KFC MEMBERS ART GALLERY

KUNG FU BOB

Since the announcement that the first two Police Story films will be released by Criterion, I was inspired to do some artwork for the first film. And if you know me, you know that Police Story is one of my all-time favorites, so it was inevitable that I'd do some fan art for it.

For this drawing, I used chalk pencils, white gel pens, and black Pigma Micron pens on black drawing paper. I started working on this on January 20th and finished earlier today (January 24th). It took approximately 7 hours in total over the past few days. The actual drawing is 8 inches by 10 inches.

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. I might touch up Jackie Chan's face later. And I feel like my drawing of Brigitte Lin looks a bit more like Emily Chu. But still, I'm pretty happy with it, and it was fun trying new materials. I may get around to making something like this for Police Story 2.

I hope you guys like it! Feel free to leave any constructive criticism. (Open in a new tab for a larger image)

2eevuc6.jpg

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 3

I wanted to share some drawings I made this year so far. I'm gonna try to make at least one finished artwork per month, so I can get more practice in. I also have some work-in-progress photos on my Instagram @kenhashibeart (shameless plug!) if you're interested. I hope you all like these, and let me know if you have any constructive criticism or comments or suggestions. Thank you!

Also, a quick note: all of the text was added in digitally.

The first one I did was for my favorite movie from 2019, Bong Joon Ho's Parasite. This one took about 8 hours over the course of two days. I used black Micron pens, a white gel pen, and charcoal. I'm very happy with how this one came out.

1-Parasite-English-page-001.jpg

I also did a quick one for The Lighthouse which is an amazing movie. This one took about 4 hours over the course of two days. I used a white gel pen and white chalk pencils on black paper. I'm not as proud of this one since I kinda rushed the process of making it, but I'm still happy with the design.

The-Lighthouse-page-001-1.jpg

Here's one I did for The Street Fighter, a movie I saw because of @KUNG FU BOB's recommendation. This one took about 5 days (not sure how many hours). I used black Micron pens, a black Copic marker for big areas, charcoal, a white gel pen, white chalk pencils, and watercolor pencils. I probably shouldn't have used watercolor pencils, I'm not a huge fan of the rugged look of the coloring, but I still like this design and am happy with how it came out.

SF4-1.jpg

Here's one for Edgar Wright's Baby Driver which is one of my favorite movies from the past decade. I finally upgraded to alcohol markers, which are amazing. I used black Micron pens, a white gel pen, Copic markers (I only have black and shades of grey), and Artify markers for the coloring (basically a cheap alternative to Copics). This one took 8 days, no idea how many hours, way too long. I originally designed this in 2017 when the film originally came out, but put it on hold since I wasn't confident enough to finish it. However, now that I feel a bit more confident as an artist, I tried it again. I also removed a certain actor from the original design, for obvious reasons.

4-Baby-Driver-2-page-001.jpg

Here's my most recent drawing for Wong Kar Wai's Chungking Express. I decided to be very experimental with this one and tried something completely different. I don't think it was entirely successful, but I had fun trying something new. This one took 8 hours over the course of two days. I used black Micron pens, Copic markers, and Artify markers.

Chungking-Express-1-page-001.jpg

• Like 5

DragonClaws
On 4/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, KenHashibe said:

Here's one I did for The Street Fighter, a movie I saw because of @KUNG FU BOB's recommendation. This one took about 5 days (not sure how many hours). I used black Micron pens, a black Copic marker for big areas, charcoal, a white gel pen, white chalk pencils, and watercolor pencils. I probably shouldn't have used watercolor pencils, I'm not a huge fan of the rugged look of the coloring, but I still like this design and am happy with how it came out.

All round great work @KenHashibe, I really like The Street Fighter inspired peice you created.

• Like 3

KenHashibe
On 4/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, DragonClaws said:

All round great work @KenHashibe, I really like The Street Fighter inspired peice you created.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the comment, I'm glad you like it! :smile

• Like 3

Jesse Smooth

A sketch I did ten years ago. I’m still developing my own style that I want to incorporate with HK Manhua and Manga.  

D9867B7A-C109-44A2-9F30-1CCF2013475B.jpeg

• Like 4

Jesse Smooth

This one, I used an existing drawing found online as the model and mimicked it with my own touches. Still just a sketch.

FBAF3C2A-A577-4112-B4AE-43DD13E9651D.jpeg

• Like 4

It's that time again when I share some drawings I made since the last time I posted. I'm continuing to try to make at least one artwork each month to get extra practice. It's also time to plug my Instagram (@kenhashibeart) which has some work-in-progress photos if you're interested. I hope you all like these, and let me know if you have any constructive criticism or comments or suggestions. Thank you!

Finished April 20th: The first one is a tribute to Japanese director Nobuhiko Obayashi (most famous for House) who passed away in April. I wanted to include some of the trademarks to his style (vibrant sunsets, black-and-white, characters in frames). This one took two days, IIRC.

