Discovering Tony Liu...

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

Wow, just watched The Bastard Swordsman and I loved it! The pace of this movie is frantic to say the least. I loved that even though they used a tremandous amount of wires there are still ground based fights. Man, what's not to love in this flick: Colorfull characters, no dull moment, over the top fighting, good kung fu, all sorts of craziness (like a guy blocking a sword with his teeth!:P), awesome synth music:D...

I was wondering what were your thoughts on other flicks by Tony Liu: Secret service..., Lady Assassin, Return of the Bastard..., Holy Flame...

Are they all as good?

If they are I can't believe I didn't watched his movies before... And they say the Shaw studio was in decline in the 80's!!!;)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HEAR YA! I love Tony Liu. For the longest time, I only had seen him in Bruce Lee films and Human Lanterns.

Dude, get DRAGON MISSILE. I guarantee you'll like it; money back, guarantee!

I will check out BASTARD SWORDSMAN, it sounds like the perfect companion piece of DRAGON MISSILE!!!

The Amazing Psycho Per

Thanks for the recomandation, you seem enthousiastic... Never eard of it though. What's it like?

No, there's not. I'll be writing a review in the next couple of days...

Very colorful. Very violent. Sweetly paced. Cool weaponry. Great story (it's like a Quentin Tarantino Shaw flick!)... no, the movie only has been released overseas.

Yang Wu Liang

Holy Flame and Lady Assassin are two of my favourite Shaws! You gotta watch these if your into the crazier, more over the top action like in Bastard SM. Lady Assassin is more of a straight Swordplay with a Rebelious Reign storyline where Holy Flame's got more crazy/fantastical effects (like Bastard SM) but don't let that put you off! Secret Service and Return of the Bastard SM are equally awesome as well.

I know people have different tastes but for me this type of action is my favourite, much more exciting and fun than a slow and clunky 'realistic' kung fu fight.

Dragon Missile I haven't seen - although if it was a Tony Liu film I would have bought it, I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

"Dragon Missile I haven't seen - although if it was a Tony Liu film I would have bought it, I'll have to keep my eye out for it."

It's definitely a Tony Liu film! (thought evil Lo Lieh get a tad more screen time)

What about those mafia films he did, like Brothers (which resembles A BETTER TOMORROW), and Brotherhood? I'm curious about these.

The only thing stopping me from checking these out is the fact that they were directed by the guy who did To Kill A Jaguar, which I thought was CRAP.

Another Tony Liu film I can recommend is Invincible Enforcer, which is a strange, but entertaining, prison flick. See review on the reviews thread.

He also makes a great Lu Xiaofeng in Clan of Amazons and Duel of the Century. He's like Fletch of the Martial World;a smirking sarcastic detective, meddling in people's affairs. I reccomend those films, especially Duel of the Century. You have to pay attention though, as they're both Chor Yuen/Ku Lung movies, with non-stop plot twists, and dozens of characters to keep track of.

Wait. Are we talking about Tony Liu Jun-Guk or Tony Liu Wing (aka Lau Wing)? Tony Liu Wing is in Dragon Missile, but Tony Liu Jun-Guk directed Lady Assassin and Bastard Swordman which featured Tony Liu Wing. Tony Liu Wing is the one I was talking about who played Lu Xiaofeng in Clan of Amazons and Duel of the Century. I'm confused.

Wow, just watched The Bastard Swordsman and I loved it! The pace of this movie is frantic to say the least. I loved that even though they used a tremandous amount of wires there are still ground based fights. Man, what's not to love in this flick: Colorfull characters, no dull moment, over the top fighting, good kung fu, all sorts of craziness (like a guy blocking a sword with his teeth!:P), awesome synth music:D...

I was wondering what were your thoughts on other flicks by Tony Liu: Secret service..., Lady Assassin, Return of the Bastard..., Holy Flame...

Are they all as good?

If they are I can't believe I didn't watched his movies before... And they say the Shaw studio was in decline in the 80's!!!;)

OK! I figured it out. You're talking about the director Tony Liu Jun-Guk (or as I learned his name Chin Ku Lu). Yes! Bastard Swordman and Lady Assassin are his best, but Holy Flame of the Martial World, Secret Service of the Imperial Court and Return of Bastard Swordman are great. Blind buys for sure! I didn't like Ambitious Kung Fu Girl or The Master (aka 3 Evil Masters, which is out on Region 1 DVD I think).

I HEAR YA! I love Tony Liu. For the longest time, I only had seen him in Bruce Lee films and Human Lanterns.

I will check out BASTARD SWORDSMAN, it sounds like the perfect companion piece of DRAGON MISSILE!!!

...and YOU'RE talking about Lau Wing. OK, I get it now.

ironfistedmonk

Lau Wing aka Tony Liu Yung is the actor

Lu Chun Ku aka Tony Liu Jun Guk is the director, he directed the following which I like

Stranger from Shaolin

Hellz Windstaff (Dragon and the Tiger Kids)

Tiger Over Wall

The Master (SB)

Ambitious Kung Fu Girl (SB)

Crazy Horse Intelligent Monkey

Lovers Blades (SB)

Bastard Swordsman (SB)

Lady Assassin (SB)

Secret Service of the Imperial Court (SB)

Return of the Bastard Swordsman (SB)

Shaolin Patriot

Some of my personal favorites:

Naval Commandos - action/war film that combines various actors

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1550

Brotherhood - modern gangster film, also starring Hu Chin

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=3194

Convict Killer - also starring Ti Lung as the title character

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1169

Archived