The Grandmaster (2012)

Milkyway

Leading Asian stars to converge in HK for entertainment expo

HONG KONG: Leading players in Asia's entertainment scene are set to converge in Hong Kong at the end of March for the fifth Hong Kong Film and Entertainment Expo.

Despite the global economic slowdown, veteran Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, who is the expo's ambassador, has promised to attract global investment to the city's film industry.

He said: "My feelings are the same as last year - I'm very happy to see the Entertainment Expo improving year by year. Everyone here seems to have a lot of faith in me, allowing me to continue to do my job."

Leung, who starred in John Woo's "Red Cliff", is vying for top honours alongside Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea" and Chen Kaige's "Forever Enthralled" at this year's Asian Film Awards, which is part of the expo.

The actor also revealed he is about to start filming in June on director Wong Kar Wai's biopic about Ip Man, the kungfu master who taught martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

He said: "We're at a very exciting stage now, in the middle of pre-production work. I'm working hard everyday, finding the character, doing physical kungfu training, and reading a lot about Ip Man himself."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/408075/1/.html

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Chou rejects the role as Bruce Lee

Owing to tight schedule, Taiwanese pop idol Jay Chou had to decline offer to cast as his own idol, Bruce Lee, in Wong Kar Wai's movie "The Grand Master".

Besides Wong's proposal, Wilson Yip, director of "Ip Man 2" has also specifically named Chou to take on the role as Bruce Lee in his movie; Chou's company JVR Music however commented that they have yet to received Yip's invite.

Chou's heavy involvement as director and male lead actor in his own sci-fi drama production "Panda Heroes" formed part of the reason why he could not take on Wong's movie. On the drama's press conference held in Taipei on Tuesday, he announced that several young artistes from Greater China would be casting in the drama, including his rumored girlfriend Jessie Jiang. "The female lead from Taiwan was decided internally. For China, I think Zhou Xun most fit the bill but she is too popular. A new face with long hair and big eyes is more manageable," he said.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/xin/20090219/ten-654-jay-chou-rejects-role-bruce-lee-3c1b9bc.html

Jay Chou rejects the role as Bruce Lee

Owing to tight schedule, Taiwanese pop idol Jay Chou had to decline offer to cast as his own idol, Bruce Lee, in Wong Kar Wai's movie "The Grand Master".

Et tu, WKW? Does Jay Chou really have something I'm not seeing? Both movies must REALLY be trying to play up the young punk angle on Bruce.

Et tu, WKW? Does Jay Chou really have something I'm not seeing? Both movies must REALLY be trying to play up the young punk angle on Bruce.

Well, The Little Dragon was a young punk!

:nerd:

Guest Yi-Long

Bruce Lee was a teenager at the time he was studying WC in Yip Man's school. He should be played by a teenager, and not by some 20-something popstar.

edit: He's already 30 years old(!)

Et tu, WKW? Does Jay Chou really have something I'm not seeing?
Have you seen his film (which he directed and starred in) Secret? It's good.

In any event, WKW is known for getting great performances out of his stars.

Have you seen his film (which he directed and starred in) Secret? It's good.

In any event, WKW is known for getting great performances out of his stars.

Surprisingly, a lot of people told me it was good. It didn't really interest me though. Jay Chou as a musician? Wow, I don't know if he's going to be able to pull that off. :D I'll put it on my list, but I'm still glad he's not playing Bruce.

EDIT: To be fair though, it's not like WKW only casts actors I like. I hate Karen Mok as much as I do any HK actor, but I still liked Fallen Angels.

Ip Man movies are like buses... none come along and then...

Same could be said of Donnie Yen performances.

:D

doug maverick

whats the difference. if he makes a chinese film or english language film. their are no races barriers in art. my blue berry nights, while not good wasnt that bad either. not to mention that was an indie film not a big hollywood machine film so there were no studio execs saying you cant do this or that hampering wong, sorry to disappoint you. he just picked a horrible lead actress that was the one failure of that film. norah jones couldnt hold a candle let alone my attention in that film.

Tony Leung's Arm Broken during Kung Fu Training

Hong Kong actor Tony Leung broke his arm on Monday while practicing martial arts for his next film, "Grand Master".

Leung, who was cast as Ip Man in director Wong Kar-war's new project was practising a fight scene with several other kung fu practitioners. Both Leung and the others used their full strength to create an actual fight. However, Leung missed a kick from an opponent and his left arm was hit, according to a report on the web portal on.cc.

The "Lust, Caution" star is expected to recover in five to six weeks - the report quotes a doctor as saying.

