KFC MEMBERS ART GALLERY

KUNG FU BOB

The Silver Fox

Here are some  paintings I've done recently. Been doing some juried shows and selling a few. I realize non objective/abstract art probably won't be everyone's cup of tea but it is what I paint. 

DSCN4230.JPG

DSCN4220.JPG

DSCN4284.JPG

DSCN3288.JPG

DSCN4598.JPG

DSCN4568.JPG

DSCN4127.JPG

DSCN4065.JPG

• Like 3

Here's my latest drawing for probably one of my top 10 favorite kung fu movies, Dirty Ho. I rewatched Dirty Ho a couple days ago and decided to start working on this. Later, I found out that Celestial Pictures was having a fan art contest, so I finished this quickly and ended up winning a Shaw Brothers t-shirt! I hope you guys like it.

https://www.facebook.com/ShawBrothersUniverse/

akzc0j.jpg

• Like 8

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

After a morning of basking in the fu glory of our dear Foot Doctor Wilson Tong and staring his Nanwu Li Wo from Spiritual Boxer on my desktop.

This is what I've been doing for part of this afternoon. Pencil on paper...  

I welcome all critique.  I am pretty happy given no formal training and I haven't attempted to do anything like this for a very long time. 

Wilson Tong Li Wo take 1.jpg

• Like 3

After a morning of basking in the fu glory of our dear Foot Doctor Wilson Tong and staring his Nanwu Li Wo from Spiritual Boxer on my desktop.

This is what I've been doing for part of this afternoon. Pencil on paper...  

I welcome all critique.  I am pretty happy given no formal training and I haven't attempted to do anything like this for a very long time. 

Wilson Tong Li Wo take 1.jpg

Very nice! Much more detailed than anything I've ever drawn. I can't really critique this since I don't know much at all about drawing too, but still, very good.

I actually attempted to draw a more detailed pencil drawing of Fu Sheng as Na Cha. I'll probably get around to posting it someday.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks Ken, I'd like to see that drawing of Fu as Na Cha and your cartoons are always a blast. 

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thank you, Tosh.  Appreciate the comments. So much talent in this thread...

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2016 at 5:37 PM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Thanks Ken, I'd like to see that drawing of Fu as Na Cha and your cartoons are always a blast. 

x4kzk.jpg

I drew this last year. It was fun trying to draw something more detailed but still kinda cartoony. I plan on drawing more stuff like the Dirty Ho drawing for other movies except maybe a bit more detailed.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 6

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
1 hour ago, KenHashibe said:

I drew this last year. It was fun trying to draw something more detailed but still kinda cartoony.

:BL-GoodJob: Thanks for sharing that Ken. It's wonderful. You completely captured that moment. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2016 at 5:07 PM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

:BL-GoodJob: Thanks for sharing that Ken. It's wonderful. You completely captured that moment. 

Thanks, Lady Jin. It was fun making this. I want to try doing more stuff like this soon.

• Like 2

I spent my first day of summer vacation making a drawing for one of my favorite 80's Japanese movies, Sailor Suit and Machine Gun (1981). It took three and a half hours in total. I mainly drew this so I could experiment with shading and since I love the movie. I hope you guys like it. I'm really happy with how this turned out. (open image in new tab to see a more detailed image)

1tubsp.jpg

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 5

• Administrator

I haven't posted here for a while. Been too busy drawing. :tongue: Anyway, here are some of the things I've done since last time I posted in this thread.

Cover artwork I did for TVP- The Vengeance Pack...

THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1972, aka. OUTLAW OF THE FOREST), available here: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=316&products_id=65346&language=uk .

CHALLENGE THE DRAGON (1973, aka. The Way of the Tiger), English dub included, available soon.

Cover artwork for Scorpion...

HUMONGOUS (1982), available here: https://roninflix.com/collections/horror

Cover artwork for Code Red...

JUNGLE HOLOCAUST (1977, aka. THE LAST SURVIVOR), available soon.

DEVIL'S EXPRESS (1976, aka. GANG WAR), available soon.

Poster/Cover art for Mark Savage's film PURGATORY ROAD (2016).

DELIGHTFUL FOREST- Finished Cover Art - Lo-Rez Sample.jpg

19184398_1941798106098070_354059879_n.jpg

CHALLENGE THE DRAGON- Finished Art (SAMPLE).jpg

HUMONGOUS- Finished Cover Art (Low Rez SAMPLE).jpg

JUNGLE HOLOCUAST- Finished Cover Art (Low Rez Sample,Scorpion).jpg

DEVIL'S EXPRESS- low rez SAMPLE.jpg

PURGATORY ROAD- FINAL POSTER ART (LOW REZ SAMPLE).jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I haven't posted here for a while. Been too busy drawing. :tongue: Anyway, here are some of the things I've done since last time I posted in this thread.

