Happy Birthday Chang Yi!

moongirl

According to the Hong Kong Movie Data Base, today (Feb. 24) is Chang Yi's birthday!!! Happy Birthday to one of the greats...

picture.php?pictureid=4675&albumid=150&dl=1235455105&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=4676&albumid=150&dl=1235455105&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=4678&albumid=150&dl=1235455143&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4680&albumid=150&dl=1235455143&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=4677&albumid=150&dl=1235455105&thumb=1album.php?albumid=150&pictureid=4679picture.php?pictureid=4679&albumid=150&dl=1235455143&thumb=1

(THE greatest, in my opinion!)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

He was the man! May he live long and prosper! Check out the audio commentary with Don Wang Tao and Toby Russel for ALONG COMES THE TIGER. I seem to remember that Don has a few stories about Chang Yi!

• Administrator

Best wishes for a long and healthy life full of peace and happiness! :D Thanks for entertaining us in so many films.

silver hermit
Thanks Moongirl for pointing this out - yes one of the best! I wonder where he is now and if he knows he still has fans out there.

last thing i heard about him was he was living in Vancouver. lots of retired kung men reside there. he pops up on local TV once in a while. he looks very old now.

last thing i heard about him was he was living in Vancouver. lots of retired kung men reside there. he pops up on local TV once in a while. he looks very old now.

I'd love to see him now, any idea if these appearances are viewable on the internet anywhere?

I wonder ... if he knows he still has fans out there.

I wonder that too. I've tried to find out where to write to him, but I've never had any luck. Does anyone have any idea?

HKcinemagic had incorrectly posted the biography of Chang Ying on Chang Yi's page, and it was Chang Ying who had died in 1984. HKcinemagic corrected that mistake a little while ago and instead included the biography of Chang Yi that's on the HK Movie Database, which is credited as coming from Celestial. HKcinemagic probably had the wrong bio because on the Shaw Brothers cast page on the Celestial website, Celestial mistakenly has Chang Yi's picture on Chang Ying's page. I emailed them several times about this, but they still haven't changed it, nor have they given Chang Yi his own page or even list him as a Shaw Brothers actor!

HKcinemagic had incorrectly posted the biography of Chang Ying on Chang Yi's page, and it was Chang Ying who had died in 1984. HKcinemagic corrected that mistake a little while ago and instead included the biography of Chang Yi that's on the HK Movie Database, which is credited as coming from Celestial. HKcinemagic probably had the wrong bio because on the Shaw Brothers cast page on the Celestial website, Celestial mistakenly has Chang Yi's picture on Chang Ying's page. I emailed them several times about this, but they still haven't changed it, nor have they given Chang Yi his own page or even list him as a Shaw Brothers actor!

That's a shame; having incorrect information on someone's life. That would drive me nuts if I were him.

According to the Hong Kong Movie Database, the legendary Chang Yi is 65 years young today (Feb. 24)!!! Happy birthday to a true king of the kung fu cinema!

The fantastic Chang Yi in just some of his many roles:

(and for those who want to see him in action, check out the video link at the bottom of this post)

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1972RETURN OF THE TIGER

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=19737 COMMANDMENTS OF KUNG FU

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1974BELLS OF DEATH

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1975EAGLES CLAWS

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1980SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1976SHAOLIN KIDS

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1977SHAOLIN TRAITOR

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1978KILLER FROM ABOVE

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1979PHANTOM KUNG FU

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Happy Birthday! I fully agree, Chang Yi is a true legend of kung fu cinema, one of the greatest that ever did it.

--- Cool ass video moongirl.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Chang Yi, Happy Birthday sir!!! You are certaintly one of the kings of martial art cinema. Hope your doing well. Best wishes to you and your family!!!

Guest WuxiaFan
According to the Hong Kong Movie Database, the legendary Chang Yi is 65 years young today (Feb. 24)!!! Happy birthday to a true king of the kung fu cinema!]

Moongirl - if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be as big a fan as I am today! LOVED him in EAGLES CLAWS and SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE! Also liked Chang Yi as a non-villian with Angela Mao in LADY WHIRLWIND. So happy birthday to one of the best villians ever in kung fu cinema!

:yociexp85:

ALSO LOVE YOUR TRIBUTE VIDEO!! VERY WELL DONE!! AWESOME SONG BY THE SCIENTISTS!! LOVE IT!!

:yociexp55:

Archived