The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

Guest Yi-Long
Production has been put on hold due to Tony Leung's commitment to Derek Yee's next movie.

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/filming-halted-on-the-grandmasters-delayed-until/

Damn... :tinysmile_angry2_t: How fucking long do they want us to wait since 2046!?!?

Sohu Entertainment News are reporting that filming on ‘The Grandmasters’ has stopped and Wong Kar-wai has something else to be busy with.

Sure hope he isn't occupied with butchering another one of his own movies, like he did with Ashes of Time...

Meanwhile The Hollywood Reporter has noted that the film “has been delayed until the fourth quarter.”

Oh for fuck's sake....:cry:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long
A production doomed from the start.

:nerd:

Didn't they say the same about Ashes of Time? That was also a long and troublesome shoot, but the end result was fantastic, plus his 'diversion' was the quickly shot Chungking Express.

Didn't they say the same about Ashes of Time? That was also a long and troublesome shoot, but the end result was fantastic, plus his 'diversion' was the quickly shot Chungking Express.

This is the way to look at it:smile:

How opinions differ. I thought the end result was a load of pretentious rubbish and i wouldnt be suprised if this ended up the same way.

Guest Yi-Long
How opinions differ. I thought the end result was a load of pretentious rubbish and i wouldnt be suprised if this ended up the same way.

I loved everything about Ashes of Time. The story, the characters, the cinematography (dropdead gorgeous), the absolutely brilliant music, the acting, etc etc.

... and then WKW decided he would go back to this masterpiece and do a 'redux'.

-Sigh-

Wow, strong opinions! Do you like any of Wong Kar Wai's films or is it just Ashes of Time you don't get along with?

Personally The Grand Master is one of my most eagerly awaited upcoming movies. I'm not looking forward to it in the same way as I'm looking forward to seeing a new kung fu flick like Shaolin, but am looking forward to it because it'll be the first feature length Chinese movie WKW has directed since 2046 with the added bonus of it being about the life of Ip Man. I look forward to WKW vision during the fight sequences!

Of slight concern, is Christopher Doyle not doing the cinematography for this film?

I look forward to WKW vision during the fight sequences!

I bloody am not! I doubt I'll get to see this at a cinema, but if I did I'd walk out if he did that. Such gimmicky effects add absolutely nothing and are distracting. Everything cinematography shouldn't be.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for this one at all.

Love the cinematography! And Tony looks very convincing as an onscreen fighter. On the other hand, the editing was clumsy and you can't make out some of the shots. Let's see how this turns out.

Drunken Monk

Visually, the trailer looks lovely and lavish, but some of the editing was definitely off. Hopefully the action is a little tighter in the final cut.

ShaOW!linDude

Need to see more. It looks okay. What I don't get is that every hit is a power hit and whoever gets popped goes off on a wire-assisted flight. I don't mind super-powered MA's but it's becoming so frequent (seems to me anyway) that it's losing its coolness. Show me some technique, a little interplay involving form or shape, something with some flow.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Need to see more. It looks okay. What I don't get is that every hit is a power hit and whoever gets popped goes off on a wire-assisted flight. I don't mind super-powered MA's but it's becoming so frequent (seems to me anyway) that it's losing its coolness. Show me some technique, a little interplay involving form or shape, something with some flow.

Yeah it almost look super-heroish, from Marvel Studios or something... Fuck it, I'm desperate and need my Wong Kar Wai fix...

Mark Pollard

I just posted news on the front page.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/teaser-for-wong-kar-wais-the-grandmasters-18139

I agree with ShaOW!linDude. My first thought was too much style and not enough substance. The editing is definitely off and I've seen scenes like this before but with better screen fighters. I would have thought Wong could have highlighted something more creative or original as the first impression. But this is only one scene and the rest could be better.

Looks like Neo vs some agents. Wo Ping can't get out of his way with the wires. Everything he does has wire pulls from hits.

For Little Tony to be playing Yip Man, I didn't see the WC in there. From the looks of this, it probably would play better as a superhero movie.

"What I don't get is that every hit is a power hit and whoever gets popped goes off on a wire-assisted flight. I don't mind super-powered MA's but it's becoming so frequent (seems to me anyway) that it's losing its coolness. Show me some technique, a little interplay involving form or shape, something with some flow."

Yeah. It lost whatever it was supposed to do for the viewer 5 years ago. You want flow, Legend is Born: Ip Man or Panna.

Mark Pollard

You know, I've been watching a lot of late '60s, early '70s SB flicks lately and something I noticed is that before the shapes sub-genre got going, there wasn't a lot of flow in fight choreography back then either. Tang Chia and Lau Kar-leung were slowly changing that but for the most part heroes were semi-superpowered and cutting through their foes quickly. I would say it was the chambara and fantasy wuxia influence.

Yuen Woo-ping was there through the whole evolution of HK fight choreography since the '60s and must know the value of mixing up power hits with even exchanges. That's what made his early hits in the late '70s great. But fight sequences like this reminds me of watching Mike Tyson's early matches where he goes for the KO in the first round. Unless you're watching a sports highlight reel, where is the entertainment value in that?

Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung were truly the masters at getting the most out of even a throwaway screen fight and I sorely miss their '80s-era influence in HK fight choreography.

ShaOW!linDude
Looks like Neo vs some agents.

Yeah, it does. Like a scene out of MATRIX: RELOADED when Neo fights all the Agent Smiths in the courtyard. At the time, that was something new and phenomenal. Now? For almost every fight sequence? Yawn.

If things segued in choreography as MP stated, then this may just be part of the cycle in choreography and eventually form/shape choreography will once again come into play. Yuen Woo-Ping was great about mixing the 2. Now it seems to cater to the masses. Rather than trying to show them a truer display of MA, HK cinema seems to now rely more on Western influences of displays of physical power.

You know, I liked IP MAN 2 but I loved IP MAN 1. Why? The 1st film gave more of a depiction of Wing Chun though it did include power hits. The 2nd seemed to rely more on power hits and less on Wing Chun. Jaa and Panna always seemed able to both showcase the style of combat and have cool power hits and there's no doubt that's because they spent the time developing the choreography prior to filming.

Other HK/MA film-makers need to take the advice of "Mr. Miyagi": Find the balance.

Agree with most of your comments (Wow Yip Man is a super hero). Too much style and not enough Wing Chun, hopefully the rest of the movie is better.

Guest Yi-Long

I like how it looks, but then again, I already mentioned before that I'm expecting a WKW movie that will have martial arts in it, instead of a straight-up martial arts movie.

Also, Wing Chun is supposed to be direct and powerful, so I don't mind him scoring 1-hit knockdowns with 'power-moves' when fighting multiple opponents. When I knee someone in the face or hit them straight on the nose they will also go down.

Ofcourse we'll have to wait and see, but it's WKW, it's Tony Leung, it's 'Ip Man'.... as long as they don't cut it up or do a 'redux' or whatever, I'm sure I'll like it, or at least I will enjoy the visuals, the soundtrack, and the acting...

Not sure that Yuen Woo Ping is the correct person to choreograph an Ip Man movie. What can be added after the amazing job that Sammo did on the Ip Man movies we already have? Perhaps we may get a more realistic glimpse into the real life of Ip Man. This may be one of those martial arts films where I would prefer more story and less fighting.

Archived