Anyone remember this great magazine?

saltysam

Having a rummage today and came across a few isues of this great magazine that i started collecting nearly 28 years ago :l anyone else remember it with any fondness?

MMM10001.jpg

MMM20001.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

I used to buy Inside Kung Fu and Black Belt magizines. I never saw any of the MA Movie magazines at my local bookstore but I would have definately bought them if they did. I remember one mag that came out for a short while called Masters and Styles and featured MA from different styles demonstrating different ways to handle an attack against an opponent. Some of the people I remembered featured were Chuck Norris, William Cheung, and Paulie Zink, a monkey stylist.

Hell yes. Had 2 issues I believe. I remember an interview with Conan Lee and reviews from Masked Avengers, 3 Evil Masters, Lion vs Lion.

Loved that magazine.

thelastweaponmaster

I am going to be dating myself here but I actually have every issue of this magazine. It definitely was a good read from a number of informed contributors/intense fan base. I actually wrote an article (on the film career of Liu Chia-liang to that point) that made it into the last issue of 'Martial Arts Movies'. I corresponded with a Daniel Lee from Toronto, Canada for a number of years on the martial arts genre through the post (pre-Internet days), and he was a frequent contributor to the magazine.

Strange Magic

i had a couple of issues I found right ater seeing a double feature of Kill and Kill Again and The Big Brawl at a drive in...

Strange Magic

Just found a few issues on ebay...pricey though it the $10-20 range. looks like the magazine lasted a lot longer than I thought it did...well into the 90's from what i saw...

Just found a few issues on ebay...pricey though it the $10-20 range. looks like the magazine lasted a lot longer than I thought it did...well into the 90's from what i saw...
no it stopped being published regularly around 1983.it was incorporated into Inside Kung Fu i think though some one-off specials may have continued to be published.

Guest Markgway

If anyone's interested in trading...

I have an issue of INSIDE KUNG-FU from May 1993 with Jason Scott Lee in DRAGON on the cover. Excellent condition.

Also have an issue of JADE SCREEN Feb/Mar 2004 with Gordon Liu cover. Almost excellent condition.

PM if interested... :)

tantao3-son of tantao2

...these were the good old days...great, solid information...from a well-informed "fan-base"...

to lastweaponmaster: is daniel lee still "active" today?

thelastweaponmaster

Hi. That was actually a close knit fan base back there. Daniel Lee was a very knowledgeable fan of the Hong Kong movie scene, had put out his own periodic newsletter and was also a contributor to a fanzine back then called the "Jade Screen" as well as to the magazine "Martial Arts Movies". If I remember correctly, "Jade Screen" was based out of Florida and put together by two female fans, one of them being Karen Shaub. Back then, I was familiar with the Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest films. Daniel exposed me to martial arts films made by the independent film companies starring the likes of Tan Tao-liang and John Liu and such films as Snuff Bottle Connection and Secret Rivals 1 and 2.

As for Daniel, unfortunately I have lost track of him many years ago. If anyone knows of him, I wouldn't mind getting back in touch with him to catch up. Thanks.

shaolin drunkard

Does any1 remember mag called "asian trash cinema"?It was quite cool,as name suggest covered several genres.Chambara,kungfu,cat3,heroic bloodshed etc...

And that's martial arts how?? :S
They loved any american movies that featured a form of fighting.I mean Silent Rage is on the cover and i think there were 2 fights in the whole film.

Archived