The Loyal 47 Ronin

Bravery

The plot for this movie sounds interesting, I was wondering if any one could tell me a little more about this movie. I'm thinking about picking it up and was looking for more info on this movie.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Which one Bravery? This is a famous story that's been filmed many, many times. Was there a specific one that garnered your interest? Perhaps because of the director or one of the stars?

The Amazing Psycho Per

The story of the loyal 47 Ronin of Akô has to be one of the most famous of chinese history. It's the ultimate symbol of samurai loyalty in japanese culture.

Your two links are two different versions though. They must have made more versions of this story then Godzilla movies. Anyway, the one I've seen is your IMDB link, the one named Chushingura, but I haven't seen the one on your HKflix link, the Loyal 47 Ronin.

I must admit that, although I love japanese history, I don't particularly enjoy japanese films or samurai films. I love the romanticized myth of the samurai figure, but to me, the movies are usually pretty boring. Sure I've loved a couple ones like 7 Samurai, Sword of Doom and Harakiri, but I've seen more I didn't care for then ones I liked.

So, basically I didn't particularly enjoy Chushingura. I mean, Japanese cinema is so f'n slow... And this one surely doesn't make an exception. The damn runs for more then 3 hours!!! So we are threated with about 2:45 of people wandering and going on with their lives and yapping slowly but continuously about this and that... To be honest I was bored out of my mind.

But hey, maybe the version on HKFlix is better, I don't know. But it is none the less a pretty fascinating story.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This one might be a bit slow at times if it's much like Chushingura, but with Shintaro Katsu and Ichikawa Raizo in it I;m sure there's gonna be a lot of fans like myself who pick it up merely for that reason alone. I'm looking forward to it.

markmetcalf

I have about 8 different films about the 47 Ronin, and I will definitely be getting this one. It's a great story. Some versions concentrate on a few main characters, and other versions have a lot of characters to keep track of, like the 3-hour film directed by Inagaki. But I've enjoyed all the versions that I have watched.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know there were other films, didn't know about the 47 Ronin. But, when I saw the DVD pre order from hkflix, the story piqued my interest.

Archived