Tosh

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
I seriously want and need to see this -

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/bigmanjapan/

Anyone seen this yet?

My friend forced me to watch this- without giving me a hint what it was about- and knowing that I would have to leave 20 minutes into it (for a prior engagement). Right from the start I was mystified, and totally intrigued. Then when the big reveal came and I knew what it was all about, I couldn't wait to see the rest! He promised he would send it to me as I pulled myself away from the screen, but he never did!

That was like 2 years ago I think. Is it finally getting a stateside release?

Magnolia picked it up so I'm not sure if it's getting a limited theatrical release or just on dvd, regardless I'm there, this movie looks too sweet!XD I read some reviews seems pretty interesting and bizarre, in the way only the Japanese can deliverXD

I know it came to Austin last year but that theater gets a lot of rare stuff, but its supposed to have a limited theater release, or maybe already has...

I watched it last year on dvd. Funny movie with a twisted sense of humour. Just don't expect it to make much sense at the end. You've been warned.

SlothStyleKungFu

Its pretty good. It has the typical Japanese sense of humor, much of it purposefully lame and silly, and that oh-so-slow pacing. The whole documentary aspect adds into that, this weird naturalism bracing agaisnt a fantasy premise. It would make a good double feature with Miike's "Zebraman."

It was really funny to see some people slag on the CGI for being subpar and flat. I think that was the whole point, to do a modern CGI version of classic model Kaiju . Its meant to have this false veneer and the monsters to have a lack of expression. You can tell thats what they meant to do just by the awkward, anti-action tone of all the monster "battles."

Never heard of this film before this thread, one look at the trailer and I bought a copy though. Fricking love this movie, couple watches later... Love the humour, comedic pacing, pitch, unravelling... too many highlights. Plus when you really think about it, it runs even deeper, with tangible social commentary, open to just being brilliantly silly fun or running even deeper with a heavier glance at its make-up. Some heavy tangy aftertaste that leaves me wanting to check it again... Too much fun this one.

Oh, and I thought the cgi was nice, wowed me plenty, what with the imagination in play and whatnot; good eye from the graphics guys for sure.

Sweet I'll have to check down at the store and see if they have this, or order it online, the complaints I've seen people having on this movie it seemed like they didn't "get it" maybe? I saw nothing wrong with the cgi, the monster designs looked great, really looking forward to this one now.

I've took to blockbuster (dang do I miss my rental stores in atlanta) the last couple weeks trying to catch up on a few movies I haven't seen in the theater, was surprised to see this.

The movie is... something else, the premises is great, I mean humans or robots growing to giant sizes to fight monsters isn't new but the way they introduce it is unique, the fight scenes are outrages, I love how they profiled the monsters before hand, best part of the movie is when he's arguing with the stink monster, he's like - get out of here!, she's like - no, I just got here, I think I'll stay - while kicking cars and breaking windows - Stop That! hilarious:xd: The old b/w footage of his great grandfather was really cool to, all the geishas taking care of him, I wanted to see more.

The documentury part I did find dragging, it was a refreshing way to come at it. I don't mind the lingering thoughtful shot but it got to be annoying, I understand the underlining social commentary here and really kind of felt sorry for the guy.

The ending wtf?:xd: I'll have to give this another watch, I'd love to see a sequel, as a fan of giant monster movies this was a treat!

That ending is pure Downtown comedy - out of nowhere and physically abusive!

The director, Hitoshi Matsumoto (also writer/main actor) is part of the comedy duo Downtown with Masatoshi Hamada. A lot of the actors that appear as monsters are in their tv skits as well. I highly recommend checking out their tv show if you liked this film. A ton of material is subtitled on YouTube and a must watch is SIlent Library (not the lame MTV ripoff) and the Gaki no Tsukai - "no laughing" Batsu specials.

I so want to see this because I've been a big fan of Hitoshi Matsumoto since 1998, which I watched HEY!HEY!HEY! Music Champ on the Fuji TV affiliate in New York City. Sadly, I'm in Florida now, but I still have two VHS tapes full of nothing but HEY!HEY!HEY! and he absolutely is funny as is Hamada-san.

I originally saw this on a fest several years ago, without any idea what I was getting into. Love the dry humor, and some of the cinematography. The ending goes all political but nothing wrong with that.

Still, Matsumoto's more recent film Symbol is thrice as funny as Dai nipponjin. I think a few fellow viewers died laughing. A bit dangerious movie.

Symbol is about two men. One, played by Matsumoto, is a Japanese guy in bright pajama, waking up in a white room with no doors or windows. He discovers buttons resembling a child's genitals. Pushing those buttons you can have sushi, bonsai tree, umbrella, and other useful stuff delivered to the room...

The other guy is a Mexican wrestler. This part of the film is kinda drama. Shot in Mexico. In Spanish...

symb1.jpg

symb2.jpg

symb3.jpg

Matsumoto's got a new film coming up, Saya Samurai:

http://jfilmpowwow.blogspot.com/2011/02/bizarre-new-teaser-trailer-for-hitoshi.html

Had this on DVD for a bit now; not got round to watching it. Heard it's good. Big Man Japan was excellent. Seems his next movie will be about a samurai.

The final scene in Big Man Japan had me literally gasping for air I was laughing so hard. That flick was the perfect combination of dry and deadpan humour mixed with ridiculous over the top outrageousness.

I've really wanted to see Symbol ever since I saw that trailer last year, but I haven't seen it available anywhere.

The final scene in Big Man Japan had me literally gasping for air I was laughing so hard.

Oh, man - me too! Thought I was gonna break a rib or something. I also agree about it being "the perfect combination of dry and deadpan humour mixed with ridiculous over the top outrageousness."

I'd like to see some other films from this guy. That trailer for Symbol looks delightfully bizarre!

Archived