Questions on Dragon Dynasty releases

Mr. Pink

I would love to own the following films on dvd, but after dealing with Dragon Dynasty's cuts on Fist of Legend, and the dubtitles on Hard Boiled, I'm a bit weary of making further purchases from them. However, I am a special features junkie, and nobody seems to be able to top them on that front. Have they made any film-altering and fan-angering changes to these films like unnecessary cuts, dubtitles, etc? (btw, quality doesn't matter a whole lot to me, as my television couldn't be any bigger than 15'')

Films:

Flash Point

Last Hurrah for Chivalry

The One-Armed Swordsman

Police Story

Police Story 2

SPL (Kill Zone)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Thanks in advance.:D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

I have Last Hurrah and Flash Point. Didn't notice any problem on any of them. Great pic quality, uncut in my knowledge. Great releases as far as I'm concern. But then again I'm not as pointy as some people here, so maybe others have found flaws that flew by me...

The DD release of 36 Chambers is excellent, as is their One Armed Swordsman. The Police Story releases are a bit pink, I think, & they might be cut. I would get the fortune star dvd of that.

'Flash Point' has inferior subtitles to other releases, but is otherwise fine.

'Last Hurrah For Chivalry' - HKL's subtitles are better, but DD has extras.

'One Armed Swordsman' is the best version, but the subtitles may not be good (Momentum might be better if they do it).

'Police Story' HKL is probably a better choice than DD (horrible video quality), both have interesting extras.

'Police Story 2's problem is the pinking and the somewhat complicated edit involved.

'SPL' is fine I'd say.

'36th Chamber' by Momentum in the UK will have better subtitles coming up.

Sadly to say with Chinese films, even if extras are great, the film's quality may not be.

Thanks guys! I just realized that I forgot to mention that I am unable to play foreign region dvds, just 1 and 0. Unless of course one of you has any nice and free way of unlocking a PS2, which would be muy appreciated. :D

I like your avatar!

You'll have to get something like 'Region X' and make sure your TV is PAL-capable (NTSC50 I think). Not sure how it is in the US as I'm in the UK (PAL) and will have different experiences.

There's no perfect version for some of your titles, so you have to chose the 'least offending' and sacrifice extras.

Hm. That's a pretty major disappointment. I already decided to sacrifice the extras on DD's release of Police Story 3 (a travesty if there ever was one) for the full version, and I don't want to make such sacrifices a habit.

And thanks for the avvie compliment. I keep getting entranced by your great one!

• Administrator

I agree with everything that these guys have said. But I wanted to say that the extras on SPL (KILLZONE) are among my favorites ever! If you have any interest in the behind the scenes of action choreography, then this release will blow you away.

The extras were excellent on SPL, but the one thing that annoyed me a little was the lack of the press conference found on the earlier Deltamac DVD. Bey said to me it wasn't good enough quality, but I don't think anyone would have cared. It wasn't perfect, but it looked suitable enough to me, if a little long and boring (it would take a bit of disc space up though).

'Police Story' HKL is probably a better choice than DD (horrible video quality), both have interesting extras

Bah, what about the extended opening and closing and alt. outtakes on DD? DD is the winner here. Any time there are rare new scenes of a JC film, it's no contest for me. Video quality is fine. After all, the person asking is Mr. Pink! Ha Ha.....sorry. =)

Haha, nice. Okay, seems as if most of these are winners for me! :) As far as SPL is concerned, I'd also like to know if any other features were excluded from DD's release, and if any were added. Thanks, you guys have all been extremely helpful!

I'm still a bit upset about the Fist of Legend release. I waited like 8 years for a good region 1 DVD release of Fist of Legend, and they still went with the "this sign says 'jing wu school is closed'" subtitle. Come on, we know what the film is about, we're not going to get offended if you say something bad about the Chinese. That's kind of the entire point of the film.

What does it really say exactly? I know that it says something very much unlike "Jing Wu Men is Closed" as the subs would have me think, but I don't actually know what it says.

"Sick Men Of Asia" - Downgraded probably because Miramax were afraid of offending audiences, or they deliberately made it up like some other instances in 'Hero' and 'Iron Monkey'. Speaking of 'Fist Of Legend', I made lots of changes to the Wikipedia page over the past two days, so it now covers versions more accurately and has a new media section - all so that people don't get constantly confused and can ultimately be referred there instead of having to explain everything a few times :). Tidied up a few things like names/external links too.

The DVD was half-baked, despite being Cantonese with subtitles (although dubtitles towards the end, which is a bad idea with the alterations in sign-translation and story). The previous Dimension DVD has far better colours and contrast (comparison - check out the shot of the Yasuaki and Jet fight) - no frame problems either (although it is non-anamorphic and softer).

Morgoth Bauglir

I suggest looking on your TV and not screen caps for comparison on the DImension and DD release of Fist of Legend. The DD looks far better IMO. The frame problem bugged me a little bit, but I'd choose the pic quality on the DD version way over the Dimension.

The Silver Fox

The Dragon Dynasty 2 disc Fist of Legend isn't perfect but it is the best version out there, IMO. I think they tried to do a good job with it, and the good far outweighs the few minor issues.

I suggest looking on your TV and not screen caps for comparison on the DImension and DD release of Fist of Legend.

lol, why? What difference would it make, the Dimension clearly is better.

The DD looks far better IMO. The frame problem bugged me a little bit, but I'd choose the pic quality on the DD version way over the Dimension.

Bleached colours and boosted contrast over natural colours and better detail:)?

The DD disc obviously wins extras-wise, but the video isn't as good.

My memory isn't what it used to be - Isn't the HKL disc of Police Story cropped?

Yes, it trims off the top and bottom mainly I think and it's a little stretched. It has better levels than IVL. It's a bit of a tough one :).

Morgoth Bauglir

It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but to me the DD looks a lot clearer. It's like watching a whole new movie.

Killer Meteor

I disagree. I think the Dimension is poor too. I don't understand this sudden championing of murky, artefacting, non-anamorphic messes

I disagree. I think the Dimension is poor too. I don't understand this sudden championing of murky, artefacting, non-anamorphic messes

I do acknowledge that, but that doesn't change the fact the colours and contrast are still far better.

For Fist Of Legend, I'd take the DD over dimention. The picture looks better, at least to my eyes, than the Dimension. And the dimention is slightly cropped. If not for the bad job done with the subs - the last lines are entirely fabricated - I would have been really happy with the DD release.

Archived