WMAC Masters-Where are they now?

Guest IRON KAIDEN

Guest IRON KAIDEN

I was wondering if anybody knows if any of the previous stars of WMAC Masters have any recent,and/or current projects. I have seen what is posted on Youtube,but that is all......

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doug maverick

i just took a quick spin through most of the cast imdb. looks like most have been doing stunts or really low grade c movies. my favorite as a kid was warlock who has been doing alot of stunt work. most notably watchmen, and the new forest whitaker martial arts movie repossession mambo.

im sorry but as a kid, and being a HUGE martial arts fanatic.....i thought that was the lamest program i had ever watched. could not stand it

Chinatown Kid

It was definately for kids but I used to like to watch the kicks of some of the performers who were real martial artists. Herb Perez who was an olympic goldmedalist in TKD for one, and the dude called Tsunami, he had some great acrobatics and spinning kicks. That Hakeem dude with the dreadlocks was pretty good too. I think Shannon Lee did commentary or was a host on this show.

i was just thinking about this the other day but i couldn't remember what the name of the show was. Great topic.:D

Oh man, I used to watch this show every Saturday morning. My favorite character was Tsunami. Shannon Lee was indeed the host, Chinatown Kid. This topic sure does bring back memories. :D

Wow...WMAC Masters...I recently showed my kids some clips that were on Youtube and they liked it.

As doug maverick said, lots of them are doing stunt work these days and appearing in B-movies. I saw Christine Bannon-Rodrigues (Lady Lightning) as the villain in X-Treme Fighter (aka Sci-Fighter) with Don Wilson. A lot of the WMAC Masters did stunt work for Power Rangers like Sophia Crawford (Chameleon), Bridgett Riley (Baby Doll), Hien Nguyen (Tsunami), Mike Chatarantabut (Wizard)

Had to revive this for one reason. I went to the bookstore at my public library a few months back and yes, for those who don't know, I still own a VCR along with a DVD and Blu-Ray player. Anyway, I found the first VHS tape of WMAC Masters, which consists of Meet the Masters and Brothers in Arms, the first two episodes of the series. I only paid twenty cents for it.

Showed my kids and they actually liked it:)

UPDATES

Herb "Olympus" Perez runs the Gold Medal Martial Arts Academy in California.

Hien "Tsunami" Nguyen is an instructor at the American Karate studio in Connecticut. Here's a photo of him from 2011

Richard "Yin Yang Man" Branden sadly passed away after a battle with pancreatic cancer on December 11, 2013.

Mike "Turbo" Bernardo runs his own martial arts academy in Ontario, Canada.

Erik "Panther" Betts is still acting now and again in bit parts.

Larry "Warlock" Lam is still active as a stuntman and runs the Studio Kicks martial arts school in California.

Michael "Wizard" Chaturantabut founded the Extreme Martial Arts system and has trained the likes of Taylor Lautner, Matt Mullins, CHINESE ZODIAC's Caitlin Dechelle, and HOUSE OF FURY's Jake Strickland. A former stuntman, he was recently seen at a martial arts event in Orlando where his protege Dechelle won the women's weapons division.

Sophia "Chameleon" Crawford had a successful career as a stunt performer, notably as Sarah Michelle Gellar's double on the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER series. Today, she is a certified fitness instructor and is married to one of the best fight choreographers in American martial arts TV & film IMO, Jeff Pruitt.

Bridgett "Baby Doll" Riley continues success today as an actress and stunt performer.

Christine "Lady Lightning" Rodriguez worked as a stunt performer and actress. She will be making her first film appearance in seven years with a role in THE MARTIAL ARTS KID.

Mer-Mer "Princess" Chen is the co-founder and COO of the non-profit ecological organization SELVA International.

Jamie "Great Wolf" Webster runs the Webster's Karate school in Decatur, Alabama.

Johnny Lee "Tiger Claw" Smith is an instructor at the Triad Martial Arts academy in Cullman, Alabama.

Tracy "Tracer" Swedom is actually martial artist and former actor Michael M. Foley, who played a lead villain in Isaac Florentine's feature film debut DESERT KICKBOXER and played the titular role of Father Daniel, THE DIVINE ENFORCER. Today, he is the head instructor at the Hand to Hand Combat Training Center in Port Falls, Idaho.

I think Will "The Bam" Johnson still runs a school in Maryland. I am pretty sure he is in the Black Belt (Magazine) Hall Of Fame. I remember him being in that along with Hakim Alston, Michelle Krasnoo (who was a pretty big deal competitor back in the day) and even Taimak. Last I heard, he still had a school in New York.

WMAC Masters was a pretty decent show when compared to things airing the same time like the Monster Jam show! Heck, it was better than that Mortal Kombat TV series, too. Honestly, I was teaching kids kung fu classes back then and encouraged all the kids to watch it because it had positive messages about fair play and working hard and being responsible with martial skills. Here is the question for y'all: I distinctly remember toys being associated with WMAC Masters. Was there a video game too? I really think one was announced at one point but I am not sure if it ever actually came about...

Oh I remember Akihiro "Yuji" Noguchi not only was the character of "Cyclone", but he was also the show's fight choreographer. Of course, he was the co-founder of Alpha Stunts and helped Isaac Florentine launch some guy named Adkins with the fight scenes in Special Forces...what was his name? Yes I'm being a complete smartass right now. :P:

Mer Mer(Mimi) Chan works for walt disney studios and was responsible for the motion capturing for the Mulan animated movies.She is also the daughter of martial arts legend grandmaster chan pui the 6th generation leader of Wai Lum Pai kung fu.

On 9/27/2015 at 5:07 AM, Michael L. said:

I think Will "The Bam" Johnson still runs a school in Maryland. I am pretty sure he is in the Black Belt (Magazine) Hall Of Fame.

Yes he does. As a matter of fact, "The Bam" recently worked as fight choreographer and co-star of a locally shot indie martial arts film called The Legend of Kung Funk starring his son Marco "Da Answer" Johnson. "Da Answer" appeared on an episode of WMAC Masters with his father, having the original nickname of "Little Bam" for a demonstration of wushu.

3:09 in this clip shows Bam and Da Answer on WMAC Masters from Season 2

An update on Johnny Lee Smith ("Tiger Claw"). He is the founder of SSGT (Strategic Self-defense & Gunfighting Tactics) Defensive Tactics.

Outside-Strip.jpg

Chris Casamassa (Red Dragon) continues to own his family's Red Dragon martial arts schools, but he has also done work as an actor and stuntman as well as work as a motivational speaker.

chriscircleface.png

"Great Wolf" Jamie Webster in 2011

2018. Jamie and son Grayson Webster doing a form

Hakim "The Machine" Alston

Chris "Red Dragon" Casamassa Interview 

NoKUNGFUforYU

Weird, I used to be in the same Wu Shu class with MiMi at UCLA. Eric was disappointed when she went with Keith Cooke to do/teach Tae Kwon Do. I had no idea she went on to tv. She was much better than me, I just did not have the upper body flexibility to do wu shu. 

Archived