Bodyguard: A New Beginning

AlbertV

I've been reading so much about this film in Impact Magazine. Interesting tale of a bodyguard for a Triad boss who must protect a woman from an evil Yakuza boss. The film marks the starring debut of Vincent Sze, or as they call him "The French Dragon". Sze is known for his role as the undercover cop in Simon Yam's unit in S.P.L. and a role as Chen Kuan-Tai's right hand man in Dragon Tiger Gate.

With a cast including Richard Ng, Cal Ng (Richard's son), Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa, and good ol' Mike Leeder (who is also serving as a producer), I have a feeling this film, from the director of Underground, is going to be a good film to enjoy! :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent as a movie to watch and it was nice seeing the late Shing Fui-on in a small guest appearance along with a few other asian actors I've seen in movies and TV series. Action wise it was nothing special and the movie as a whole had a very dark look to it. I didn't like Underground but if you liked the action in that movie you might like this.

OK I got to watch this movie last night, and really it wasn't all that. It had a descent storyline but could've been much better. The action was OK nothing great and a lot of the time you could tell just how much it was planned & choreographed. Worth a rent to watch and most likely never watch again.

One Armed Boxer

I also watched this movie for the first time a couple of months ago...for some reason I decided to go on a 'low budget English language action movie' kick and bought this, 'Broken Path', & 'Angel of Death'.

I have to be honest and say it was a struggle to get through. None of the characters are particularly likeable, there is a completely pointless rape scene, and the fight scenes...well, just didn't cut it for me.

It kind of felt like they were going for a brutal and effective style of fighting, but watching Vincent Sze going around giving people a single kick then they fall down just wasn't exciting for me. Towards the end there is a laughable moment when a pair of bad guys back flip off a monster truck before they start to fight....completely at odds with the 'realistic' feel I'm pretty sure the movie was going for.

Veteran Hollywood actor Cary Hiroyuki seems to be having a ball though and gets to deliver several hilarious insults to various people...some of them sounded like they'd been lifted from a Steven Seagal movie script...but it doesn't save the movie.

In a way I feel bad to bash it...I know Mike Leeder had a lot of involvement with the movie (even having a brief cameo) and he frequents these forums, and I would say AlbertV probably felt the same way going by his unusually vague review on the main site, that was essentially more of a synopsis than anything else.

I guess that's the problem when the actual director sends the movie to you as a gift to review...it's impossible to be inpartial and you're basically obliged to give good feedback.

Shooting and producing 'The Bodyguard: A New Begining' was a hell of an experience, and i learnt a lot, and its an experience that will stay with me forever

I am sure that everyone involved might have a few things we'd do do differently, but thats part of the business, you learn as you go sometimes

While it may not have been to your liking 'One Arm Boxer', we've had pretty positive feedback from a lot of people and taken home some awards and commendations for the film at various film festivals...and yes i know we can do better on the next one

Thanks for taking the time to watch it and give us some feedback

Cheers

Mike

Archived