Questions on Dragon Dynasty releases

Mr. Pink

The DD picture looks sharper and won't contain the softness, but there is the frame problem and what I've mentioned:

Natural colours (Dimension):

vlcsnap-124929.jpg

Purpley colours (DD):

vlcsnap-125604.jpg

Detail on Chen's jacket (Dimension):

folx5.JPG

No detail on jacket because of the contrast-boosting (DD):

3.JPG

The HKVideo DVD has worse looking levels, but no frame problems. Between them all, it's likely DD has the more stable Cantonese soundtrack because the French varies in speed apparently from scene to scene. The DD disc does mess up the subtitles towards the end for some bizarre reason and it's a shame as the extras look very good. There is a German DVD which may have the best-sounding Cantonese soundtrack available - uncut with English subtitles too, but it lacks the extras that DD has of course.

I wouldn't buy the Dimension as it is non-anamorphic and lacks things, but I'm just showing what the DD is lacking in the image department and how it could have been bettered.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The DD picture looks sharper and won't contain the softness, but there is the frame problem and what I've mentioned:

The HKVideo DVD has worse looking levels, but no frame problems. Between them all, it's likely DD has the more stable Cantonese soundtrack because the French varies in speed apparently from scene to scene. The DD disc does mess up the subtitles towards the end for some bizarre reason and it's a shame as the extras look very good. There is a German DVD which may have the best-sounding Cantonese soundtrack available - uncut with English subtitles too, but it lacks the extras that DD has of course.

I wouldn't buy the Dimension as it is non-anamorphic and lacks things, but I'm just showing what the DD is lacking in the image department and how it could have been bettered.

So, does the HKVideo DVD have the frame problems? Those drive me nuts. I would be willing to sacrifice the DD extras to get an anamorphic transfer with decent English subtitles that got rid of those bizarre frame jitters. Would the HKVideo one do the trick?

The German DVD has English subtitles and I imagine it uses the HKVideo transfer :).

Interesting.... Would Amazon.de have it? Imma check.

PS2 is the Japanese version, but it's got a few problems with the footage not being correct - it's a slight mess. Compared to IVL, the picture is annoyingly pinked.

PS3 is the Dimension version with an abridged Cantonese soundtrack attached.

There's comparisons and reviews that should fill you in on some other issues.

Archived