Happy Birthday Chang Yi!

moongirl

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A belated B-Day wish for Mr. Chang!

:bigsmile:

Ditto, think I'll watch Bells of Death. it's been a while.

Phanton KF, has to be one of the coolest mustaches in KF history!:xd:

Moongirl - awesome tribute video!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I too am a great fan of Chang Yi.

Many of his early roles at Shaws he played a hero most of the time.

But I, like so many, preferred his latter movies when he became one of the best villains in kung fu movie history.

I wonder how many movies he was in as the super villain?. Anyone know.

There are some no doubt i have not seen. But I am sure i have seen most of those roles.

What are your villain favorite roles he played?

In my early years of watching kung fu movies Kung Fu Mystigog (SP?) stands out as one of my favs. Also Ten Brothers Of Shaolin as well as The Victim.

I also like your tribute video Moongirl.

Thanks,

James

Nobody sported the "Stache" better than Chang Yi! :xd:

Happy Birthday to Mr. Chang then.

I don't think I've seen any of his movies, any recommandations ? :squigglemouth:

Bells of Death is one of my favs of his earlier movies(sans stache), looking at his filmography I realize there's quite a few movies he's in that I haven't seen, something I need to correct. Most of what I seen of his late 70's 80's movie villains are always great, he's always a badass!

Secret Executioner

Thanks for the filmography. I think (at least) 3 of his movies exist on DVD over here: Heroine, 18 Shaolin Disciples and Monkey Fist, Floating Snake.

I'll try and see if others exist and if they do, I'll probably pick them (along with the 3 movies previously named). :bigsmile:

Yang Wu Liang

All I can remember from Monkey Fist, Floating Snake is that Chang Yi's character keeps running away from trouble in a cowardly and 'comical' manner, so as such it's probably one of the worst to get if you want a bad ass Chang Yi performance... he hasn't even got white hair!

My favourites (although there are many others) are Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue, Fatal Needles Vs Fatal Fists, Lady Constables and Shaolin Invincible Sticks for Chang Yi bad assery.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Was he an opera guy? I seem to remember Wang Tao mentioning that on some commentary, but I don't think he ever looked that flexible or acrobatic, at least not compared to the venoms or someone....

I would ditto all the suggestions above, especially Bells of Death, to see him as a hero, and Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue for villainy, and really especially Eagle's Claw, which is a great film and where he turns out a magnificent performance and shows off some good moves too.

Archived