Superb artwork dude, love the Challenge The Dragon peice.

If you've got any spare time, I've a spare room that could really do with some artwork to lven up the bland walls.

I'm thinking the Cistene Chapel by Michelangelo, only with a Kung Fu movie theme.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I last posted on this thread, but I've gotten a few new pieces done since then. Hope you guys enjoy them! (open each image in a new tab for a larger image)

1. Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (completed sometime between Sept and Nov 2017, not sure exactly when)

2zivn0k.jpg

I also got around to seeing all 25 Zatoichi movies recently (or at least the ones recently by Criterion). And I wanted to experiment with charcoal so I worked on this.

2. Zatoichi (completed either Oct or Nov 2017)

2mots1d.jpg

Here's a portrait I did of 80's J-pop star, Tomoyo Harada.

3. Tomoyo Harada (completed Dec 2017)

fxqqs8.jpg

Since Valentine's Day was around the corner, I had an excuse to draw two people making out without people asking why. :laugh I love this movie too.

4. As Tears Go By (completed Feb 15th, 2018)

11ik0b4.jpg

This is probably the strangest of the bunch. A friend of mine asked me to draw him a picture combining Jackie Chan and Pikachu (for some reason). So I made PIKACHAN! (ピカチェン!)

5. Pikachan! (completed Feb 16th, 2018)

muyi6p.jpg

• Like 5

Some superb artwork there dude, especially the charcoal drawing, are you sure that was your first attempt?, looks really good.

The PikaChan's a bit scary looking.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 1:21 PM, DragonClaws said:

Some superb artwork there dude, especially the charcoal drawing, are you sure that was your first attempt?, looks really good.

Thanks a bunch, @DragonClaws! I really appreciate the comment!

The Zatoichi drawing was my first attempt at charcoal, but I had someone who knew what they were doing by my side to give me pointers throughout.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:21 PM, DragonClaws said:

The PikaChan's a bit scary looking.

I've gotten a wide range of responses to Pikachan. Some think it's cute, some think it's scary, most think it's pretty funny. I showed it to one of my friends and he told me to "Burn it with fire." :laugh

• Like 2

I've gotten a wide range of responses to Pikachan. Some think it's cute, some think it's scary, most think it's pretty funny. I showed it to one of my friends and he told me to "Burn it with fire." :laugh

I had a nightmare about being chased by a horde of Pikachan's, it was traumatic to say the least:laugh

The Zatoichi drawing was my first attempt at charcoal, but I had someone who knew what they were doing by my side to give me pointers throughout.

Even with someone giving you pointers, its a great first attempt.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Hey @KenHashibe it's great to see more of your work! :bigsmile:

The SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN piece has a very cool, dynamic composition. Wonderful use of the various poses and the spears to create an engaging pattern and draw in the viewer's eye.

Your first charcoal (with helpful supervision or not) is a really well done rendering. You picked up on the basics of shading with them quite nicely, and are already utilizing the subtleties that working in this medium provides. Good likeness and feeling of the character's spirit. :BL-GoodJob: I'm curious of your thoughts on the Zatoichi films. I have to assume you enjoyed them a great deal though, or you wouldn't have watched all 25 films from the Criterion set. :wink: I'll peek in the Japanese section and see if you posted about them. Oh, and by the way, the 26th film is terrific and well-worth getting. It features an older, silver-speckled Ichi, was directed by Shintaro Katsu, and plays almost like a "best of" the series entry, with many callbacks to previous films.

The portrait of Tomoyo is a good likeness too. If I may offer some unsolicited advice though? :itwasntme Best to always avoid the temptation to draw lips as solid lines. This detracts from the natural feel/flow of features. Many people also tend to do this with noses, but I think you got her nose down right. Hope you don't mind me saying the above, but I think it will help you get even better, and personally, I always like constructive feedback and find it helpful.

The AS TEARS GO BY drawing is very good too; it elicits the passion from that scene in the film. The faint lines across it make me wonder if you rolled it after finishing it? Dust from the charcoal falls from the paper's surface and can gather, making smudges, lines, streaks, etc on your art. Some people go back in after finishing their charcoal drawings and clean up the backgrounds with a kneaded eraser. For me, I like a little natural smear/shading in the background, and usually only use the eraser for light "cleaning" and to make the highlights pop. I would recommend that once you are done your drawing you spray it with a fixative, which are available in all art stores. This will preserve your piece and ensure that it doesn't get smeared/smudged once it's completed, and stays looking as you intended it to forever. As I am self taught, when I was very young I didn't know this, and after years of handling, my early pencil and charcoal pieces are all compromised, losing their sharpness, and appearing a bit "foggy". Learn from my foolish mistakes, and don't let this same thing happen to your work. It's absolutely worth preserving, little brother.

