Born Invincible- VICTIM of CRAP dubbing (but good film)!

achiever

I've been hearing a few VERY mediocre opinions of this one. I must disagree. The fighting was pretty exciting & the bad guy with the mechanized tonfa was great! PS: I'm a sucker for invincible armor.

The problem with the film was the for sh** dubbing. I understand why the bad guy had the crazy high voice (I guess because he kept his testes sucked in), but in execution, it sounded DUMB. Another problem was the corny music everytime he got in his fighting stance (very 70's, very corn-ball). Also, they kept calling the invincible armor Tai-Chi... I guess that's the only martial arts style the dubbers could think of (but hearing it over and over was ridiculous).

Also, I HAVE to assume there was more to the story where the guy tried to master breathing techniques to shoot steel balls at the chief baddie. Maybe there was more explained in the original sound track what exactly he was trying to do, and maybe something got cut from the original edit because it just failed miserably & was never mentioned again.

SO... I reiterate, all cornball dubbing problems aside, I liked the action in the movie, and would LOVE to get a copy with original sound + subtitles so I can see what the bubbed version missed.

8)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

?? not sure where uve been reading reviews, but the common consensus from what i understand that the movie is very well liked, albeit the story has virtually no plot (at least on this forum). but its suuuuuuuuch a fun movie to watch. i loved all of the dubbing..

the movie is full of plot holes, but the action and characters make up for it to me. and i LOVE carter wong's exaggerated voice, its so funny. im usually pretty sketchy about plotless movies, but this one worked. a fav of mine

Guest fabhui

I'm one of the minority that this one did nothing for, I actually thought it was pretty crap.

I said it before, that if I saw it subbed, widescreen and in its original language I might apprecaite it more but even then I don't think I could ever see myself regarding it as a classic like a lot of people do!

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Video Village pre-record in mandarin is the best.

Purchase the Video Gems english dub just to fill-out my collection.

Guest falkor

I'm no expert on real life martial arts, but it appears Tai Chi can take many forms, and the term should be used loosely. The literal translation of Born Invincible's Chinese title is Tai Chi Qi Gong, so it has something to do with Qigong (internal strength), which in turn has something to do with Tai Chi used as a martial art.

I think Born Invincible has stood the test of time, and I consider it my favourite film of all time.

Guest Ninja Sinai

As many know already.. I really dont like Born Invincible!

I watched it about 4 times in a space of a year and even tried to make myself like it.. but alas I kept coming to the same conclusion.. This is one crap movie!

I really truly cant understand why fellow fans rate it so high?!

Im glad im not alone in this and Ive found another fan, my good ole Yakuza friend Fabhui who feels the same way as I do!

Jack longs stupid, just escaped from the mental asylum hairstyle was damn awful too!

Guest drunkenmantis13

Yeah it seems many don't like it much or at all which also surprises me because i found it pretty good. Not mindblowing but a very solid shapes flick by all means, IMO.

It is indeed one of the crazyest most insane dubs EVER, which is part of the fun. But sure a true Anamorphic Wide print with OG audio and nice subs would bring a new view to this film.

Guest thundered mantis

Blitz, I´ll answer about theportlykicker avatar: it´s from final bout on The Master Strikes. Terrific film with some of the greatest kung fu ever displayed! Ca Sa Fa is the one doing the triple kick plus fist jump...

If you haven´t seen it, go get it, it´s a must see! Best version is USA Crash disc, widescreen 2:35. There´s also the VV DVD, but that one is 1:85 only

Guest theportlykicker

Haha, because I made it myself. Making gifs is a long and boring process, let me tell you (at least the way I make them is). I just kinda gave up.

Archived