"Grand Master", or "Yi Dai Zong Shi', is a biopic based on the life of Ip Man, who was internationally known as the master of the late kung fu star Bruce Lee. Filming is set to start in August or September, according to earlier reports. It is not yet known if the schedule will be delayed by the actor's injury.

At the end of last year, "Ip Man', a film with a similar subject featuring Donnie Yen as Ip Man, won both critical and box office success in China.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/07/14/1221s501253.htm

Tony Leung's Arm Broken during Kung Fu Training

Hong Kong actor Tony Leung broke his arm on Monday while practicing martial arts for his next film, "Grand Master".

Leung, who was cast as Ip Man in director Wong Kar-war's new project was practising a fight scene with several other kung fu practitioners. Both Leung and the others used their full strength to create an actual fight. However, Leung missed a kick from an opponent and his left arm was hit, according to a report on the web portal on.cc.

The "Lust, Caution" star is expected to recover in five to six weeks - the report quotes a doctor as saying.

"Grand Master", or "Yi Dai Zong Shi', is a biopic based on the life of Ip Man, who was internationally known as the master of the late kung fu star Bruce Lee. Filming is set to start in August or September, according to earlier reports. It is not yet known if the schedule will be delayed by the actor's injury.

At the end of last year, "Ip Man', a film with a similar subject featuring Donnie Yen as Ip Man, won both critical and box office success in China.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/07/14/1221s501253.htm

"Never take your eyes off your opponent... Even when you block."

:xd:

Leung: Wong Kar-Wai's Kung Fu Biopic Action-Packed

Star says Wong Kar-wai's kung fu biopic will be action-packed

Hong Kong art-house filmmaker Wong Kar-wai is known for his slow, moody dramas, so when he announced his next project would be a kung fu flick, some were worried it would be more tears and talking than fists of fury.

But the film's star, Cannes-winning actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, admitted Tuesday that when filming of "The Grand Master" started, the action was so fast-paced that he "almost couldn't hang in there."

"This is a genuine kung fu movie," Leung said at a news conference, adding "there really will be many action scenes."

Leung is starring as the late Ip Man, a pioneer in promoting the wing chun style of kung fu who coached Bruce Lee in his teenage years. Wong's biopic is the second similar movie in recent years. Hong Kong director Wilson Yip's "Ip Man" was a hit in 2008, starring Donnie Yen.

Leung, however, promised it would be a very different take on the martial arts master.

It's guaranteed to be a sharp change in genre for Wong, whose films have drawn Hollywood admirers like Nicole Kidman and Sofia Coppola. His credits include "As Tears Go By," "Chungking Express," "Happy Together" and "In the Mood for Love." "Happy Together" won him best director at the Cannes Film Festival in 1997.

His most recent film was the 2007 English-language release "My Blueberry Nights." Wong's English debut marked singer Norah Jones' first movie and drew an ensemble cast featuring Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, David Strathairn and Natalie Portman.

"The Grand Master" is now shooting in China with a cast that also includes Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi and South Korean Song Hye-kyo.

Leung won best actor at Cannes in 2000 for playing a newspaper editor who has an affair with a married woman in "In the Mood for Love."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9724040

Got a lot to live up to in terms of quality after Ip Man.

:l

It'll probably look fantastic but I doubt that the kung fu lives up to Ip Man's.

Have never thought of Tony Leung as having any good martial skills.

Guest Yi-Long
It'll probably look fantastic but I doubt that the kung fu lives up to Ip Man's.

Have never thought of Tony Leung as having any good martial skills.

That's the beauty of Wing Chun: you can relatively quickly look like you know what you're doing. It's not like wushu where you have to jump 2 meters in the air while doing a split kick, or like Taekwonde where you can do spinning flipkicks and leg-holding and such.

I'm sure Tony Leung will have put in the hours to be able to make it look convincing :)

I'm really looking forward to this, also because it has the gorgeous Song-Hye Gyo in it....

song.jpg

Also, most WKW movie have a tremendous soundtrack (until he fucks them up in the 'Redux')

OpiumKungFuCracker
That's the beauty of Wing Chun: you can relatively quickly look like you know what you're doing. It's not like wushu where you have to jump 2 meters in the air while doing a split kick, or like Taekwonde where you can do spinning flipkicks and leg-holding and such.

I'm sure Tony Leung will have put in the hours to be able to make it look convincing :)

I'm really looking forward to this, also because it has the gorgeous Song-Hye Gyo in it....

song.jpg

Also, most WKW movie have a tremendous soundtrack (until he fucks them up in the 'Redux')

Wow, she is smokin aces:tongue::tongue:... What memorable movie has she been in??

Archived