The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

Well, this is not an Ip Man movie, so the title fits the picture. Lot of styles as the Captain stated, although the way its edited, much is lost. Interesting that they used many mainland styles not usually used by the HK or Taiwan opera guys. Action is kind of mystical and not realistic. There's floating and over exaggerated power. Couple of fights have that Matrix Revolutions base in look and feel. ZZY is involved in the 2 best fights. Could have used vocal audio to give it something but they decided to go for music as the force instead.

My biggest problem with the action is that it's all go and stop. Fight, pause, restart, stop. As a result everything lacks the flow that would have existed if they went straight through with some of the fights. Done that way, I find it distracting, frustrating and lose connection with it. TL doesn't even have the last fight, so it's interesting that they originally pushed him so hard as the star, but that's not the movie this is.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see according to jaynestars Tony Leung is claiming to be Ip Man's last to dai/disciple, considering Ip Man died in 72, how old was Leung when he did bai see (usually reserved for 10 years training...) I reckon he would have been 10 or 11???

I thought the Grandmaster of Almightiness Leung Ting was Yip Man's last to dai. The plot thickens!

Wait, Jaynestars says that it was Tony Leung Siu Hung that was Yip's last to dai (I thought you meant Leung Chiu Wai).

I'm confused, and here I was thinking that Henry Araneda (Melbourne-based Wing Chun and Hung Gar Sifu) was training him.

Maybe they translated something incorrectly.

Yeah jaynestars claimed that Tony Leung Siu Hung was Ip Man's last to dai, seems the sort of bulls##t that Western sites use to big up someone's background, Tony Leung Siu Hung is in his mid-50's at most.....

I think the word I am searching for is Bo##ocks!!!

Yeah jaynestars claimed that Tony Leung Siu Hung was Ip Man's last to dai, seems the sort of bulls##t that Western sites use to big up someone's background, Tony Leung Siu Hung is in his mid-50's at most.....

I think the word I am searching for is Bo##ocks!!!

Yeah, most definitely. I'd use a different word, but the intent is the same.

Well, this is not an Ip Man movie, so the title fits the picture. Lot of styles as the Captain stated, although the way its edited, much is lost. Interesting that they used many mainland styles not usually used by the HK or Taiwan opera guys. Action is kind of mystical and not realistic. There's floating and over exaggerated power. Couple of fights have that Matrix Revolutions base in look and feel. ZZY is involved in the 2 best fights. Could have used vocal audio to give it something but they decided to go for music as the force instead.

Well, it’s choreographed by YWP, so we’re bound to get meticulously executed but highly exaggerated, airborne and of course pretty “unrealistic” fight action here. To view this film with the expectation that this AC would stick to just exemplary, “pure” Wing Chun moves is nigh on impossible.

Then WKW adds his touch, something you probably meant with “mystical”, obscuring the action (rain-showers, snowflakes, intense lighting, editing choices, etc), but that shouldn’t come as a surprise either.

The “fight-pause-restart-stop” rhythm you mentioned didn’t distract me at all, it perfectly matched the rousing, strongly percussive score and I loved it!

What I meant was that it's played heavy handed as all of these mainland pictures are done, so its feels as though it would come off more "realistic" in its action. It comes off sometimes like wu xia with some of it's action(TL vs ZZY, ZZY snowflake ba qua etc). The skills come off extra, like heroes from a book rather than martial master(mystical/wu xia-realistic). The WC is barely detectable most times the way it was all put together. Like I said most of what the styles are, is lost in the way its shot and edited but it makes everyone look credible.

It all comes off negative but I don't mean it that way. It's observation not complaint. I really don't care to complain.

A short video with Yuen Wo Ping on the set of The Grandmaster. Unfortunately not subtitled in English but still worth a watch:

hIJrWeADEfw

One Armed Boxer

Looks like this is going to get a further 15 minutes chopped off for the western release, and nothing to do with the Weinsteins this time....apparently Wong Kar Wei is still not through fiddling around with it...even after all these years and an actual release in HK & China!

