Films Similar To Five Elements Ninja?

Shaolin_Fox

I have recently watched this movie, and I really liked it. I'm pretty new to things Shaw Bros., or almost anything having to do with MA films. So I was wondering if any of you guys know if there are any movies that are similar to Five Elements Ninja in terms of Swordplay, Wire work, Interior shooting and Choreography. I hope this helps me know more about SB films. I appreciate any help given.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that one too...have you seen some of the other venom picks?

5 Deadly Venoms

Kid with the Golden Arms

Crippled Avengers

ect...

Most if not all the"Venoms" movies.Magic Blade,Sentimental Swordsman series,The Master,Shaolin Intruders,Bastard Swordman series,Deadly Breaking Sword,Avenging Eagle are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

Ok what you want in terms of 5 Element Ninjas is...

The Lady Assassin (goreography and wires)

Legendary Weapons of China (wires and magic wide range of weaponry)

Secret Service of the Imperial Court (goreography and a good story)

Return of the Bastard Swordsman (if you want to see how Shaw does samurai action)

Masked Avengers (goreography and top notch weapons)

Heroes of the East (strictly for choreography ...no gore)

Of those 5 I think Masked Avengers is the safest bet.

Ninja in Ancient China (also directed by Chang Cheh)

Not one of his better films, but definitely similar (a re-make more-or-less) to Five Elements Ninjas. He filmed it on Mainland locations. Worth a look.

kungfusamurai

Look for Chang Cheh's other films, especially the ones with the Venoms actors (names like Lo Mang, Kuo Choi, Lu Feng, etc...); Lau Kar Leung's films (he directed 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, which is pretty violent and angry on a similar level to Fevel Elements Ninja). Heck, just go for any Shaw from 1978 to the early to mid 80s period.

KFS

I'm not sure if it's 'similar,' but give THE DRAGON MISSILE a try. It has the weapons, the color, pretty good choreography (not the best - but believe me, the movie, as a whole, makes up for it)...

Give it a try. You'll be surprised. Cool weaponry. Tight story. Sweet pacing. One of the best Shaws I've seen that is not Chang Cheh or LKL.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I will track down all of these films (and get a multi-region DVD player along the way). If people are willing to make more recommendations, feel free and I'll check them out. Again, thanks everyone :)

shaolin drunkard

Legendary Weapons of China (wires and magic wide range of weaponry)

:monkey16 Not see any similarities in those two...ohh,both are SB films.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

King Boxer

Shaolin Intruders

Come Drink With Me

Human Lanterns

Bells Of Death

Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan

Life Gamble

The Heroic Ones

Bat Without Wings

The Deadly Duo

House Of Traps (once a very rare venoms flick)

The Master

Legendary Weapons Of China

Brave Archer (will be released in April)

The Water Margin

36 Chambers Of Shaolin

Heroes Two (with a wonderful commentary by a very missed member of this forum, Linn)

These are all somewhat recently released, remastered, region 1 releases. You should be able to find them on amazon.com for decent prices. So you don't have to get an all region dvd player right off.

For excellent non-shaws martial arts films I would definitely pick up these titles:

Green Jade Statuette

The Hot The Cool And The Vicious

Challenge Of Death

Along Comes A Tiger

Iron Monkey 77'

There are very cool japanese/samurai films you might want to look into in the future as well.

I cant believe you all are naming everything but Crippled Avengers, this should be at the top of the list. And some of the films you've mentioned, like Deadly Breaking Sword is nothing like 5 element

shaolin drunkard
I cant believe you all are naming everything but Crippled Avengers, this should be at the top of the list. And some of the films you've mentioned, like Deadly Breaking Sword is nothing like 5 element

was mentioned in 2nd postXD

Seems to me like some people are throwing films very unlike 5 Element Ninja into the basket...:-) But what the hell, most of the recommended films are worth checking out, 5 Element Ninja or no 5 Element Ninja...

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Hey, he said he's new to Shaws and anything martial arts so I just gave him a list of region 1s available.

"Seems to me like some people are throwing films very unlike 5 Element Ninja into the basket"

I was thinking that as I was reading the lists. Can't say I find anything like 5En. To an average joe, it's all the same but to a seasoned viewer, it's it's own movie. Even the action style is different from the Venoms style.

You might want similar, but hey, there's only one.

Seems to me like some people are throwing films very unlike 5 Element Ninja into the basket...:-) But what the hell, most of the recommended films are worth checking out, 5 Element Ninja or no 5 Element Ninja...

Yep. The thing is, that's what makes 5EN so great... it's one of a kind. As is Crippled Avengers and all that. If there were more movies like 5EN, it wouldn't be as special as it is.

I can only recommend movies that are as ENJOYABLE as it; which is why I threw out THE DRAGON MISSILE. Come on, man... take a chance!! I'll give you a money back guarantee one this one!

I just saw Crippled Avengers for the first time a few weeks ago, a guy had it on Youtube in several parts. It was pretty cool. One of my friends is a Shaw Brothers freak and has been telling me to watch it for years. The iron-leg kicker was something else!

Shapes, patterns, arrays and formations:

Incredible Kung Fu Master

Raiders Of The Shaolin Temple

Ninja In The Deadly Trap

Archived