LATE BLOOMER finally released on DVD!

KUNG FU BOB

• Administrator

I saw the film LATE BLOOMER about 4 years ago at the Philadelphia Film Festival. The director, Go Shibata, was in attendance, and the film is one I will never forget. It's a low budget black and white film with a very original story, unique vision, and fantastic acting. At times I felt like I was watching a documentary. A very twisted, dark, documentary.

I don't want to really say too much about the film, because knowing more than a little will ruin it's impact. I'll just say this:

Sumida-san (starring Masakiyo Sumida) has some physical problems.

He can barely walk, requiring a motorized cart for mobility.

He can't talk, communicating via a "type and talk".

But his problems run a little deeper than that.

Don't pity him.

And don't turn your back on him.

After the film's screening, I spoke to Go via his interpretor and was not at all surprised to find he was a big fan of both Martin Scorcese and David Lynch. Despite the language barrier, it wasn't difficult to see that Go is a very intelligent, and unique artist with a lot more to give to the world of cinema. He's definitely the type of filmmaker who's work I want to support, and see more of. I told him how much I loved the film, and he said he would be happy to send me a copy of his first film NN-891102 to reveiw. I thanked him, and promised to send him a David Lynch shirt I made as a gift.

Turns out his first film was also very cool, and he liked the shirt. ;)

We stayed in touch, and I tried to use my extremely limited connections to get this film a stateside release, but to no avail. I got a lot of mixed reactions from people I showed the film to. One things for sure- they were all strong reactions! XD

Anyway, a company finally came along that had the balls to release it, and I'd just like to say "Please support this film so that Go Shibata can make more outrageous movies!"

It's official release date is Feb. 24. You probably won't see Best Buy or Walmart making room for this amid all the empty blockbusters, so you'll have to make a slight effort to see it. Trust me- you won't be sorry. Here's a link to it:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549789/qx/details.htm

Also, Twitch published a great interview with Go on it's site a while back. Well worth reading.

Here's a shot of the film's director Go Shibata.

post-159-144191884824_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'm glad someone is showing some interest! :)

The director went to school with the star, who is actually severely disabled in real life. One day they were talking about people's misconceptions of "handicapped" people as helpless, and pityfull. Sumida-san expressed interest in seeing a film depicting a character that would turn these ideas on their heads. Go further suggested that Sumida-san himself play the character. And that's how LATE BLOOMER started out.

There are just so many cookie-cutter plots being used over and over again in films worldwide. So after seeing something so uniquely individual, I want others to see it to.

My wife was absolutely horrified! She said she never wants me to even mention the film again! XD

• Administrator

Okay, Alex and Tosh are on board. Anyone else interested in a film with original ideas that is as dark as they come? It's got a hard edge to it, along the lines of films like OLDBOY, TAXI DRIVER, NAKED. Of course it didn't even have a fraction of the budget of any of those films, but as most of us know, budget doesn't always add up to good film. 10,000 B.C. anyone?

And just for the record- no- I don't have stock in this film or anything! :D

And just for the record- no- I don't have stock in this film or anything!

Well you should definately get some stock with the way you're pushing this film lol.

I'll check it out when it is released, you said the 24 of Febuary, but hkflix has it listed as the 24 of March. mHas it been pushed back, and is there a possibility of the date changing again? But, i'll check it out when it is released.

Watched this film today. Not bad, a little weird. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the movie, yet. I'm gonna watch it again tonight.

Terrific music video by Shibata:

Reminds me of the amazing closing scene in Late Bloomer. The band, Arakajime kimerareta koibitotachi e, has become an instant favorite of mine after contributing the soundtrack for my 2010 favorite film: Kyojima 3rd St., Sumida City.

Shibata has tendency to work with great bands. I also love World's End Girlfriend who did the soundtrack for Late Bloomer (and Koreeda's Air Doll)

Archived