6-Nobuhiko-1-page-001.jpg

Finished May 29th: This second one is an album cover I did for an album that doesn't exist. There's a music critic on YouTube named Anthony Fantano, and he ocassionally plays a character named Cal Chuchesta, who is a Wisconsin-accented, wannabe rapper. So I decided to make an artwork for an imaginary album, if he were to ever release one. This one took about five days. The glossy surface on the record sleeve was a PAIN to work on.

7-calzone.jpg

Finished June 30th: This last one was for Dragon Fist, a severely underrated Jackie Chan movie in my opinion. I started this in 2017 and took a three-year break before coming back to it. I used a "hatching technique" which is a huge pain, and I'm certainly not the best at it, but it was a fun attempt.

8-dragonfist.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 7:33 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

This one, I used an existing drawing found online as the model and mimicked it with my own touches. Still just a sketch.

FBAF3C2A-A577-4112-B4AE-43DD13E9651D.jpeg

I love these two sketches you posted! Were these both from ten years ago? I'd love to see what you can make with your current skillset.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 6

Here's one more I just finished for Oldboy (2003). This one took about 4-5 hours to make. I was working on it while doing a livestream, so that kinda forced me to focus and not procrastinate since I had people watching me work. I decided to experiment a bit, using squiggly lines for the shading. I'm mostly happy with how it came out and I hope you all like it too.

9-Oldboy-FINAL.jpg

• Like 5

Jesse Smooth
On 7/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, KenHashibe said:

It's that time again when I share some drawings I made since the last time I posted. I'm continuing to try to make at least one artwork each month to get extra practice. It's also time to plug my Instagram (@kenhashibeart) which has some work-in-progress photos if you're interested. I hope you all like these, and let me know if you have any constructive criticism or comments or suggestions. Thank you!

Finished April 20th: The first one is a tribute to Japanese director Nobuhiko Obayashi (most famous for House) who passed away in April. I wanted to include some of the trademarks to his style (vibrant sunsets, black-and-white, characters in frames). This one took two days, IIRC.

6-Nobuhiko-1-page-001.jpg

Finished May 29th: This second one is an album cover I did for an album that doesn't exist. There's a music critic on YouTube named Anthony Fantano, and he ocassionally plays a character named Cal Chuchesta, who is a Wisconsin-accented, wannabe rapper. So I decided to make an artwork for an imaginary album, if he were to ever release one. This one took about five days. The glossy surface on the record sleeve was a PAIN to work on.

7-calzone.jpg

Finished June 30th: This last one was for Dragon Fist, a severely underrated Jackie Chan movie in my opinion. I started this in 2017 and took a three-year break before coming back to it. I used a "hatching technique" which is a huge pain, and I'm certainly not the best at it, but it was a fun attempt.

8-dragonfist.jpg

I love these two sketches you posted! Were these both from ten years ago? I'd love to see what you can make with your current skillset.

Well, the real world kept me Fromm passions for a while, but that’s changed. I have a few works in progress where I will use my talents. Just working off the rust first. 😉

• Like 5

On 7/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

Well, the real world kept me Fromm passions for a while, but that’s changed. I have a few works in progress where I will use my talents. Just working off the rust first. 😉

I totally understand. My personal life often gets in the way of some of the art I wanna work on. But I'm glad to hear you have some time set aside for art recently! I'm excited to see what you'll be working on! 

On 7/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

@KenHashibeI dig that DRAGON FIST!

Thank you so much! This one took way too long to make, but I'm glad you like it!

• Like 4

Hi there! Here's a quick art update. I hope you all like them. Please leaves any comments or constructive criticism if you have any; I'm still trying to learn and improve. (And here's a shameless plug for my art account: https://www.instagram.com/kenhashibeart/)

On January 3rd, I completed a portrait of Tyler, the Creator who I recently became a massive fan of. My friend had me listen to Flower Boy and Igor, and I thought both were amazing! For this piece, I used charcoal, watercolor, and a white pen for highlights.

tylerrrrrr.thumb.jpeg.97e4aa8dd0b4293d7919ff2a9eea72ef.jpeg

I also completed a piece for Talking Heads which I completed on March 5th for a fanzine that someone was putting together. Here's a link to more info if you're interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIBbScrqpH/ For this piece, I used a black Copic marker, black Micron pens, colored pencils, a chalk pencil, and gouache.

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.1fbbba6c573f2ba2790992883c182328.JPG

• Like 6

Hi there! Another quick art update. I recently finished a poster for the 1988 anime movie Akira. I had a lot of fun working on this piece. Since Akira is one of my favorite movies ever, I wanted to do a really good job with it, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

This ended up taking approximately 20 hours to make: 3 hours to create the design on Gimp, 7 hours to sketch onto an 11x17 paper, 4 hours to ink, and 6 hours to color. I hope you all like it! 

akiraFINAL1.thumb.png.8230e50baee713fe0909824d4f3ce28d.png

• Like 5