Sonny CHiba 6 movie Collection. Question.

Solid Ronin

Solid Ronin

I tend to stay away from collections but I'm hungry to see Karate Warriors.

Could anyone tell me the quality of the presentation of the film? I got a horrid copy of KW a few days ago and am hopping not to make the same mistake.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Solid Ronin

Thank you thank you!

Although after some research (which I should have done BEFORE making this thread.) I found out that both DVDs are put out by the same company. so I may make off with The collection ,Which is more Chiba for my buck, and come off with the same version.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thank you thank you!

Although after some research (which I should have done BEFORE making this thread.) I found out that both DVDs are put out by the same company. so I may make off with The collection ,Which is more Chiba for my buck, and come off with the same version.

Hold off on that! I think the KARATE WARRIORS print included on the 6 film collection might be full-screen. The one on the double-bill is in glorious widescreen. I'll check it and let you know. I wouldn't want a fellow Chiba fan missing any snapping bones! :D

Solid Ronin

I was gonna pick it up... then bam The FIRST time I want to pick it up at the Best Buy I always go to doesn't have it... Someones getting a Chiba Street Fighter death blow for this.

Ya know the one where He picked that fat cat in the suit up and killed him with a reverse spinning chop and just looked like he just went to hell an back at the camera for a good 10 seconds... yeah that one. Someones getting that.

kungpowmaster

Yeah, BCI Ronin label released pretty good quality Chiba films, some where in double features, some in sets. I bought them all. Very nice. This 6 film set, is a repackage of what they released before. I love Chiba. I know it's childish maybe, but I think Chiba would have beat Lee in a fair one on one bout.

Oh, and that DVD label folded, so you might wanna get them while they are still available.

They also released a nice Sister Street Fighter set.

And they released the, oh, I can't recall the name now, a widescreen name, oh Rarescope. An all Filmark Ninja Collection, Flicks with Kicks set, not sure if Vol 2 ever came out. Shame they folded. I think they flooded the marker and sold their quality stuff at bargain bin prices, that's what did them in.

Carl

A few screen caps of the Japanese print w/ custom subtitles vs the dubbed American print:

Cut Title screen:-

introi.jpg

capture12032009122304.jpg

Japanese Print:-

chiba.jpg

American Print:-

comp1a.png

Japanese Print:-

comp2b.jpg

American Print:-

comp2a.png

Solid Ronin

While I most certainly love the subtitle action, I like the American print better, it gets hard to see under all that blue/black.

While I most certainly love the subtitle action, I like the American print better, it gets hard to see under all that blue/black.

The American print is definitely a lot better, but as you can see. The image is distorted on the American version.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The American print is definitely a lot better, but as you can see. The image is distorted on the American version.

I fixed it using the X-Y scaling on my DVD player. Then transferred the fixed ratio version to DVD-R.

I almost always prefer subtitled, but I agree with Solid Ronin, and usually find the Japanese remasters look way to dark. So I'm happy just to have this particular title in widescreen, even if it's dubbed.

I fixed it using the X-Y scaling on my DVD player. Then transferred the fixed ratio version to DVD-R.

I almost always prefer subtitled, but I agree with Solid Ronin, and usually find the Japanese remasters look way to dark. So I'm happy just to have this particular title in widescreen, even if it's dubbed.

That's not the Japanese remastered version... vhs transferred to dvd. And since we're talking about one of the films in the Chiba Collection. Here's a few pictures from my Custom Subtitled version of Dragon Princess using the R2J as my source.

Main Movie:

pdvd001cf3.png

pdvd000ka0.png

Trailer:

pdvd002oq2.png

pdvd003qs2.png

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Venom10463- nice job with the subs! For a VHS transfer that KARATE WARRIORS looked great!

Yeah, I think that the Karate Warriors version is TV --> VHS --> DVD so the image quality is really good, all things considered. Hopefully Toei will release it on DVD sometime.

Really great work on Dragon Princess. Awesome film, and so cool to be able to watch the uncut Japanese print (and trailer) in all it's glory with Eng subs.

Archived