Mad Mission

kungpowmaster

kungpowmaster

Hi,

Today I picked up Mad Mission 1 and 2. Are these any good? I have never seen them. I looked at amazon after I bought them, and they are dirt cheap, I didn't want doubles, so I forwent the set, and bought 3 and 4 separately.

They look crazy.

Comments?

Carl

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The ACES GO PLACES films were called by the MAD MISSION titles in the US and I think the UK too.

Some of the gags and music are a little dated now, but they're still a lot of fun, and include some exciting action scenes.

I have the VCDs of the entire series under the Aces Go Places name. Fun to watch. Lau Kar-Leung directed the 5th film of the series, and featured Crystal Fist's Billy Chong, this time under his real name, as a bad guy.

thedirtytiger

1, 2 and 5 are great, 3 and 4 not so much but still pretty good, good comedy and good action mixed together well with a touch of real old school class :)

kungpowmaster

I have 1,2,3. On the Anchor Bay label. Can anyone help me out with 4? I don't wanna buy the whole set just for 4. I can exchange. PM me.

Carl

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have 1,2,3. On the Anchor Bay label. Can anyone help me out with 4? I don't wanna buy the whole set just for 4. I can exchange. PM me.

Carl

Hi Carl, I'm sending you a PM.

I've seen these movie for sale before, but hae aways bypassed them for films I felt were better choices. The cast is also stacked, buta re these movies must owns? What are they are about and is it action heavy?

I couldn't find any newer thread on this so. *BUMP*

I just finished the 1-5 box set for Aces Go Places (thanks again Bratty). Besides some AWFUL subtitles in places, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. While agree with others that 1, and 2 (and to a lesser degree 5) are the best, they were all still fun flicks to watch.

80's HK action+cheese=WIN.

masterofoneinchpunch
I couldn't find any newer thread on this so. *BUMP*

I just finished the 1-5 box set for Aces Go Places (thanks again Bratty). Besides some AWFUL subtitles in places, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. While agree with others that 1, and 2 (and to a lesser degree 5) are the best, they were all still fun flicks to watch.

80's HK action+cheese=WIN.

My favorite is 2 (Tsui Hark mental patient :D) then 1, but yeah I had fun watching all 5 (I'm suspecting you have the remastered Fortune Star set) with less fun on 3 especially (pretty much what is mentioned though I liked 4 more than most).

sifu iron perm

i used to watch the first so many times and got bored of it. And the theme tune gets irritating. lol

which part has odd job and jaws from the bond movies? part 3?

i used to watch the first so many times and got bored of it. And the theme tune gets irritating. lol

which part has odd job and jaws from the bond movies? part 3?

I'm thinkin' it's two. (I too can't be bothered to look it up, either).

Part 3 was the one with the fake Oddjob, and Jaws. I actually really dug the theme tune (and it's variants). Typical 80's cantopop for action movies :tongue: Maybe it's just that I enjoyed them a LOT more than I initially thought I would.

In the actual pre-1997 HONG KONG era (not mainland/PRC), this was the most successful film series of all time, and Sam Hui was the highest paid actor in the industry (one reason why he wasn't exactly prolific, he was making more than Chow Yun Fat per film and even part 5 outgrossed THE KILLER!). The first film sold more tickets than A BETTER TOMORROW. They've always been underestimated and underrated in the west, a point I made in an article I wrote for Asian Trash Cinema in their early days. Don't bother seeking it out, that fanzine is dreadful!

masterofoneinchpunch
In the actual pre-1997 HONG KONG era (not mainland/PRC), this was the most successful film series of all time, and Sam Hui was the highest paid actor in the industry (one reason why he wasn't exactly prolific, he was making more than Chow Yun Fat per film and even part 5 outgrossed THE KILLER!). The first film sold more tickets than A BETTER TOMORROW. They've always been underestimated and underrated in the west, a point I made in an article I wrote for Asian Trash Cinema in their early days. Don't bother seeking it out, that fanzine is dreadful!

FYI:

A Better Tomorrow (1986): 34,651,324 HK $

Aces Go Places (1982): 26,043,773 HK $

Aces Go Places 2: 23,273,140 HK $

Aces Go Places 3: 29,286,077 HK $

Aces Go Places 4: 27,012,748 HK $

Aces Go Places 5 (1989): 20,032,206 HK $

The Killer (1989): 18,255,083 HK $

Source for figures if from the HKFA.

Was inflation that high for AGP to have sold more tickets than ABT?

Of course Box Office doesn't always mean quality. Don't forget Cinema City with Eighth Happiness made 37,090,776 (OK I have a soft spot for that film)

Was inflation that high for AGP to have sold more tickets than ABT?

Yep. But ABT was bigger in other territories. ACES 2 did well in Japan(thanks to the robots), probably opening Cinema City's distribution doors. Because of both film series, Cinema City dominated the 80s Hong Kong, not Golden Harvest. But of course, CC was the first to go under via mismanagement and an unsuccessful morph into Golden Princess. But artistically, they blew away GH.

I see nothing wrong with the first 4 AGPs. Best Lupin the 3rd/Get Charlie Tully ripoff ever! Reminders of when Hong Kong filmmakers just wanted to entertain you. Snobs carp, but always remember that SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT was Alfred Hitchcock's favorite movie.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yep. But ABT was bigger in other territories. ACES 2 did well in Japan(thanks to the robots), probably opening Cinema City's distribution doors. Because of both film series, Cinema City dominated the 80s Hong Kong, not Golden Harvest. But of course, CC was the first to go under via mismanagement and an unsuccessful morph into Golden Princess. But artistically, they blew away GH.

