Dragon Dynasty Releases?

DeathFuMaster

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Wow, That's terrible news Kung Fu Bob...I'm really sorry to hear it. I feel bad for complaining so much. That being said I have tried to support Dragon Dynasty as much as possible with buying alot of their DVDs. I really hope this turns around for them.

Giving it some thought,it's easy to criticize a company about why/how/why they arent etc. in regards to their releases but I don't know the intricacies of manufacturing/distributing/ profit margins and the rest of it.

Yes, it is terrible news. But Silver Fox, don't feel bad for complaining. You have every right to complain. If they put out a Pedro Almodovar, or Melville film here- dubbed only- people would not stand for that. So why should HK cinema be any different? And if your company is going to claim something is an "ultimate edition", then it damn well should be! For instance, I wouldn't claim to be a "computer wizard"... because I'm not. :S

I think I bought all but 2 of their releases (already owned multiple copies), even though with the exception of CITY OF VIOLENCE and THE REBEL, I already owned all the titles they released. I even spent my hard-earned money on the last two, despite Mark's warnings of their short-comings. I figured, I want to support these guys so they can release more stuff. Besides, I always enjoy the special features and Bey's commentaries. I encouraged collector friends to buy Dragon Dynasty releases, and I bought them as presents for people too. I loudly and enthusiastically praised their excellent releases of 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, SPL, CITY OF VIOLENCE, and all the others that I felt were given the proper treatment. So I have given them my full support. The people that didn't give a damn, should have. And you and I, and every other consumer/fan/ collector that paid for their releases has the right to say how they feel. Here's how I feel- The Weinsteins' attitudes sucks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Sucks that the titles aren't selling well... but that's not an excuse for second rate product. Not like they're giving the shit away for free. Someone has to pay. How hard would it have been to put out an uncut version of Police Story 3? Seriously? Dragon Dynasty have a contract with Fortune Star... they're entitled. And if FS play hardball then ultimately they will lose out too. Imagine DD go bust... who does FS think they'll sell to? Any sensible company won't touch them outside Asia. Same goes for Celestial.

drunkenmaster

Same thing happened with Hong Kong Legends in the UK. Let's just face it, Kung Fu is a cult genre and it's hard to make lots of money out of it and at the end of the day that is all the backers care about.:mad:

dionbrother

The prime buyers for these films are not white anime nerds, but that's how Dragon Dynasty has marketed these movies. Kungfu movies have a very strong urban/blue collar/joe sixpack following. I guarantee you have the Rza/Wutang Clan on the package, a la Ground Zero crap that sold extremely well (I saw some sales reports, talk about a license to print money) introducing TO KILL A MASTERMIND, and it will sell much better than a rerelease of SUPERCOP or MY FATHER THE HERO. Crash Cinema's no frills editions of MASTER KILLER and CRIPPLED AVENGERS sold over 75,000 copies each, because they had never been on dvd before. Rereleases at $15 a pop is a dumb business strategy but the Weinsteins are very good at dumb marketing for inherently good ideas.

Killer Meteor

the market for niche dvds as a whole is eroding. tough times are ahead and that was pre-recession

Guest Markgway

So you're saying if we want to see Kung Fu DVDs we're forced to put up with Wu Tang Clan shit that has nothing to do with the movie? Nice.

Killer Meteor
So you're saying if we want to see Kung Fu DVDs we're forced to put up with Wu Tang Clan shit that has nothing to do with the movie? Nice.

If it got the films released so be it. But since the Wu Tang Clan gave their name to a load of crummy tape dupes, I'm not sure their name counts for much

dionbrother

Or have the "RZA presents". Those Ground Zero tapes continued to sell long after people knew about the lousy quality.

The bulk of your American buying audience is a younger generation aggressively introduced to these movies by the Wu Tang Clan's music. Not fans who read The Jade Screen in the 1970s or stood in line for FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH. Nor is it anime fans who collect Legend of the Overfiend videos. I know this isn't the case in Europe, but how many businesses have Toby Russell and Rick Baker launched in England that flopped within a year?

dionbrother

And to clarify, I have no problem with the way DD packages these movies, and would personally prefer not to tie it in with a popular hip hop act. But I'm looking at market realities, and DD clearly hasn't.

It has always been difficult to market any niche product, which these films are.

If by having people such as Rza or Tarantino involved it pushes up sales then it will help the label keep afloat in these difficult times and keep releasing titles.

As long as they dont cut and mess with them its fine by me.

DRAGON DYNASTY DVDS CHEAP HERE!

Chinatown Kid

I can understand them having hip hop flip flop crap as an introduction if they were aiming toward a black audience like films in blaxploitation genre or black oriented films but I don't want any of that shit on my MA DVDs, being a 36 year old white male I don't relate to that culture. On the same hand I wouldn't expect the DVDs to have a country music introduction by Willie Nelson either. :angel:

shaolin drunkard

it`s a pity if/as those will be unreleased.Even as not love dubs exactly,have fond memories of "blood brothers","5 deadly venoms","invincible shaolin" and many others released in UK and Holland in vhs era would like to revisit those.And in proper form,not fullscreen bad quality boots...I am sure there is still marketplace for old Shaws but is there will to release them not certain....

DD did have the RZA on the 36 Chambers dvd doing the audio commentary instead of Bey Logan. Those wutang dvd's sold well because the price point was ULTRA cheap, because they booted those movies without paying licencing fees, & because they cashed in on their fame at the time. Wutang Clan had a line of clothes. People bought anything with their emblem on it. They could have sold dvd's of thumb wrestling tournaments & they would have moved units.

I'd also say that its naive to say that if you put RZA/Wu Tang Clan on a martial arts film cover in 2009 that anyone would really care. People would look at a guy like Ghostface & be like "Daaaamn...Kanye West let himself go!"

shaolin drunkard

Well,we have to accept fact there is not much market(there is way to make profit but it needs then people actually buy those releases and not trade/download) in our beloved KungFu Films..in asia old kf`s are not appeciated by young people,in fight movie you need to have Jackie Chan,jet li or famous popstar to sell well.In europe+usa I think it`s safe to say majority of audience are 30+years old guys who have watched these kind of movies decades...while most customers are about teenagers(sorry can be I am wrong here) and they want fast editing,bomb explosions and other massive special FX...too few find essence of kung-fu cinema unfortunately and it means no sales=>no future releases.

waywardsage

I'd like to think that you are all wrong, and that Kung Fu films have a larger audience out there. But, I'm a fan, watched quite a few movies, and whenever I try to introduce them to friends who arent fans, i get eye rolls. It just seems that people are put off by it like "science fiction". There are unfortunately too many people who are put off by the old production values and sounds effects.

This saddens me greatly, because i'd love to get ahold of tons of the old shaw films in the quality that 36th chamber was restored in.

shaolin drunkard
I'd like to think that you are all wrong, and that Kung Fu films have a larger audience out there. But, I'm a fan, watched quite a few movies, and whenever I try to introduce them to friends who arent fans, i get eye rolls. It just seems that people are put off by it like "science fiction". There are unfortunately too many people who are put off by the old production values and sounds effects.

This saddens me greatly, because i'd love to get ahold of tons of the old shaw films in the quality that 36th chamber was restored in.

I can say have shown 10`s of Shaw films(+best of independent studios) to dozen or so guys and none were impressed...when they liked kick action it was something like modern day crime actioners not traditional kungfu films with esoteric styles and posing with "try my snake fist"..just fast kicks and punches...there might be way to introduce new audiences to find these great movies but I`m not PR person....

Archived