KFC MEMBERS ART GALLERY

KUNG FU BOB

Close up photo of the drawing I done of HJL.

I don't have a A3 scanner so I took a pic of it.

It's done with a combination of color pencils and ball point pens.

I tried to include as many varied facial expressions and different colored outfits.

post-1020-144191901995_thumb.jpg

• Administrator

I tried to include as many varied facial expressions and different colored outfits.

[ATTACH]1768[/ATTACH]

That's really great work MLee! You nailed his likeness in each of the expressions, and the color work, especially on his fancily decorated robe is superb. :bigsmile:

Hwang Jang-Lee must have loved it!

MLee that is an awesome piece of HJL artwork. I love the mixture of color pencils and pens!!!

Also Bob totally awesome that Scott Adkins loves the artwork and after seeing the piece how could he not??? :tongue:

So awesome guys thanks for posting.

Secret Executioner

[ATTACH]1768[/ATTACH]

Great material here - I like the various expressions and outfits you included there. :bigsmile:

Is the HJL sans moustache from/based on Buddhist Fist And Tiger Claws ? IIRC, he doesn't sport a moustache and wears a blue jacket kinda like the one you drew in this film.

KUNG FU BOB: Thanks! Yeah that robe was a killer and took ages to finish!

Yes Hwang looked at all of them but this one seemed to catch his eye the most!

gorhama: Thanks. For some reason that mixture of pencil and pen seems to work for me!

Godfrey Ho worshipper: Thanks! Actually it's from Hitman in the hand of Buddha!

KUNG FU BOB: Thanks! Yeah that robe was a killer and took ages to finish!

Yes Hwang looked at all of them but this one seemed to catch his eye the most!

gorhama: Thanks. For some reason that mixture of pencil and pen seems to work for me!

Godfrey Ho worshipper: Thanks! Actually it's from Hitman in the hand of Buddha!

I understand about a technique working for you. I've been working with Copic markers lately trying to get better at using them. I'm just irritated by some artists who seem to work with all mediums (ahem KF Bob). I say irritated but I really mean inspired!!!

• Administrator
I understand about a technique working for you. I've been working with Copic markers lately trying to get better at using them. I'm just irritated by some artists who seem to work with all mediums (ahem KF Bob). I say irritated but I really mean inspired!!!

LOL Just so you know, it wasn't always that way. When I was a kid I used crayons of course, but after that, for a long time I was very stubborn and only wanted to work with pencil. Whenever I would finally be pushed to try something new, then I'd only want to work in that medium! :tongue: It wasn't until I was a teenager that I started mixing mediums and switching freely between them.

Probably your main problem is that you weren't a dork with no friends that never played any sports. If that was the case, then you'd have had plenty of time to practice drawing. :wink:

LOL Just so you know, it wasn't always that way. When I was a kid I used crayons of course, but after that, for a long time I was very stubborn and only wanted to work with pencil. Whenever I would finally be pushed to try something new, then I'd only want to work in that medium! :tongue: It wasn't until I was a teenager that I started mixing mediums and switching freely between them.

Probably your main problem is that you weren't a dork with no friends that never played any sports. If that was the case, then you'd have had plenty of time to practice drawing. :wink:

Wait.......I'm a dork now with no friends that why I am practicing drawing later in life!!! :wink:

I wish that was the case...but it's a mixture of getting home from work, martial arts training and other family stuff that I get lazy and don't practice as much as I need too. Last night I drew for over 2 hours and it was nice!!

gorhama: Well it was through trial and error! Years ago I always mainly done b&w pencil artwork. I gradually moved on to working with colors as that was always my weakness.

But I've tried a variety of different media like pencil, pastels, paint and charcoal.

Never got very good with most of them!

Pen became my fav media of choice. I gradually combined it with using color pencils and even felt tip pen markers.

Thought I'd post some wip pics of the HJL drawing.

post-1020-144191902732_thumb.jpg

Kid from Kwantung I like HJL's facial expression here and it was difficult but fun to draw!

post-1020-144191902804_thumb.jpg

Buddha Assassinator overall might have been the hardest ref pic to draw with his face and robe. It took me ages to get his face right. At first it looked like Bak Biu! My younger brother told me a straight face can sometimes be more difficult to get right and he wasn't joking!

post-1020-144191902865_thumb.jpg

Originally Hitman in the hand of Buddha was going to be right at the top but somehow I changed it. This was from a dvd screencap as I had no decent ref pics to draw from.

post-1020-144191902925_thumb.jpg

Instant kungfu Man had probably the most detailed face to draw! The skin lines, gritted teeth and grey hair took ages to finish!

• Like 2

• Administrator

[ATTACH]1793[/ATTACH]

Kid from Kwantung I like HJL's facial expression here and it was difficult but fun to draw!

