Remake of House of the Flying Daggers?

lillippa328

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HotD? Why, for pity's sake? What is there to remake? They gotta be kidding...:S

(Not to mention that the original is not exactly outstanding or anything...)

Guest Yi-Long

I loved the original. Not bothered about the remake. Hollywood can do whatever they want, and if it sucks I just won't watch it. Simple.

It does seem like a total waste of time and effort. However, perhaps Sam Raimi just wants to take the basic story and put it in a completely new setting, maybe with some twists.

Either way, I'd rather see him make Spidey 4, or clean up Spidey 3. A bit unnecessary to remake such a recent and decent movie. If you ARE gonna remake movies, just pick an old movie that's 'outdated' and deserves a remake.

This won't happen. After he makes "Drag Me To Hell" he has said he wants to work on "Spiderman 4." Not only that but he's always talking about "Evil Dead4."

I think there are a lot of directors that mention possible projects that never see the light of day.

As for my opinion? I don't get it either. Why remake such a unique movie?

Hollywood can suck on my Jazzy balls!

They just have no originality left. And to make matters worse, Hollywood has absolutely no respect for foreign films!

Raimi needs to fix the Spider-Man series anyway. After the cluster-phuck that Spidey 3 was he needs to concentrate on that.

I sense that he's a "nostalgic" guy, and that's fine, but he needs to stick to horror or comic book flicks. Leave martial arts films alone. Especially he nor any Hollywood punk should NOT touch beautiful Wuxia flicks!

yeah, why remake a film thats only 4 years old.

Better yet, why make this film. It was an okay movie, but nothing to go home a dream of making over.

Sam Raimi has some great films under his belt, so I would not question his direction, just his choice of film to direct.

Raimi is a idiot for this,he should be working on EVIL DEAD 4

Not without Ash he shouldn't. I've read Bruce Campbell isn't going to be in this movie, only staying to produce and help cast. Might not be true, but it isn't Evil Dead without furthering the adventures of Ash. I don't want a remake either, it's either Bruce or nothing for me.

I'm also looking forward to seeing his return to horror with Drag me to Hell

Not to mention that the original is not exactly outstanding or anything...

Exactly.

Lol, this is stupid.

I use to love Raimi but I think all the money up his ass has shoved the brains out his ears.

Evil Dead remake - :cry:

Unless he wants to film a literal house of flying daggers (a cool horror movie in that one!), this is kind of mystifying on how inept Raimi is coming off here. Or maybe most of us just don't underestimate the public's movie intelligence enough. It was a fair arthouse flick that did ok stateside, not exactly a totally unknown property or anything! But I would see the forror version of this.. .

I would take House of Flying Daggers over Hero any day. Man, do I hate Hero. Anyway, it's not like remakes make the old movie disappear. In fact, it will have an even higher profile.

Sam Raimi has a lot of HK film cred with me. Back when Universal hired John Woo to make his first American movie, they didn't trust him on his own. They felt they needed an American producer to watch over him and make sure he made an "American" movie. Sam Raimi, who was making Darkman for them at the time, volunteered. Sam Raimi, who loved John Woo, then proceeded to let John Woo do whatever the fuck he wanted, which resulted in that badass workprint version of Hard Target, complete with John Woo freeze-frames and a twice-as-long final gun battle. Of course Universal made them recut it, but I think it makes Sam Raimi look pretty respectable. For that reason, I will cut him some slack.

I've been cutting the man some slack for some time now, I think of some of the stuff the guy could be doing, especially in the horror genre where I think he really could of shined, instead he went along with what the suits wanted. And just wtf was up with spiderman 3? The editing is as bad as Tom Yum Goong.

House of Flying better than Hero? Get outta here with all that:p

Not without Ash he shouldn't. I've read Bruce Campbell isn't going to be in this movie, only staying to produce and help cast. Might not be true, but it isn't Evil Dead without furthering the adventures of Ash. I don't want a remake either, it's either Bruce or nothing for me.

You're mixing rumors. There's talk of a Evil Dead remake which would not feature Campbell as Ash. But obviously they wouldn't make ED4 without him.

The Flying Daggers rumor seems iffy to me, are there any sources beyond this one Web site?

I think that of all the movies to remake, this was probably the one to choose. It has a moderately recognizable name, which provides ticket sales. Plus, it wasn't all that great to begin with, meaning that there's actually room for improvement, as opposed to most remakes which just bite off more than they can chew. It's not like they're remaking Crouching Tiger or the 36th Chamber.

I'm not standing by the decision (despite being a Raimi fan), I'm just saying that it makes the most sense.

You're mixing rumors. There's talk of a Evil Dead remake which would not feature Campbell as Ash. But obviously they wouldn't make ED4 without him.

The Flying Daggers rumor seems iffy to me, are there any sources beyond this one Web site?

Thanks for the clarification, I would like to see a fourth with Bruce. But, I doubt that'll happen if they're doing a remake.

As far as the Flying Daggers rumors, it may be all talk. I can't find anything else.

As far as the Flying Daggers rumors, it may be all talk.

i, too, suspect this and i'm bemused such talk has caused such an uproar.

I would take House of Flying Daggers over Hero any day. Man, do I hate Hero.

Why do you feel this way?I watched both movies but I feel like House was lacking for some reason.Why the hate on Hero?Getting back on subject though,remake?Jesus....The original was bad enough(sorry DeathShrike).But to make it again?You cant polish a turd.

DeathShrike
Why do you feel this way?I watched both movies but I feel like House was lacking for some reason.Why the hate on Hero?Getting back on subject though,remake?Jesus....The original was bad enough(sorry DeathShrike).But to make it again?You cant polish a turd.

No worries! I'm not offended by differing opinions! (Although, remaking bad movies is a good idea... maybe it will make a good movie out of it!) As for why I feel this way about Hero... Simple. It's boring.

Personally, I blame Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. No, that's not fair. I blame Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon fans who don't understand the film. Crouching Tiger is a masterpiece, combining flawless wuxia with subtle, layered, intricate character development. These scenes, for people who are not interested in such things, could be called boring. In Hero, we have the same amount of "boring" scenes of characters talking, but instead of subtle, layered, intricate character development, we have overwrought melodrama. Not that I hate melodrama. I couldn't be a fan of these genres if I did! But there is simply too much of it, and it is not rewarding. I don't think it is a coincidence either that Hero shares a lot in common with CTHD in terms of pacing. It was obviously inspired by it's predecessor. But where this pacing works in CTHD's favor (the non-action scenes are as much a joy to watch as the action, simply for different reasons), in Hero these scenes are a chore, and result in a painfully boring experience. The characters are not layered, they are stock archetypes (I would call them cardboard) who spend a lot of time crying. House of Flying Daggers shares this problem, but there is soooo much less of it, and with more action. The action in Hero is admittedly great, but the drama is rote and overdone. House of Flying Daggers doesn't break new ground in terms of acting or storytelling, but it is far simpler, less melodramatic, and as a result, more entertaining to me. Does that at least make sense?

Archived