The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

From the trailer, do you get a feel of realism, story or otherwise about the movie? A guy bursts through a second story window and gently floats to the ground in the rain feels realistic? Granted the teaser isn't the best gauge for how the story will play, but it looks like the friggin Matrix. Doesn't give a vibe of a realistic glimpse into the real life of Yip Man.

Sammo did an amazing job on the IM movies? We all have our opinions. After watching those, I don't ever get excited to hear his name attached to any project. Don't like what I've seen of My Kingdom either. Give me Tony Leung's WC action direction and chor. over Sammo's 7 days a week.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trailer does look like something out of The Matrix. That is why I was thinking that YWP may not be the right guy for this movie. For an Wing Chun based movie, (at this point in time) I prefer Sammo doing the choreography. From this trailer there is no way to determine what the rest of the story will be or how it will be handled. I am basing future predictions on past performances from this director.

Not sure why they are calling it THE GRANDMASTERS. Maybe there is more to it than we have heard or perhaps they script has changed from the original concept. Maybe its an sci-fi movie where Ip Man has been cloned and now he must unleash the fury. (haha) At least is wasn`t named LEGEND OF THE GRANDMASTER(S).

glossy hollywood...sigh., i read in the latest impact magazine and saw on imdb that bruce liang is also in this movie , thats some hope.

Guest Yi-Long

Have some faith, people. It's WKW so you know it will look and sound stunning, and looking at the cast you also know it will have good performances from the actors.

Don't expect a brilliant martial arts movie and you'll be fine. Hoping it will also be a brilliant martial arts movies is ok ofcourse.

That's a funny statement considering the teaser IS of the action and NOT about the story. What would you expect people to expect?

Guest Yi-Long
That's a funny statement considering the teaser IS of the action and NOT about the story. What would you expect people to expect?

Exactly what it is: A WKW movie about Ip Man.

Have some faith, people. It's WKW so you know it will look and sound stunning, and looking at the cast you also know it will have good performances from the actors.

Don't expect a brilliant martial arts movie and you'll be fine. Hoping it will also be a brilliant martial arts movies is ok ofcourse.

Blech, why make a movie about a great martial arts master and then hope the audience doesn't expect a great martial arts film? Why not just make a WKW movie about an acrobat, a lawyer or a cook?

At any rate, Cung Le is in it and Yuen Woo Ping is doing the choreography, according to Le.

One Armed Boxer

After watching Donnie Yen`s kung-fu driven take on `Ip Man`, who ever decided that was a suitable trailer to put out and entice people to come and see this movie was seriously misguided.

If you`re going to have a trailer which focuses just on the fighting, you need it to contain a moment which makes you go `Wow!`, as I`m sure every one of us did when we saw Donnie pummeling someone to the ground with non-stop punches in the original `Ip Man` trailer. This looks like the end of `Matrix Revolutions`, and it doesn`t need to, Tony Leung is an amazing actor, I would rather have seen some dialogue scenes than what I saw here.

ok, just read yesterday that the producers/distributors said don't expect this out until sometime between summer and December 2012. probably will still premiere at Cannes though

I don't know if this has been noted or discussed but Lau Kar Leung is doing the choreography for the Hung Gar sequences.

I heard Pops was involved as a martial art consultant (although there are rumours he is ill again) but what Hung Gar sequences are in this movie, Ip Man never fought any Hung Gar si-fus in HK-not even on tables!!-or are they going to come up with more bullshit about him beating si-fus left right and centre. Maybe they should include his genuine historical meeting with Chow Gar Tong Long si-fu Ip Sui, who I also had the privilege to meet-as this had a profound effect on Ip Man...

As for that trailer looks like crap to me....

I heard Pops was involved as a martial art consultant (although there are rumours he is ill again) but what Hung Gar sequences are in this movie, Ip Man never fought any Hung Gar si-fus in HK-not even on tables!!-or are they going to come up with more bullshit about him beating si-fus left right and centre. Maybe they should include his genuine historical meeting with Chow Gar Tong Long si-fu Ip Sui, who I also had the privilege to meet-as this had a profound effect on Ip Man...

As for that trailer looks like crap to me....

I think we can expect embellishment, no matter what. Being a martial arts film, it will be a vehicle for action, to some extent and, hey, poetic license gives film makers the ability to chuck whatever they want into the mix. The third Ip Man film had him fighting ninjas, after all.

I might be in the minority here, but I think it's fine introducing Hung Gar into Ip Man's story, as long as it is done well. I don't necessarily need realism and whatnot, if what's on screen impresses me.

As a side note, how long before we see an actual Hung Gar film?

I'd class Wu Xia as a kind of Hung Gar flik considering how many times Donnie does the Hung finger, and the Leopard fist stuff he's doing is blatantly Hung style orientated...maybe that's why it's so wicked...

If WKW-yawn-is going to do a bio-pic at least make it factual....not make up bullshit about Ip Man defeating ten Japanese Karate dudes without breaking sweat....otherwise it's going to be Dragon all over again-Bruce hurt his back doing weights....boring....let's say a challenger booted him up....it never happened??....never mind...

@popsjnr

some info I had (from first hand)

originally they wanted the Hung Gar Master to be Lau Jaam,but LKL stepped in..

the producer of the movie is also a student of LKL (Sin Kwok Lam,who brought me once to the grave of Lau Jaam)..there were rumors they wanted to make a movie about Lau Jaam...

I hope the rest of the fighting scenes in the film is better than the one shown in the clip. With all the rain, I could barely see anything.

Laura

Is it me or does it seem like we have been hearing about this movie for years now?! WTF! Whats taken so long to finish it and get it released? Shit Donnie Yen will have Ip Man #3 finished before then!

Guest Yi-Long
I hope the rest of the fighting scenes in the film is better than the one shown in the clip. With all the rain, I could barely see anything.

Laura

It will be a WKW movie first, possibly a martial arts movie 2nd, as far as I'm concerned. I don't expect all that much from the fight-scenes anyway, considering how those in Ashes of Time looked.

I'm just hoping for a great Wong Kar Wai movie, and if it also happens to have great fightscenes, that will be a plus.

Is it me or does it seem like we have been hearing about this movie for years now?! WTF! Whats taken so long to finish it and get it released? Shit Donnie Yen will have Ip Man #3 finished before then!

Wong Kar Wai is known to take his time (although some of his best stuff was made relatively quickly, like Chungking Express). Obviously, this is annoying for those of us eager to watch it, but I'd rather have him take his time NOW, instead of going back to it after it's released and then fucking around with it...

Ashes of Time was one of my favorite films - right up there with Days of Being Wild and Chungking Express. I just hope I'm not disappointed with the film the way I was with 2046. The movie should have been a sequel to Days of Being Wild and instead of using Carina for this film, she appeared for maybe five minutes. I was so furious that I haven't watched anything by him since.

Laura

Guest Yi-Long
Ashes of Time was one of my favorite films - right up there with Days of Being Wild and Chungking Express. I just hope I'm not disappointed with the film the way I was with 2046. The movie should have been a sequel to Days of Being Wild and instead of using Carina for this film, she appeared for maybe five minutes. I was so furious that I haven't watched anything by him since.

Laura

I liked 2046 but I saw it more as a follow-up to ITMFL instead of expecting a new DOBW (which is my favourite movie of all-time btw.

I LOVE Ashes of Time, but then WKW fucked it, and all his fans, over with an unnecessary "REDUX".

I was so furious that I haven't watched anything by him since!

Archived