Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman aka: Zatoichi Destroy The Chinese Sword (1971)

Guest killer meteor

The Dragon

I've seen both versions and the alternate does exist. It is slightly different, however, Wang's swordsman does not perish.

I also recall many years ago viewing that alternate cut of Godzilla vs King Kong.

Killer Meteor
I've seen both versions and the alternate does exist. It is slightly different, however, Wang's swordsman does not perish.

I also recall many years ago viewing that alternate cut of Godzilla vs King Kong.

There is an alternate cut for King Kong Vs Godzilla, but no alternative outcome. King Kong wins in both.

As for the film in question, the Japanese cut shows Wang Yu defeated but doesn't actually have him die on camera.

ShawAngela

Yesterday, I watched Zatoich meets the One-armed swordsman for the first time, and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know that Chang Yi played in it ! 

The dvd I got had some very informative informations in the extras and I enjoyed them too.

My only complain is Wang Yu's ending, but as it's a Japanese movie, I guess that they couldn't kill their Japanese hero.

Some odd things : as the young boy understands Japanese, why didn't he translate all what was said in Japanese to Wang Yu ?! Hence, some misunderstandings could have been solved...but then, no movie, of course !

• Like 3

Super Ninja
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The dvd I got had some very informative informations in the extras and I enjoyed them too.

What DVD would that be? I have the movie on my watch list so was planning to get the DVD, but I know nothing about how many releases are there and which one is the one to get.

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

My only complain is Wang Yu's ending, but as it's a Japanese movie, I guess that they couldn't kill their Japanese hero.

Hope someone can confirm this, but I remember reading there are two different  versions with two different endings. One where Zatoichi dominates for the Japanese audience, and the other where Wang Yu defeats the blind swordsman.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
38 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:
5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

What DVD would that be? I have the movie on my watch list so was planning to get the DVD, but I know nothing about how many releases are there and which one is the one to get.

I got the Animeigo dvd from a guy on Facebook.

38 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:
5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Hope someone can confirm this, but I remember reading there are two different  versions with two different endings. One where Zatoichi dominates for the Japanese audience, and the other where Wang Yu defeats the blind swordsman.

Really ?! I would love to see the Chinese victory ending !! I wasn't aware of these two releases, thanks for the information. I shouldn't be surprised, since several months ago, I got the Japanese version of Asia Pol ! 

• Like 3

Super Ninja
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Really ?! I would love to see the Chinese victory ending !! I wasn't aware of these two releases, thanks for the information. I shouldn't be surprised, since several months ago, I got the Japanese version of Asia Pol ! 

I'd hate to spread false info here so I took some time to search for proves. 

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

dionbrother

Steven Barnes saw both versions in the 70s and said this on my FB wall.  "The Chinese version ended with Zatoichi down, and Wang Yu saying "I'm sorry I wounded that blind man." But the Japanese version ends with Zatoichi having killed Wang Yu. All over a confusion of languages: they couldnt' speak directly to each other."

Hope this helps.

• Like 5

shukocarl1441996347
7 hours ago, dionbrother said:

Steven Barnes saw both versions in the 70s and said this on my FB wall.  "The Chinese version ended with Zatoichi down, and Wang Yu saying "I'm sorry I wounded that blind man." But the Japanese version ends with Zatoichi having killed Wang Yu. All over a confusion of languages: they couldnt' speak directly to each other."

Hope this helps.

I always thought that the alternate 'Wang Yu wins" version was just a rumour like King Kong vs Godzilla, where it turned out that Kong actually won in both Japanese and International versions.

• Like 2

dionbrother

The Kong vs Godzilla rumor was likely started by Universal Pictures' publicity department and printed in Famous Monsters magazine.  The HK version of Zatoichi Meets His Equal was actually seen by fans at Chinatown theaters in the 70s.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
17 hours ago, dionbrother said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

9 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I always thought that the alternate 'Wang Yu wins" version was just a rumour

Frédéric Ambroisine just confirmed me that Wang Yu stated in his interview that there really were two endings of this movie, one for the Japanese market, and one for the Chinese market. I found that the Wildside release has the same ending as the Japanese one, and I wonder which company has released the Chinese ending...

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 5/18/2022 at 4:36 AM, dionbrother said:

Hope this helps.

In the Japanese version, it's a bit weird. Wang Yu collapses but is still alive, yet Zatoichi says he killed him!

There's definetly a still of Wang Yu standing triumphant over a fallen Zatoichi. I can't imagine HK audiences of 1971 having it any other way!

The KKvG rumour never made any sense, as KK is clearly the good guy in the movie.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

A great pair up of Japan's and Hong Kong's heroes of the time. A wonderful story of blindness, both visual verbal and emotional. The brutality of feudal Japan and the tragedy that befalls all of it's characters. Reccomended.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
19 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Zatoichi and the One Armed Swordsman (1970) (madman R4 dvd)

A great pair up of Japan's and Hong Kong's heroes of the time. A wonderful story of blindness, both visual verbal and emotional. The brutality of feudal Japan and the tragedy that befalls all of it's characters. Reccomended.

DId you get the Japanese ending or the Chinese ending ? Is 

Spoiler

Wang Yu

still alive a the end ?

• Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry

It seems like there’s been a lot of confirmations over the years that there does exist a Chinese ending.  But nobody has ever found footage of it.  I believe it exists but for now it’s still a myth.  

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 6/10/2023 at 1:39 AM, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

It seems like there’s been a lot of confirmations over the years that there does exist a Chinese ending.  But nobody has ever found footage of it.  I believe it exists but for now it’s still a myth.  

Maybe Arrow should have asked for it when they found the missing Big Boss footage!

• Like 4