News courtesy of Twitch (& lookout for a very familiar rant off exiled forum member Yi Long in the comments section of the article!) -

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/02/wong-kar-wai-shortens-the-grand-master-further-ahead-of-berlin.html

Oh dear. I’m truly glad I went to see this again last week in one of the few HK theatres where its actually shown with English subs (presumably they didn’t have enough subtitled prints ready on time!), so I don’t have to queue up for tickets here in Berlin in a few days. Second viewing of the 130 minute version plus full comprehension of the Canto and Mandarin dialogues confirmed the strong impression I had after catching it on its opening day in China: this is an absolutely exhilarating film, possibly one of the best in years!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Thanks for confirming Sheng, now I can't contain myself from excitement juices running down my leg! WKW films kick ass!!

I'm not sure how, but the whole film is on You Tube. No subtitles though. I refuse to watch it in this format but if any of you are interested...

EDIT: I felt a little guilty about posting the full film on here and so I'm editing this post.

I would refuse to watch pretty much any film I'm interested in on YouTube - period. And as far as I'm concerned, M.O.T.H.E.R.F.U.C.K.E.R.S who sneak into theatres with camcorders, steal the movies and then upload them should be dealt with at a Sharia court! :xd:

But seriously now, in the Pacific Place Mall theatre in Central where I watched THE GRANDMASTER they actually issued a warning about the illegal taping of films before showtime and then announced that the usherers would check repeatedly if anyone uses recording equipment. And the ladies really walked up and down the aisles every half hour or so peeling their eyes! I wish they would do this everywhere in HK and especially on the Mainland. These YouTube/YouKu-uploaded or sold-on-DVD camcorder hack jobs are the scourge of the Asian movie industry.

JERRY: What do you mean he's bootlegging the movie?

KRAMER: Well, it's a perfectly legitimate business.

JERRY: It's not legitimate.

KRAMER: ...it's a business.

I would refuse to watch pretty much any film I'm interested in on YouTube - period. And as far as I'm concerned, M.O.T.H.E.R.F.U.C.K.E.R.S who sneak into theatres with camcorders, steal the movies and then upload them should be dealt with at a Sharia court! :xd:

But seriously now, in the Pacific Place Mall theatre in Central where I watched THE GRANDMASTER they actually issued a warning about the illegal taping of films before showtime and then announced that the usherers would check repeatedly if anyone uses recording equipment. And the ladies really walked up and down the aisles every half hour or so peeling their eyes! I wish they would do this everywhere in HK and especially on the Mainland. These YouTube/YouKu-uploaded or sold-on-DVD camcorder hack jobs are the scourge of the Asian movie industry.

Watched it again, dvd release. Must say I'm even less caring to the action than before. As I said I don't care so I won't break it down.

This is Zhang Jin, the student, the one that fights ZZY at the end.

Yeah where can I get this DVD release? lol

The bootleg kung fu store close to me closed down. Now I have to actually wait for legitimate releases of new movies.

TibetanWhiteCrane
JERRY: What do you mean he's bootlegging the movie?

KRAMER: Well, it's a perfectly legitimate business.

JERRY: It's not legitimate.

KRAMER: ...it's a business.

Cry, Cry Again......

Good one, Teak....

The bootleg kung fu store close to me closed down.

... which means you won't be tempted to butter the bread of THIEVES no more!

Now I have to actually wait for legitimate releases of new movies.

Welcome to the club!

... which means you won't be tempted to butter the bread of THIEVES no more!

Welcome to the club!

Funny thing is, all the movies I own bootlegs of I've also bought the official releases as well.

Just watched it mandarin with eng subs. Pretty disappointing for me. The film moves at a very slow pace throughout and I just couldn't get into it. Zhang Ziyi stood out the most with her role and I agree she has the best action in the film. But the fights have too much slo mo, close ups and are heavily edited for me to enjoy.

Archived