More Movies like Shogun Assassin

Raoul Duke

i just watched Shogun Assassin for the first time and it blew my mind.

I've only just begun to watch Kung Fu movies, and out of the very few old school movies i have seen this one impressed me the most so far.

So can someone please shout out some movies that follow or Perseid the style of Shogun Assassin.

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flashlegs Pete Jr

This is an awesome series....from 1-12 the other versions that continued after the deadth of Raizo Ichikawa not yet seen...Raizo Ichikawa is an almost imposibale actor to follow on with this series IMO!!!

Sleepy%20Eyes%20of%20Death%202.gif

I read that shogun assassin is the first two lone wolf movies combined. is it worth buying the first two if i already have shogun assassin?

I read that shogun assassin is the first two lone wolf movies combined. is it worth buying the first two if i already have shogun assassin?

Throw Shogun assasins away and buy all 6 Lone wolfs.... It will change your life ;)

1 Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

2 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx

3 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades

4 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril

5 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons

6 Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell

Shogun Assasins is nothing more but a butchered up Lone Wolf.... I couldn't watch it. I had a hard time understanding it as a Kid considering how much was cut out and pieced together. So yes its well worth buying both Lone Wolf 1 & 2.

BTW There is a shogun assasins 2.... Which is nothing more but Lone Wolf and Cub 3 Labeled Shoguns Assasin 2 and I think it has a Dubb :(

Throw Shogun assasins away and buy all 6 Lone wolfs.... It will change your life ;)

1 Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

2 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx

3 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades

4 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril

5 Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons

6 Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell

Shogun Assasins is nothing more but a butchered up Lone Wolf.... I couldn't watch it. I had a hard time understanding it as a Kid considering how much was cut out and pieced together. So yes its well worth buying both Lone Wolf 1 & 2.

BTW There is a shogun assasins 2.... Which is nothing more but Lone Wolf and Cub 3 Labeled Shoguns Assasin 2 and I think it has a Dubb :(

wow thank you so much i bought Sword of Vengeance and it has changed my life lol

shaolin drunkard

Thread starter might want to check out Jimmy Wang Yu Shaw brothers movies like Golden Swallow,Sword of Swords,One armed Swordsman+sequel,trail of the broken blade..

So can someone please shout out some movies that follow or Perseid the style of Shogun Assassin.

Whats perseid the Style of Shogun Assassin?

You mean Blood, Bad Assness, and Nudity?

You might want to check out Lady Snowblood 1 + 2

After watching Lone Wolf and Cub.... I moved on to Zatoichi, its not really the same type of film. As in really no nudity, in the early films no blood, but there is bad assness and a whole lot more character development.

There are 26 Zatoichi films.... Since your into Lone Wolf... maybe You should pick up the last Zatoichi to see if its for you. Its Called Zatoichi (Darkness is his ally) Also known as Zatoichi 26. I suggest it because it kinda sums up all the other films, plus I think it was a little more bloody then the others. If you like to go back and watch zatoichi 1 through 26... :) Their Great.

The actor who plays Zatoichi (Shintarô Katsu) is the Real life brother of The actor that plays Ittô Ogami AKA Lone Wolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama). Katsu also produced some of the Lone Wolf Series.

Then you have Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series... Which is different actors, but still good.

I think the list can go on and on.... So just get through the Lone Wolf Series and then ask the question again.

If you want more chambara in the style of Lone Wolf/Shogun Assasin, ie. violent, pulpy and action oriented, check out these:

Hanzo the Razor trilogy:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanzo-Razor-Shintar%C3%B4-Katsu/dp/B0007PAMKQ

Shadow Hunters 1+2

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/title.shadow+hunters/qx/titles.htm

The Mikogami Trilogy:

http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/MIKOGAMI.t

Bohachi Bushido:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.545118/qx/details.htm

demon spies:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.537995/qx/details.htm

Lady Snowblood is a good suggestion, first one especially. The second isn't that great. Also, while not strictly a chambara, the two Female Yakuza Tale movies have tons of boobs and violence. If you're a fan of the more exploitative aspects of shogun assasin, you will enjoy these as well.

thsi should be moved to the japanese forum btw

Whats perseid the Style of Shogun Assassin?

You mean Blood, Bad Assness, and Nudity?

You might want to check out Lady Snowblood 1 + 2

After watching Lone Wolf and Cub.... I moved on to Zatoichi, its not really the same type of film. As in really no nudity, in the early films no blood, but there is bad assness and a whole lot more character development.

There are 26 Zatoichi films.... Since your into Lone Wolf... maybe You should pick up the last Zatoichi to see if its for you. Its Called Zatoichi (Darkness is his ally) Also known as Zatoichi 26. I suggest it because it kinda sums up all the other films, plus I think it was a little more bloody then the others. If you like to go back and watch zatoichi 1 through 26... :) Their Great.

The actor who plays Zatoichi (Shintarô Katsu) is the Real life brother of The actor that plays Ittô Ogami AKA Lone Wolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama). Katsu also produced some of the Lone Wolf Series.

Then you have Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series... Which is different actors, but still good.

I think the list can go on and on.... So just get through the Lone Wolf Series and then ask the question again.

