Anyone remember this great magazine?

saltysam

thedirtytiger

I have a few including the Bruce Le cover - it's a great great mag and I have desperately tried in vain to find some more - if anyone has any for sale or trade then I want them please !!!!!!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Yes indeed. I knew someone who had the complete collection and said he would give them to me. Never happened.

It came out, of course, during the peak of the kung fu movie era.

I wonder how one could find a set of these intact today. Ebay?

GD Y-y

I actually wrote an article (on the film career of Liu Chia-liang to that point) that made it into the last issue QUOTE]

would u be willing to share that article ?

Maybe scann it and post it ?;)

thelastweaponmaster

Actually someone did include a scan of the LCL article in this forum a number of months ago. If enough people want to see it, I can try to locate the magazine (packed away in a box somewhere) and post it. Thanks.

could you please scan and post the "Reexaminations - The Game of Death" article? Also wasn't Wong In Sik interviewed in one of those mags? Much thanks :D

I've got a pretty nice collection of old Black Belt, Inside Karate, Inside Kung-Fu and Ninja Magazines, mostly from the 80's, but I don't have any of these. I'll have to look around on Ebay. I remember having some "action movie" type magazines around 1984 to 1986, that had articles about Commando, American Ninja, Predator, Rambo, Invasion USA, Aliens, Terminator, etc.

Before teh interwebz, that was how we got interviews and background trivia about our favorite films!

Yes cool mags, I think I have ALL of them.,.but I might have sold a few..great articles on Jackie's career as he was taking off more in the west , as well as Sammo, Bruce's clones etc..

Man! Those were the good days! I believe I still have most of these including the first issue/special with Jackie Chan on the cover with 2 small pictures of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. It was a great issue with plenty of color pictures of Jackie from The Young Master and The Big Brawl (Battle Creek Brawl). There were a few of these magazines I never got my hands on, but don't recall which ones. They were great, especially for that time. They also included trivias, which I always found interesting, especially the one on John Liu. (please post someone!) ;-)

Great Stuff! Thanks for sharing.

thegoldenstate

This magazine was sooooo good!!!!

I used to have a bunch of copies, but unfortunately lost them during one of my many moves over the years. One of the things that was so great about MAM is that at a time when the genre was mostly maligned and subject to so much derision in the U.S., here was a publication in which people were writing about these films in an almost scholarly tone. I remember being sort of amazed as a kid to read it and learn that there were actually adults in the world who were taking these movies seriously as an artform. I had become so accustomed to people viewing them in contrast to Hollywood films and endlessly making fun of the bad dubbing and low budgets and so forth. Even just reading one of the reviews one could learn so much about these films, as the writers would invariably drop in all sorts of incidental factoids.

Request -- does anyone reading this have a copy of the one pictured below, as well as the issue following it, and if so, would they be able to scan a copy of the "Bruce Lee Exploitation Films" articles?? I used to have them dang-near memorized as a kid, but now all I can remember is the writer breaking down the main Bruceploitation guys and trying to list their best qualities. (I think Bruce Li got points for his acting, Bruce Le for his nunchaku skills and Dragon Lee for his muscles and facial expressions. Or something like that...)

MMM100001.jpg

I used to have all those MAM mags...used to get them mail order from Paul Crompton's (KOA) mail order outlet. Sold 'em a couple of years ago...they were great mags. It morphed into a mag called "Action Cinema" and then died off.

Archived