Shinjuku Incident too violent for China

Bravery

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjScitMMu_wCg3CUQyxw2G2NpazAD96CMNV00

HONG KONG (AP) — Jackie Chan, the comical kung fu king, is starring in a new movie so violent that its director decided not to release it in mainland China, which doesn't have a film ratings system.

Hong Kong director Derek Yee told The Associated Press on Monday that he considered toning down the violence in "Shinjuku Incident" so it could pass censorship in China, but decided not to because he thought it would hurt the integrity of the movie.

Yee said the $25 million Chinese-language movie, in which Chan plays a refugee who escapes to Japan and becomes a killer for the mob, has scenes that show characters getting a hand chopped off and pierced with knives.

"We tried to cut the violent scenes to meet the requirements of the Chinese market, but producers I invited to watch that version thought it was incomplete," he said.

Yee said Chan, who invested in the movie, agreed with his decision.

Solon So, chief executive of Chan's company, JC Group, confirmed Yee's account.

China doesn't have a ratings system, so every movie is released for all audiences. Chinese censors are also wary of subject matter that is politically sensitive, like Tibet or the military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Yee said he wasn't worried about the film's setting of Japan — another sensitive topic in China.

"For us, the problem was just the violence," he said.

Sino-Japanese relations remain tense because of Japan's brutal occupation of China during World War II. The 2005 Hollywood film "Memoirs of a Geisha" was not released on the mainland apparently because the sight of Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li portraying Japanese entertainers would offend viewers.

Yee's decision also had financial implications because the film is expensive by Asian standards and China is an increasingly important market, where a hit movie can make millions of U.S. dollars.

"Shinjuku Incident" will be released in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia on April 2 and in Japan on May 1.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez

Well, let's hope that the film will still be widely recognized as something unique to Chan.

As long as the story is good and the editing well done then I think the film will still perform well regardless of it's released in mainland China or not.

Looks like Jackie Chan new movie wont be released in mainland China due to intense violence.

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-5-/

HONG KONG - Jackie Chan, the comical kung fu king, is starring in a new movie so violent that its director decided not to release it in mainland China, which doesn't have a film ratings system.

Hong Kong director Derek Yee said Monday that he considered toning down the violence in "Shinjuku Incident" so it could pass censorship in China , but decided not to because he thought it would hurt the integrity of the movie.

Yee said the $25 million Chinese-language movie, in which Chan plays a refugee who escapes to Japan and becomes a killer for the mob, has scenes that show characters getting a hand chopped off and pierced with knives.

"We tried to cut the violent scenes to meet the requirements of the Chinese market, but producers I invited to watch that version thought it was incomplete," he said.

Yee said Chan, who invested in the movie, agreed with his decision.

Solon So, chief executive of Chan's company, JC Group, confirmed Yee's account.

China doesn't have a ratings system, so every movie is released for all audiences. Chinese censors are also wary of subject matter that is politically sensitive, like Tibet or the military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Yee said he wasn't worried about the film's setting of Japan — another sensitive topic in China.

"For us, the problem was just the violence," he said.

Sino-Japanese relations remain tense because of Japan's brutal occupation of China during World War II. The 2005 Hollywood film "Memoirs of a Geisha" was not released on the mainland apparently because the sight of Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li portraying Japanese entertainers would offend viewers.

Yee's decision also had financial implications because the film is expensive by Asian standards and China is an increasingly important market, where a hit movie can make millions of U.S. dollars.

"Shinjuku Incident" will be released in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia on April 2 and in Japan on May 1.

drunkenmaster

I don't think it is going to be that kind of film. This is going to be a gritty drama with some bouts of extreme violence. I'd be very surprised if there are any "action" scenes of a kung fu kind.

I must admit I am looking forward to this film and I really hope Jackie will show a dramatic side that has so far only been touched upon lightly.

Jackie Chan needs to make one last epic. One final tribute to Kung Fu movies and he needs to finish his career with style.

He needs to blend intense drama with cutting edge fight sequences and he needs to work with Sammo again.

As for this film, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

I keep an open mind on everything except American horror films.

drunkenmaster
beat it,he showed his "drama" in a crap movie like "Myth".

But Derek Yee is another thing,i'll watch because of him.

In "The Myth" Jackie overacted, as he also did in "New Police Story". I'm hoping Derek Yee will show more control as a director and bring a more natural performance from Jackie.

Archived