"You mean Blood, Bad Assness, and Nudity?"

very well put lol and thanks for the suggestions :D

Guest WuxiaFan

Along the same lines, check out:

Azumi 1 and 2

Zatoichi (2003)

Sword of Doom

Shogun's Samurai

Female Demon Ohyaku

Quick-Draw Okatsu

Okatsu the Fugitive

Blind Woman's Curse

When the Last Sword is Drawn

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

You should check out the WICKED PRIEST series, which stars Lone Wolf himself- Tomisaburo Wakayama.

Last night i watched the first of the three Hanzo the Razor films. and wow i did absolutely no research on this movie before viewing and by no research i mean i did not read about the plot or watch any trailers.

I was surprised when i realized the erection this movie was going in. i started to ask myself is Hanzo Itami the Shaft of the Samurai genre?

hes a bad ass cop who has sex with rice in a wicker basket.

all in all the movie was interesting and i will be checking out the second and third.

But as i said in another post about Shogun Assassin try to get the one from the scandinavian label Another world it make the Vipco release in UK look like an joke. AnimEigos releases of Baby cart series/Lone wolf and cub are the best, stay away from the UK releases.

I'd suggest watching the first 3 Zatoichi movies, then it doesn't matter. If you dig them then your in luck, because all the movies and the tv shows are consistently great.

If you like violence, Sword of Doom is one of my favorites, The Betrayel has a bloody ending. The Samurai Trilogy has some great fights in it(the second movie has a great scene where he gets ambushed by 70 men in the rice patty).

Samurai movies, especially the older ones are more plot driven and slower in pacing, the acting, cinematography, direction, and production values are top notch, check out the classics like Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood.

its funny you mention Seven Samurai a friend of mine was just telling me how great the movie is. hes letting me borrow it this weekend cant wait to check it out

Seven Samurai is a long movie, I think around 3.5 -4 hours, but it's truely a masterpiece, it builds up to one of the greatest endings ever. Not really a violent Samurai movie but Rashomon is also a classic to be watched.

This thread should be in the Japanese section?

as much as i love Kurosawa, Seven Samurai is a pretty big stretch to recommend to somebody looking for things similar to Shogun Assassin. both are great in their own way, SS easily qualifies for a shortlist of the greatest Japanese movies ever, but aside from the setting they have very little in common

I don't know, the Lone Wolf and Cub movies are more exploitative, but there's some serious violence in Seven Samurai, it's just a longer, more character driven, more realistic movie, and the Samurai code is always present in these films. If your attention span is really short you can just watch it in two parts at the intermission.

If you love the movies, pick up the Lone Wolf and Cub manga by Dark Horse Comics. I think you can get the series on ebay for about $5 a book. The entire story is about 3000 pages long and just as awesome as the movies.

Heh, Hanzo the Razor kinda changes your worldview a bit doesn't it lol ;)

Non samurai movies I'd recommend, but that are just as eye opening and exploitatively fun/weird are:

The Battle Wizard ( wizard with giant metal chicken legs, fire breath, kung fu fights)

The Boxer's Omen (One the weirdest and coolest movies ever. Buddhism vs Black magic fights)

Ninja Scroll (awesome samurai/monster/ninja anime!)

Enjoy!

Guest WuxiaFan
You should check out the WICKED PRIEST series, which stars Lone Wolf himself- Tomisaburo Wakayama.

KFB--just finished watching all 6 LWC films over the last couple of months. Absolutely incredible! I love Tomisaburo Wakayama so I will definitely check out WICKED PRIEST.

Other classic samurai films to note: YOJIMBO and SANJURO. Get the lastest Criterion versions--their restoration of these films is superb, plus each film comes with a booklet insert, which is fascinating. Here's a link to the set (pricey, but worth it):

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.540331/qx/details.htm

Also, SEVEN SAMURAI, simply one of the greatest films of all time, get the Criterion 3-disc version. Again, pricey, but truly a treasure of a set worthy of this masterpiece:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.538624/qx/details.htm

Other classic samurai films to note: YOJIMBO and SANJURO. Get the lastest Criterion versions--their restoration of these films is superb, plus each film comes with a booklet insert, which is fascinating. Here's a link to the set (pricey, but worth it):

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.540331/qx/details.htm

Also, SEVEN SAMURAI, simply one of the greatest films of all time, get the Criterion 3-disc version. Again, pricey, but truly a treasure of a set worthy of this masterpiece:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.538624/qx/details.htm

Yet.... Those are nothing like what the topic is asking for. Great Movies to suggest but gees way off from Lone Wolf and Cub.

kungfusamurai

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been moved yet to the Japanese film forum. It's a little OT for the kung fu film section.

I have to say that after the Lone Wolf & Cub films, most samurai flicks come across as a little tame. Even Wakayama's other flicks, like Wicked Priest and Shokin Kasegi (Bounty Hunter) don't have the same quality and quantity of fights and blood like in the LW&C flicks. In terms of fights, you'd have to check out all the Zatoichi flicks starring Shintaro Katsu. Then there are the various films of Hideo Gosha and other directors of the 60s, films like Three Outlaw Samurai, Kill, Sword of Doom. But those emphasize story more than blood.

I wouldn't recommend the chinese swordplay flicks. Different style of fighting, and I haven't been able to get into those films, even though I'm a huge fan of weapons fighting in general. I think the weapon fighting films of the latter day Venoms and Lau Kar Leung are more entertaining. They also tend to have a bit more blood, so you might enjoy those.

Then there's the Sonny Chiba flicks like Street Fighter. Not sword play films, but they contain lots of spurting blood and crunching bones courtesy of Sonny Chiba's fists of steel. :)

KFS

Archived