The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

I liked 2046 but I saw it more as a follow-up to ITMFL instead of expecting a new DOBW (which is my favourite movie of all-time btw.
I love the look of DOBW; anyone who hasn't seen it should do so.

I LOVE Ashes of Time, but then WKW fucked it, and all his fans, over with an unnecessary "REDUX".

I was so furious that I haven't watched anything by him since!

Unfortunately artists jump the shark but still need to pay the bills.

I hope Grandmasters will be better than his last few efforts because it will be him applying his spin to an existing story, not retreading his previous works.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem I had with Ashes of Time Redux was that Brigitte Lin was missing from the cast interviews, which is the only reason I bought it in the first place. I love Carina but her character in that film was seconds with no speaking role. Brigitte should have been interviewed....

Laura

masterofoneinchpunch
The only problem I had with Ashes of Time Redux was that Brigitte Lin was missing from the cast interviews, which is the only reason I bought it in the first place. I love Carina but her character in that film was seconds with no speaking role. Brigitte should have been interviewed....

Laura

Brigitte has turned down many interviews over the years so I think it is expected not to normally see her on an extras.

Wong Kar-wai has stated that the film elements were in tatters basically stating in the extras: "1998 financial crisis hit; had to pick up negative because lab where stored went bankrupt; materials not good. Got materials from oversea distributors, Taiwan, Chinese cinemas in U.S. Had to recut, remaster the film and resound." He does have a history of retinkering, but I don't think anyone should be overly upset with him for that cut.

My favorite is still Days of Being Wild.

Guest Yi-Long
Brigitte has turned down many interviews over the years so I think it is expected not to normally see her on an extras.

Wong Kar-wai has stated that the film elements were in tatters basically stating in the extras: "1998 financial crisis hit; had to pick up negative because lab where stored went bankrupt; materials not good. Got materials from oversea distributors, Taiwan, Chinese cinemas in U.S. Had to recut, remaster the film and resound." He does have a history of retinkering, but I don't think anyone should be overly upset with him for that cut.

My favorite is still Days of Being Wild.

Even if I believed the excuse he used about the film-material not being great anymore, he shouldn't have replaced the brilliant original soundtrack with the Yoyo Ma soundtrack.

He just released the whole Redux for the simple reason of seeing an interest from Hollywood in these poetic Wuxia movies, and he just decided he would want to bring his epic Ashes of Time under attention again.

I guess just re-releasing it exactly as it was wasn't an option, so they decided to make a big deal about doing a REDUX, and that meant he had to cut and fuck it up.

Personally, when you look at the quality of the video that IS in the Redux, I find it hard to imagine that those few extra scenes would somehow be 'unwatchable'...

...even neglecting the fact that I would prefer a mediocre looking UNCUT version over a gorgeous looking incomplete version.

But yeah, we've all had that discussion a billion times already... so I won't repeat it again :crossedlips:

This may have been posted somewhere else on the site before now as it's fairly old news, but here is a small summary of some screened footage...

A little girl watches her father practice a deadly martial art called Bogua in a snowy courtyard. Her narration tells us that her father forbade her from watching him train, but she doesn’t and soon their positions are switched as this little girl clumsily tries to mimic her father while he catches her in the act.

At first he looks sad, then resigned, as the voice over explains that her father told her no matter what she attempted in life, she would become the best at it and then we see him training the girl.

Cut to the girl all grown up (Ziyi Zhang) training alone in the snow, much like her father and with the same semi-Force power and grace. Ice cycles quiver as she punches the air, flakes of snow slam into tree bark and the limbs of a cherry blossom shake as she gracefully moves from stance to stance.

And here are the leaked snapshots...

5V8QF.jpg

WKcFV.jpg

00vgZ.jpg

353L0.jpg

Again, sorry if all this has been posted prior to now.

I'll say one thing - it certainly LOOKS gorgeous. The visuals alone have me hyped.

Kung fu wise? Hm...interesting. There seems to be a lot of slow motion and those jerky edits we saw in the original teaser, but hopefully this one lives up to the talent that's on board.

Yup, I'm excited.

Well I hope that we don't suffer through that slow motion shit! But I cannot wait to see this movie, its seems like we've been waiting forever for it to come out.

ShaOW!linDude

Well....I'm ambivalent. Some cool slo-mo; a cool move here and there; some cool depictions of impact.....but no segments showing even a 3-5 second run of the choreography. My opinion really hasn't changed since the 1st trailer. It's still meh to me. I'll wait to see what some of you think once it actually comes out.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Whenever a (western) reviewer says "the most gorgious martial arts sequences ever filmed" I get nervous.

ShaOW!linDude
Whenever a (western) reviewer says "the most gorgious martial arts sequences ever filmed" I get nervous.

Agreed. I find the trailer fight sequence a bit too much in the style of The Matrix for me (which seems strange to say seeing as Yuen Woo Ping choreographed that and this, too, but you get what I mean). Still, I'm intrigued. Would like to see a couple of more clips of the choreography to get a better feel of it.

ShaOW!linDude

Interesting review in DiP's link.

This caught my eye.

In one breathtaking sequence, the masters of several northern style martial arts each spar with Ip Man (Tony Leung) to show him how to take on Gong Bao Shen, the retiring chairman of the Chinese Martial Artists Union in Foshan. With this sequence, not only does Tony Leung show how well he has acquaint himself with the style of Wing Chun, Wong Kar Wai also shows off his (and his collaborators - including martial arts scholar Xu Haofeng) dedication in faithfully depicting the various forms of martial arts in his film.

If there's no wire-work in that, I'll be surprised. Hope that I am.

i know that first trailer did nothing for most here but seeing those 2 making of docus on youtube you could see a lot of effort went into the kung fu in this one, lets hope they show it .

I see according to jaynestars Tony Leung is claiming to be Ip Man's last to dai/disciple, considering Ip Man died in 72, how old was Leung when he did bai see (usually reserved for 10 years training...) I reckon he would have been 10 or 11???

Went to see this yesterday on its Chinese opening day on a huuuge screen and, after way to many tepid period films primarily designed to do business in Chinese Multiplexes in recent years, I am truly relieved to proclaim that this definitely delivers! And that’s confidently ignoring the fact that some of the poetic dialogue in the second hour of this 130 minute spectacle got lost on me since I only got to see the film without subs. First half is extremely tight, not much time for WKW-typical blue moods, fractured stoytelling and introspection here. Yuen Woo Ping’s fight choreo and WKW’s art design are out-of-sight and blended incredibly well and the performances of Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi are nothing less than sensational – and not just in the dramatic sphere but, dare I say it, both are also surprisingly convincing as screen fighters!

Score is fantastic as well, got almost swept away by the drum crescendos during the rain-drenched fight scenes and also during the languid, melancholic moments in the second half where some haunting period songs are used. Generally the second half of the film gets a lil’ jerky and rushed and lacks the narrative coherence of the first, but the belatedly revealed love story does pull you in. The artistic decision not to use any obvious CGI for “recreating” tacky looking city skylines or the like, but to resort instead to blurry period footage to sketch location changes and set moods deserves a rousing round of applause too!

Anyway, so much for my first impressions, definitely a film that’s a must-see and one that’ll probably grow with every viewing. Might as well turn out to be WKW’s most commercial project so far, but to me that ain’t necessarily a bad thing…:wink:

just skipped through this at the beginning and tony leung fights Lau Kar-Yung who i didnt even know was in this movie decent fight a lot of detail on handwork and styles.

Archived