I see nothing wrong with the first 4 AGPs. Best Lupin the 3rd/Get Charlie Tully ripoff ever! Reminders of when Hong Kong filmmakers just wanted to entertain you. Snobs carp, but always remember that SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT was Alfred Hitchcock's favorite movie.

Do you have a source for ABT selling more tickets?

I don't think that is true about Hitchcock. His daughter stated that SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT was a guity pleasure (this is often cited with BENJI as well). But it seems that idea has almost taken a urban legend status. It is normally considered Müde Tod, Der (1921) as among his favorites. Do you have a good source about Hitchcock stating this? I could easily imagine him saying that to though (knowing his sense of humor, but I could also seeing him enjoying it as well).

I read the stats in either a Derek Elley decade-end summary for Variety's annual books about international film or another reliable source. Sorry, I no longer do any semi-pro archiving of this stuff, because...well, I always expected others to. But HK movie fandom has sort of vaporized in recent years. Originally heard it from a source close to Eric Tsang(and doubted it, because thinking the film's director always spins things), but was stunned when I saw it actually documented.

However, in an interview with Sammo Hung for Inside Kung Fu back in 1989, Sammo listed ACES GO PLACES as one of his five favorite Hong Kong movies, the others were ABT, King Hu's DRAGON INN, KING BOXER, and FIST OF FURY IIRC. So AGP series had an impact beyond high grosses.

Hitchcock reportedly sent a letter to either Burt Reynolds or Hal Needham stating he loved SMOKEY and it was his favorite movie. Now it may not have been his all time favorite, but the fact that he enjoyed it was a slap at all the critics that hated the film and thought it marked the downfall of civilization. How many critics that now kiss Clint Eastwood's ass would shudder upon hearing he's a huge Benny Hill fan?

masterofoneinchpunch
I read the stats in either a Derek Elley decade-end summary for Variety's annual books about international film or another reliable source. Sorry, I no longer do any semi-pro archiving of this stuff, because...well, I always expected others to. But HK movie fandom has sort of vaporized in recent years. Originally heard it from a source close to Eric Tsang(and doubted it, because thinking the film's director always spins things), but was stunned when I saw it actually documented.

However, in an interview with Sammo Hung for Inside Kung Fu back in 1989, Sammo listed ACES GO PLACES as one of his five favorite Hong Kong movies, the others were ABT, King Hu's DRAGON INN, KING BOXER, and FIST OF FURY IIRC. So AGP series had an impact beyond high grosses.

Hitchcock reportedly sent a letter to either Burt Reynolds or Hal Needham stating he loved SMOKEY and it was his favorite movie. Now it may not have been his all time favorite, but the fact that he enjoyed it was a slap at all the critics that hated the film and thought it marked the downfall of civilization. How many critics that now kiss Clint Eastwood's ass would shudder upon hearing he's a huge Benny Hill fan?

I've become more of a stickler over the years in dealing with quotations and "facts" (so of course I do apologize if I come across a bit grouchy in wanting of info). It's amazing how many things end up not being true (Gordon Liu an orphan :D). It's probably best for serious students of cinema to keep as much information with them as possible (the same goes for literature) because as you stated "HK movie fandom has sort of vaporized in recent years." Of course even the good sources can and do have errata (I found several in Bordwell's book for example and Asian Cult Cinema by Thomas Weisser could have a book by itself for its issues).

Tickets sold is always an interesting figure (Gone with the Wind easily sold more tickets than Titanic for example) so factoring in Inflation (or technically price of ticket which varies) is always a bit sticky.

ACES GO PLACES (to get back on topic :)) is definitely underrated in my opinion, but in dealing with it's influence, it's popularity during the 80s and other factors make it a must watch for any serious HK aficionado (doesn't mean everyone will like it though).

And how many critics wince at Mel Gibson for liking The Three Stooges, wait that's a bad example.

I've never seen any of these films but I have to ask you since when has mainstream popularity and high box office return been an indication of quality? For example Donnie yen's Iron monkey as I understand it , literally bombed in Hong Kong, yet I'm sure it's considered very highly among martial-arts fans.

I've never seen any of these films but I have to ask you since when has mainstream popularity and high box office return been an indication of quality? For example Donnie yen's Iron monkey as I understand it , literally bombed in Hong Kong, yet I'm sure it's considered very highly among martial-arts fans.

In 1980s Hong Kong, A CHINESE GHOST STORY, A BETTER TOMORROW, PROJECT A 1 & 2, POLICE STORY 1&2, PRODIGAL SON, MR. VAMPIRE, LEGEND OF WISELY and the first two LUCKY STARS movies were big hits. There's plenty of other fine 1980s films that were huge hits and are still well worth looking into, I just don't feel like using my google-fu right now.

In Hong Kong, box office success did equal quality. I don't consider IRON MONKEY in the same ballpark as the films I listed.

how do the old Universe Laser (?) DVDs of Aces go Places look / sound? I had the boxset on IVL but I traded it away because I just couldn't stand the remixed soundtracks. I also have the Anchor Bay boxset sitting here, sealed, for sometime when I want to get into the dubs, but what I'd really like is watch the movies with the original sound.

how do the old Universe Laser (?) DVDs of Aces go Places look / sound? I had the boxset on IVL but I traded it away because I just couldn't stand the remixed soundtracks. I also have the Anchor Bay boxset sitting here, sealed, for sometime when I want to get into the dubs, but what I'd really like is watch the movies with the original sound.

I've got these. Watched the first three and the picture and sound seemed fine (I don't have a fancy set-up). That was on my old tube widescreen, though. My current flat-screen might not be so kind to the picture, but if you sit far enough away, some of those problems will fade. I'll try to plug them in tonight for a quick survey.

Archived