The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

I'm highly anticipating this but I really hope Yuen Woo Ping is back on form in regards to choreography. "True Legend" has its moments but I was surprised by the lackluster effort put into making the fights groundbreaking.

I feel that if Woo Ping keeps the choreography grounded and just gives it a realism-based flare, it could really be something special.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt know Woo Ping was doing the fights!!!Awsome!

tho im not to crazy about the headline....

"In Martial Arts there is no right or wrong, only the last man standing...."

who the hell thought of that dumb stereotypical catchphrase smh

That girl is really gorgeous so at least with the film isn't much good I'm sure she'll keep any red-blooded man's attention!

I'm highly anticipating this but I really hope Yuen Woo Ping is back on form in regards to choreography. "True Legend" has its moments but I was surprised by the lackluster effort put into making the fights groundbreaking.

I feel that if Woo Ping keeps the choreography grounded and just gives it a realism-based flare, it could really be something special.

Not that I have seen True Legend but isn't it more worrying that he can't deliver with talented on screen martial artists and then be expected to deliver without.

Twitch posted this and it looks like the title may be changed to THE GRANDMASTERS but it has Tony Leung in character as Yip Man.

Grandmasters.jpg

That's the beauty of Wing Chun: you can relatively quickly look like you know what you're doing. It's not like wushu where you have to jump 2 meters in the air while doing a split kick, or like Taekwonde where you can do spinning flipkicks and leg-holding and such.

I'm sure Tony Leung will have put in the hours to be able to make it look convincing :)

True, he's a professional. There's also a lot of annoying tricks we've had to put up with in movies since the '90s that directors use to make mildly or unskilled people look like martial artists; i.e. MTV-style editing, close-ups, slow-mo, extreme undercranking, wires, extensive doubling...

Wait, Zhang Ziyi is in this?

Ugh.

Scans from HK mag showing Wong Kar-wai and Song Hye Kyo discussing the film's photos/stills in a meeting. You can see Tony Leung and Song Hye Kyo in the enlarged bottom right pic.

12731417_51n.jpg

Song Hye Kyo

12731417_61n.jpg

Song Hye Kyo and Zhang Ziyi

12731417_71n.jpg

Source: xinhuanet

Guest Yi-Long
When is this due to be released?

This is Wong Kar Wai, so I suspect no-one knows.

Maybe he'll try to get it 'finished' before Cannes, so he can show it there, but don't be surprised if he'll continue tweaking it once it's premiered at that festival.

Wong's version of the Ip Man legend was developed BEFORE Raymond Wong's Mandarin Films made their now award winning film.

Leung had been training for the film for quite a few years and even suffered a broken arm while training. I think this will be quite interesting movie and will be up for comparison with IP MAN.

Guest Yi-Long

I'm not expecting a martial arts movie though. I'm expecting a WKW movie.

If it has fantastic wing-chun and martial arts scenes in it, that will be a plus, but WKW's movies are almost always pretty damn special.

yeah, this one is starting to become my most anticipated of the year. 2010 was a pretty decent year for HK films, and there just aren't as many exciting ones coming out this year. Shaolin, Johnnie To and Milkyway's stuff (!), Donnie's 2 films, and this one really are the only ones I can say I'm excited for right now...unless I'm forgetting something. Dante Lam's new one sounds ok, I'd definitely check it out, but I was hoping he'd do that project with Nick Cheung, Anthony Wong, Lau Ching-Wan, and Francis Ng next. The Grand Masters should be approached as a Wong Kar-Wai film 1st, and a martial arts film 2nd I'd say. even if the fight scenes are shot the same way those in Ashes of Time were, it still wouldn't affect my enjoyment of this movie, but w/ Yuen Woo-Ping involved, it may have some dazzling camerawork yet, and that would just be a bonus. oh yeah, I forgot about Tsui Hark's upcoming film with Jet Li, Zhou Xun, and Guey Lun-Mei-that one will be a must see!

I don't mean to spoil anything, but Tony Leung's double (for some fighting scenes) was a Wing Chun Sifu from Australia.

Tony Leung's main Wing Chun instructyor for the last few years as this geared up for production is Darren Leung, son of Sifu Duncan Leung http://wingchunkungfu.cn/ and http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Duncan-Leung-Wing-Chun-Warrior-p/dl01.htm

Yuen Woo-ping, Guy Lai, Frankie Chan etc have all been involved with the film ref choreography and martial arts consultants so fingers crossed for this one

Guest Yi-Long
Tony Leung's main Wing Chun instructyor for the last few years as this geared up for production is Darren Leung, son of Sifu Duncan Leung http://wingchunkungfu.cn/ and http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Duncan-Leung-Wing-Chun-Warrior-p/dl01.htm

Yuen Woo-ping, Guy Lai, Frankie Chan etc have all been involved with the film ref choreography and martial arts consultants so fingers crossed for this one

Is Frankie doing the soundtrack again? That guy is amazing. Such a shame that WKW screwed him over by replacing his perfect soundtrack for Ashes of Time with Yoyo Ma versions...

A grandstudent of Duncan Leung was a stunt double for Tony Leung. I'm guessing Darren Leung would be his sibak, or sisuk.

Archived