5 Element Ninjas VCD

The Silver Fox

The Silver Fox

My copy of 5 Element Ninjas came in the mail today, courtesy of DDDHouse. I opted to go with the IVL VCD version as I don't have a region free DVD player at this time.

I have to say that the picture and sound quality are excellent, it is widescreen,remastered and aside from having to change the disc-it really was just as good as having the DVD. I know I'm probably not as picky as some people but I was really pleasantly suprised. DDDHouse seem like a nice company to deal with.

I've always had a certain disdain for VCD's, perhaps from picking up some that were less than stellar, but depending on the company I think they really are a viable,cheaper alternative.

The price is pretty attractive too, I picked up 5 Element Ninjas and Avenging Eagle for like 13 bucks. I'm going to watch Avenging Eagle tommorrow, can't wait.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have to say that the picture and sound quality are excellent, it is widescreen,remastered and aside from having to change the disc-it really was just as good as having the DVD.

I've always had a certain disdain for VCD's, perhaps from picking up some that were less than stellar, but depending on the company I think they really are a viable,cheaper alternative.

The price is pretty attractive too, I picked up 5 Element Ninjas and Avenging Eagle for like 13 bucks. I'm going to watch Avenging Eagle tommorrow, can't wait.

After watching many VCDs that looked like complete garbage, I was adamant that I would never buy one again. But when IVL released some of their titles as VCD only, I broke down and bought some. And I agree- the quality of these is far superior to the average release on this medium, and I still enjoyed the films just fine.

Will this be the first time you'll be seeing AVENGING EAGLE? It's a great movie! Must warn you though- for some reason IVL's release of this title was missing a significant bit of it's climactic fight. There's a great thread here:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5125&highlight=AVENGING+EAGLE

...that talks about it, and someone provides a clip where the missing footage is filled in.

when i have the option in chinatown i always opt for the IVL Shaw vcds as opposed to Reg3 dvds. Why pay 13.95 for a dvd i can only play on the player in my room or my laptop, when i can pay 5.95 for a vcd that i can take and play anywhere i go? The extras on the dvd's don't usually entice me much so I don't miss not having them. I find the picture quality is only slightly reduced, allowing for some color adjustments here and there. We've become too spoiled in the dvd age I think, compared to how bad the old VHS dubs were the IVL VCDs look like blu-rays

The Silver Fox

I watched The Avenging Eagle VCD tonight(for the first time). Great flick, I really enjoyed it. The transfer was good as well. I'll have to check that missing footage though, I wonder why they would do that.

Yeah, i really like not having to worry about region codes and stuff with VCD's. One thing though, it was playing in Mandarin and Cantonese at the same time so some audio adjustment was needed, but other than than I plan on picking up more.

My preference for vcd's is also growing, just got Pursuit of Vengeance vcd yesterday, and I'm also happy to not have to worry about region coding.

The Silver Fox

As Alex mentioned, the portability is a big plus. A VCD will play anywhere. You are pretty much stuck watching movies at home when you have region 3 discs, as you are reliant on your region free disc player.

It's nice to able to bring movies with you,lend them out etc. and know that they will work.

Archived