THE CHALLENGER

Shaolivevil

Shaolivevil

Any opinons on the film, THE CHALLENGER aka THE DEADLY CHALLENGER?

I've always been curious about this film, as it has virtually the same cast and director as the film ,THE LOOT aka THE BLOODY TATTOO, which was pretty decent...

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Not a s good as THE LOOT, but up there! There's one scene of some silent movie type comedy that just falls flat. But beyond that, it is pretty damn decent! Explosive end fight... a hall of famer, with David Chiang and Tsui Siu Keung VS Ko Fei!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah not as good as The Loot, but I liked the final fight in Challenger more. That special punch that Ko does on Lily Li is so outrageous. One of my favorite moments in KF cinema history.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I couldn't get into the comedy in this movie, even The Loot I didn't really like the comedy, but that silent movie type scene had me cracking up. I just rewatched this and that's the hardest I've laughed during a kung fu movie in a long time.

• Like 1

that silent movie type scene had me cracking up. I just rewatched this and that's the hardest I've laughed during a kung fu movie in a long time.

That scene is not only unique (had never seen anything like it before) it's classic!

• Like 1

Challenger and Loot is okay but their "little brother" Legend of the Owl is the better one, certainly my favourite of the three.

• Like 1

Are Joy Sales DVD's worth picking up? Yes Asia have this for $9 and I'm very tempted.

They're not remastered, but they're decent-looking, widescreen anamorphic prints. They're about $5 each at DDDHouse.

• Like 1

The German DVD is better. Like the Joy Sales DVD, but there should be no ghosting, plus an English dub.

Sadly, the English subtitles still suck.

• Like 1

The HK dvd is cheap and worth the money.

The films action is brilliantly choreographed, comedy put me off a bit....

• Like 1

ironfistedmonk
Shit quality shouldn't be worth money.

It's a decent wide print and is worth the money IMO, there is no better alternative.

• Like 1

It's a decent wide print and is worth the money IMO, there is no better alternative.

But that's the thing, I believe the German DVD has no ghosting AND it has the English dub ;).

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

A good film, but I didn't think the fights were as good as The Loot. But The Loot for me suffered from too much artsy fartsy stylish transitions. Eric Tsang just beat that sh*t to death. A movie should only have 2 or 3, not one every 10 minutes! I still want to see Legend Of The Owl, which features a similar cast. I can't believe I missed that one when I was buying lots of stuff from HK and Taiwan online retailers years ago.

KFS

• Like 1

ironfistedmonk
A good film, but I didn't think the fights were as good as The Loot. But The Loot for me suffered from too much artsy fartsy stylish transitions. Eric Tsang just beat that sh*t to death. A movie should only have 2 or 3, not one every 10 minutes! I still want to see Legend Of The Owl, which features a similar cast. I can't believe I missed that one when I was buying lots of stuff from HK and Taiwan online retailers years ago.

KFS

Legend of the Owl is a parody of kung fu/swordplay movies, there isn't much fighting in it but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, although a lot of the humour went right over my head as I guess you have to be Chinese to understand all the nuances.

I didn't realise the Germans had put out a release of The Challenger, there's been some good stuff coming out of Germany but with the current exchange rate they are too pricey for me now.:cry:

• Like 1

I seriously love this movie, for me its as good as the Loot. Just for that awesome end fight scene I which outdos the Loots ending. Phillip Ko is so mean in this! plus David Chiang is a wee charmer!

Has anyone got the fortune star dvd? Is it worth getting? I've got the vengeance full screen dubbed release

• Like 1

I seriously love this movie, for me its as good as the Loot... Has anyone got the fortune star dvd? Is it worth getting? I've got the vengeance full screen dubbed release

I purchased both in my most recent orders, I'm not that into Kung Fu Comedy, however, the martial arts are great. The DVD's are not too bad, the transfers are similar to Beach of War Gods, and When Tae Kwan Do Strikes. Worth a look, I say.

• Like 1

I just watched this. The silent movie style skit is probably the weirdest thing I've seen outside of the Yuen Clan or any other fantasy kung fu movies.

• Like 2

Apparently there was a film with a lot of the cast and action directors from the Loot and the Deadly Challenger called Mission to Kill from 1983, anyone seen it?

• Like 2