipedia entries.

It's kind of a one stop thirst shop...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=497135849&blogId=522254069

And there's a thirst Myspace here....

http://www.myspace.com/thirstmovie

There's never been a better time to get a vampire movie out there with bloodsuckers being to cuturally on trend at the moment. Hopefully I can hook in the True Blood and Twilight fans, maybe use the film as gateway into great Asian cinema in general.

• Administrator

Hey Cultlabs, can you please tell us if there are any extras on the UK release? The US DVD was barebones. Thanks! :wink:

Watched this last night, very unique take on the vampire genre, a bit slow moving but keeps you intrigued throughout, excellent acting, after seeing Kang-ho Song in this and The Host I'm looking forward to his next movies.

Excellent movie! I loved everything about this one, the only thins that felt kind of odd was the beginning of the movie, i dont want to say to much.. but after the prolog it just pure greatness. One of the best movies of 2009.

I seen it a few months ago.... worst vampire movie ever. That doesn't count those crappy Twilight movies as those aren't vampires. But geez, this thing amazed me at how bad it was. What the hell happened to Chan-wook Park?

WOW a few mixed reviews on this movie, I still have to see it for myself before I can agree with anyone on here. Those are the rules of engagement!

I seen it a few months ago.... worst vampire movie ever. That doesn't count those crappy Twilight movies as those aren't vampires. But geez, this thing amazed me at how bad it was. What the hell happened to Chan-wook Park?

Are you kidding me!? This movie is so good i cant see whats not to like about it.. :tongue:

Park have fortunate recovered from the big missfire called I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK.

Are you kidding me!? This movie is so good i cant see whats not to like about it.. :tongue:

Park have fortunate recovered from the big missfire called I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK.

No, I am not kidding. This movie was in fact dogshit. Even my friends, who are huge Chan-wook Park fans, outright hated it after we watched it. They obsess over the Vengeance trilogy and JSA, but this thing.... yeah. Needless to say, I only watched it once. So did they, before my friend, that bought the DVD, traded it in.

well, it might be one of those love or hate movies..

In my book it is definetly one of Parks strongest alongside JSA and Oldboy.

well, it might be one of those love or hate movies..

In my book it is definetly one of Parks strongest alongside JSA and Oldboy.

From my understanding from a lot of the other sites. It is one of those love or hate movies.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I was treated to a personal foreward from Chan Wook Park himself before watching this I was not blown away by it but did not hate it. It was overly long, the directors cut at least, and didn't really seem to have any meaning or point, but it was enjoyable. I feel similarly about I'm A Cyborg, although I enjoyed it more, it's a nice film!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Watched this last night, very unique take on the vampire genre, a bit slow moving but keeps you intrigued throughout, excellent acting, after seeing Kang-ho Song in this and The Host I'm looking forward to his next movies.

My wife and I really dug this freaky flick!

Tosh if you want to see that actor in some other outstanding films giving his typically wonderful best, check out J.S.A. and SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE.

One Armed Boxer
after seeing Kang-ho Song in this and The Host I'm looking forward to his next movies.

Tosh if you want to see that actor in some other outstanding films giving his typically wonderful best, check out J.S.A. and SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE.

I agree with Kung Fu Bob 100%, when it comes to Kang-ho Song you could practically spend all day discussing what his best acting roles is, the guy doesn't seem capable of giving a bad performance even if he wanted to....other classics include 'The Quiet Family' (the original movie that Miike Takashi's 'The Happiness of the Katakuris' is based on), 'Shiri', 'Foul King', 'Memories of Murder' and 'The Good, The Bad, & The Weird'....all worth checking out.

One Armed Boxer

I finally got around to watching this last night so thought I`d post my thoughts....kind of embarrassing that I`m also the last person to post in the thead 9 months ago...but nevermind!

An outstanding movie! It`s great to see Song Kang-Ho & Park Chan-Wook teamed up again, their first time together since `Sympathy for Mr Vengeance`, it`s hard to go wrong with such an amazing actor and director.

I will admit to watching the theatrical cut (I bought the Korean 3 DVD set) of the movie, due to hearing more than once that the directors cut is overlong, something which I also did with `The Good, The Bad, The Weird`, having heard similar complaints about the directors cut and having purchased the Korean 3 DVD set.

I would say that the movie flows beautifully, with Chan-Wook`s trademark stunning camerawork being highlighted throughout the running time, managing to show the psychological, physical, and emotional challenges the characters of the movie face. & while I would say that, as expected, it is primarily a character driven movie, it still managed to cram in a surprisingly high amount of blood letting, which should keep the more straight forward horror fans entertained.

One day I`m sure Song Kang-Ho will star in a bad movie, but that day probably isn`t going to be anytime soon.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, so without going into this movie too much, what am I in for should I purchase this? I've seen it in the Moviestops and looked it over but can never commit to buying it.

Action? Gore? Mind twister?

Me and the Mrs. love a good vampire film. Is this one of those overblown with "angst and depression at being a vampire" movies? I mean, I don't mind that as long as it's not the only drum being played.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Okay, so without going into this movie too much, what am I in for should I purchase this? I've seen it in the Moviestops and looked it over but can never commit to buying it.

Action? Gore? Mind twister?

Me and the Mrs. love a good vampire film. Is this one of those overblown with "angst and depression at being a vampire" movies? I mean, I don't mind that as long as it's not the only drum being played.

Some really cool deaths, yes, there is gore, and a really good mind twister near the end.. The sex scenes were really good too!!!:tongue::tongue:

Archived