Warrior (2011)

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

Nick Nolte, Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Morrison are set to star in the mixed martial arts fighting drama "Warrior" for Lionsgate reports Variety.

Nolte plays an ex-Vietnam vet boxer-turned-steel mill worker whose family was torn apart by his alcoholism; the now-sober and remorseful dad welcomes back his youngest son (Hardy) and trains him to compete in a mixed martial arts tournament. He and his older brother (Edgerton) are on a collision course in the ring.

Gavin O'Connor and Anthony Tambakis co-wrote the script which O'Connor ("Pride and Glory") will direct and produce along with his brother Greg. Shooting begins in April in Pittsburgh.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first Trailer is up. Looks good for a drama. The fight scenes may look a little improved over others, but guess we will have to wait and see.

Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte, and Kurt Angle star. The film comes out in September.

I dunno. I don't mind the idea of an MMA movie, but they still have to find a good character. Maybe model after a real-life fighter, someone who is a real character like Genki Sudo or Lyoto Machida. Someone who comes from a unique martial arts background but also has a lot of other elements to their life and a clear-cut philosophy on the meaning of fighting and how that fits into the universe.

Instead they're still sticking the Channing Tatum, meathead Marine character.

I dunno. I don't mind the idea of an MMA movie, but they still have to find a good character. Maybe model after a real-life fighter, someone who is a real character like Genki Sudo or Lyoto Machida. Someone who comes from a unique martial arts background but also has a lot of other elements to their life and a clear-cut philosophy on the meaning of fighting and how that fits into the universe.

Instead they're still sticking the Channing Tatum, meathead Marine character.

Have you seen BEYOND THE RING? It stars taekwondo master Andre Lima as himself, a martial arts teacher who must enter an illegal MMA-style fight to raise money to help his daughter, who is suffering from a health disorder that is rendering her blind. It was actually based on some of Lima's real-life experiences.

Have you seen BEYOND THE RING? It stars taekwondo master Andre Lima as himself, a martial arts teacher who must enter an illegal MMA-style fight to raise money to help his daughter, who is suffering from a health disorder that is rendering her blind. It was actually based on some of Lima's real-life experiences.

See, even if it's not a good movie, that's a much better premise.

I'll check it out.

EDIT: Dude. It has Gary Busey. I have to watch it.

See, even if it's not a good movie, that's a much better premise.

I'll check it out.

EDIT: Dude. It has Gary Busey. I have to watch it.

Hehehehe and so is Martin "Sensei Kreese" Kove! Busey plays Lima's agent and Kove is Lima's brother-in-law who tries to help him the legal way.

Update,

There will be a preview screening this Sunday of MMA drama WARRIOR before its official release on September 9. Per Dark Horizons:

"To promote the sneak previews, Lionsgate has partnered with Twitter to designate the hashtag #WARRIORMovieSneakPreview. This will give Twitter's powerful user base a direct link to buy tickets and continue to spread the tremendous word of mouth the film is receiving.

Moviegoers interested in seeing the film can purchase tickets at theaters, or in advance through Movietickets.com, Fandango.com or warriorsneakpreview.com."

And check out this clip of Tom Hardy taking out a cocky fighter in a gym in the film:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810089751/video/26464434

For a Hollywood MMA film, the editing isn't too bad IMO.

ShaOW!linDude

Hardy looks ripped! He'll make for an awesome Bane in the "The Dark Knight Rises". Of course, he'll probably be sporting all manner of body armor. He looks to be pretty intimidating in the poster though.

Archived