[ATTACH]1794[/ATTACH]

Buddha Assassinator overall might have been the hardest ref pic to draw with his face and robe. It took me ages to get his face right. At first it looked like Bak Biu! My younger brother told me a straight face can sometimes be more difficult to get right and he wasn't joking!

[ATTACH]1795[/ATTACH]

Originally Hitman in the hand of Buddha was going to be right at the top but somehow I changed it. This was from a dvd screencap as I had no decent ref pics to draw from.

[ATTACH]1796[/ATTACH]

Instant kungfu Man had probably the most detailed face to draw! The skin lines, gritted teeth and grey hair took ages to finish!

I love seeing your work-in-progress photos and reading about the process MLee. :bigsmile: It's great getting to see the detail of your work in these closer photos. Great skills brother!

If you don't mind me asking, are you using a regular Bic pen? That's what it looks like in the one photo. Do you have a favorite brand of color pencils?

I have this one kind of color pencils that after drawing with them, you can use water on a brush to blend them. So cool!

Thanks Bob!!! I usually don't show wip pics. Especially when a face is incomplete cos there's still a chance I could mess it up. But I thought it would be fun so I went for it!

You are right it is a regular BIC pen! It's the pen I started with so I always stuck with it.

I just use regular basic art materials. Nothing really professional. The color pencils and color ball point pens are bought from a shop called whsmith under their brand. Same with the sketch pads.

I found these random kung fu doodles recently that I drew in probably 2011/12 when I was meant to be doing more productive studying.

post-1037-14419190432_thumb.jpg

I'm certainly not as good as some of the other members here, but I thought I'd show some of my drawings that I've done over the years. I usually just draw for fun. A lot of these are just goofy little cartoons, but I thought I'd still share some of them.

Chinatown Capers (1974):

n6xb0j.jpg

An unfinished drawing of Armour of God (1986):

famyyu.jpg

Five Element Ninjas (1982) with some terribly written Chinese on it (also the costumes are drawn wrong, but I think it still looks cool):

22yu0k.jpg

One of my favorite (non-action) scenes from Police Story (1985) (a bit hard to see, sorry):

2070rvq.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I found these random kung fu doodles recently that I drew in probably 2011/12 when I was meant to be doing more productive studying.[/quote

Nice doodles. We can never have enough Gyonsi drawings on here!

Fun stuff man. My favorite is the POLICE STORY one. :wink:

Fun stuff man. My favorite is the POLICE STORY one. :wink:

Thanks! I usually just draw stuff like this for fun. Certainly not as good as any of your work, but I think some of my drawings are still pretty decent.

BTW I'm looking forward to the new Japanese movie-themed shirt. I have a guess of what it is, but I won't say anything until it's revealed. :wink:

I'll probably post some more of my drawings later.

KenHashibe

Here's a goofy drawing that I just finished for Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena. I made a few rough sketches, scanned them into my computer, and digitally inked it. I hope you guys like it.

23wwpdl.jpg

Secret Executioner
Here's a goofy drawing that I just finished for Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena. I made a few rough sketches, scanned them into my computer, and digitally inked it. I hope you guys like it.

23wwpdl.jpg

That's a really cool artwork, I found this pretty funny actually. :xd:

KenHashibe
That's a really cool artwork, I found this pretty funny actually. :xd:

Thanks a lot, GHW. I like to draw stuff like this. The more that I look at this, the more mistakes that I notice, but I still like how it turned out. :tongue:

[ATTACH]1793[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1795[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1796[/ATTACH]

can we see the final product

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

23wwpdl.jpg

Yes, I definitely like it. :bigsmile:

Thanks a lot, GHW. I like to draw stuff like this. The more that I look at this, the more mistakes that I notice, but I still like how it turned out. :tongue:

Seeing your mistakes helps you to improve and grow as an artist (any kind of artist- martial, cooking, sculpting), so you are in the right frame of mind. Those that think they have no room for improvement become stagnant, and cheat themselves of further advancement.

My only piece that related to kungfu. Recently done as well.

I love this piece Delirious! Two of my favorite things- Bruce Lee and psychedelic art- combined. Thanks for sharing this. I'll be returning to look at it again for sure. Can you share what mediums you used to create it?

can we see the final product

Yes MLee, I was wondering the same. Have you finished your drawing, and can we please see it?

I love this piece Delirious! Two of my favorite things- Bruce Lee and psychedelic art- combined. Thanks for sharing this. I'll be returning to look at it again for sure. Can you share what mediums you used to create it?

It was done mostly in micron pens, also a bit of color pencils, dip pens, and brushes. I actually have a work in progress video here.

https://vimeo.com/128934630

• Like 1