"Pikachan" is very amusing, but your friend's subtle critique "Burn it with fire." had me roaring. :rofl Nothing like a friend to give it you straight, huh? I recall a buddy commenting on a drawing I did of Stallone back when we were around 13- "It looks great. Just... looks like maybe he got hit by a car and messed up a little, or something." :tongue: Hahaha. :xd:

Keep up the great work Ken, and please keep sharing here on this thread. :clappinghands

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I had a nightmare about being chased by a horde of Pikachan's, it was traumatic to say the least:laugh

I'm sorry for putting that image in your head. :laugh Sweet dreams!

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Even with someone giving you pointers, its a great first attempt.

Thank you, @DragonClaws!

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey @KenHashibe it's great to see more of your work! :bigsmile:

The SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN piece has a very cool, dynamic composition. Wonderful use of the various poses and the spears to create an engaging pattern and draw in the viewer's eye.

Your first charcoal (with helpful supervision or not) is a really well done rendering. You picked up on the basics of shading with them quite nicely, and are already utilizing the subtleties that working in this medium provides. Good likeness and feeling of the character's spirit. :BL-GoodJob:

Thanks @KUNG FU BOB! That means a lot coming from you.

I'm curious of your thoughts on the Zatoichi films. I have to assume you enjoyed them a great deal though, or you wouldn't have watched all 25 films from the Criterion set. :wink: I'll peek in the Japanese section and see if you posted about them. Oh, and by the way, the 26th film is terrific and well-worth getting. It features an older, silver-speckled Ichi, was directed by Shintaro Katsu, and plays almost like a "best of" the series entry, with many callbacks to previous films.

I really enjoyed all of the ZATOICHI movies. I started watching them in mid-October and managed to finish them before the end of the year. I didn't post my thoughts of them in the Japanese section. I feel that ones that really stood out to me as some of my favorites include NEW TALE OF ZATOICHI (1963), ZATOICHI THE FUGITIVE (1963), FIGHT ZATOICHI FIGHT (1964), ZATOICHI AND THE CHESS EXPERT (1965), ZATOICHI'S PILGRIMAGE (1966), and ZATOICHI IN DESPERATION (1972). I think my very favorite is either ZATOICHI CHALLENGED (1967) or SAMARITAN ZATOICHI (1968). I notice a lot of my favorites were directed by Kenji Misumi.

For my mini-reviews of the entire series, you'd have to look through my Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/aaronsmovielog/

I've been meaning to see the 26th film (plus all the remakes/sequels/spin-offs), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The portrait of Tomoyo is a good likeness too. If I may offer some unsolicited advice though? :itwasntme Best to always avoid the temptation to draw lips as solid lines. This detracts from the natural feel/flow of features. Many people also tend to do this with noses, but I think you got her nose down right. Hope you don't mind me saying the above, but I think it will help you get even better, and personally, I always like constructive feedback and find it helpful.

I partially posted these with the hope that I'd receive a bit of constructive criticism, so no worries! :wink

I couldn't help but draw the lips with solid lines. :laugh What would you suggest I do instead? Maybe some lines for shading?

The AS TEARS GO BY drawing is very good too; it elicits the passion from that scene in the film. The faint lines across it make me wonder if you rolled it after finishing it? Dust from the charcoal falls from the paper's surface and can gather, making smudges, lines, streaks, etc on your art. Some people go back in after finishing their charcoal drawings and clean up the backgrounds with a kneaded eraser. For me, I like a little natural smear/shading in the background, and usually only use the eraser for light "cleaning" and to make the highlights pop. I would recommend that once you are done your drawing you spray it with a fixative, which are available in all art stores. This will preserve your piece and ensure that it doesn't get smeared/smudged once it's completed, and stays looking as you intended it to forever. As I am self taught, when I was very young I didn't know this, and after years of handling, my early pencil and charcoal pieces are all compromised, losing their sharpness, and appearing a bit "foggy". Learn from my foolish mistakes, and don't let this same thing happen to your work. It's absolutely worth preserving, little brother.

I tried using grid enlargement for AS TEARS GO BY and I honestly got lazy and didn't get to erase the lines entirely. :laugh I should've erased the lines before I started shading. I may attempt to go back and undo those lines later.

I will definitely get around to spraying the charcoal pieces with a fixative. As of right now, they're paper-clipped to another piece of paper as a covering.

"Pikachan" is very amusing, but your friend's subtle critique "Burn it with fire." had me roaring. :rofl Nothing like a friend to give it you straight, huh? I recall a buddy commenting on a drawing I did of Stallone back when we were around 13- "It looks great. Just... looks like maybe he got hit by a car and messed up a little, or something." :tongue: Hahaha. :xd:

Gotta appreciate the people who get straight to the point with their constructive criticism. :coveredlaugh

Keep up the great work Ken, and please keep sharing here on this thread. :clappinghands

Thanks again, big brother. Will do.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1