Dragon Dynasty Releases?

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

I saw on the main page an article on what DD would be trying to release. It mentioned "old Jet Li" films, anyone know what these might be?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maskedavenger

who cares? they will just fuck up the dvds like they always do. i can't wait for them to go out of business so that another company can come along and give us the QUALITY dvds we deserve.

who cares? they will just fuck up the dvds like they always do. i can't wait for them to go out of business so that another company can come along and give us the QUALITY dvds we deserve.

What makes you so sure that if DD goes out of business, the Weinsteins will sell the rights to the films to other companies?

drunkenmaster

Celestial worked on a remaster of "Painted Faces" and then didn't release it!

It is the only Sammo classic that I still haven't managed to see. :(

DeathFuMaster

The reason I mentioned Jet Li, is that they mentioned Jet Li...Some of his older movies havent seen official R1 NTSC...

• Administrator
Heres a blog post that lists what they have the rights to, not sure if its up to date:

http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2007/11/hkcfn-exclusive-new-dragon-dynasty.html

PAINTED FACES!!!!!!!!!!! Please DD, stop messing around and release this. :nerd:

Celestial worked on a remaster of "Painted Faces" and then didn't release it!

It is the only Sammo classic that I still haven't managed to see. :(

You're going to love it. It's one of Sammo's best dramatic performances, though there's no big fighting (one action incident- but I hate spoilers, so...) just so you're aren't going into it expecting something it's not.

There is no guarantee another company will come along and do the job where DD leave off...it took a couple years for DD to be made into existence after HKL went bust. The martial arts scene is a niche market and especially in this day and age of financial insecurity i would say the likelihood of another company opening up for this is very unlikely

TibetanWhiteCrane
I like Bey but he says a lot of things...

I was just about to write that... almost verbatim:D

But at the end of the day, it is really not up to him..... I know he would wanna put out a better product if he was calling the shots, but he is not. And I also understand that he defends the company that is paying his bills and feeding his kids! Only a moron would speak out against their own employer, and expect to keep that job! Why people can't see that, is beyond me!

If you wanna hate someone... hate the Schweinsteins....!

littlefuzzy

From what I've seen, the DD films are (usually) light years ahead of the old Dimension releases... Cut, dubs only, no extras, and so on.

I do wish DD had tried a bit harder on some stuff: The Dubtitles in Hard Boiled, the edits in Fist of Legend, the edited (and dubbed?) The Enforcer - I think that's the dubbed only one, it's past midnight here...

Guest I Like Elaine
I do wish DD had tried a bit harder on some stuff: The Dubtitles in Hard Boiled, the edits in Fist of Legend, the edited (and dubbed?) The Enforcer - I think that's the dubbed only one, it's past midnight here...
Speaking for myself, I sometimes prefer the dubtitles. They might not be 100% accurate, but in Hard Boiled's case it's very minor differences. "Give a guy a gun and he's Superman. Give him two and he's God". I always thought that was a classic (if over the top) line as opposed to the more accurate "You're so hot with a gun in your hand, you never miss".

dionbrother

The Criterion laserdisc of HARD BOILED also had dubtitles. So much for their standards.

DD's real problem is ignorance of their market. 70% of their re-releases, while appreciated, were also unnecessary. The bulk of their customers really don't care about having those Jet Li movies with subtitles or bonus features. They are happy with the original releases. It's the same thing that killed Crash Cinema. Had they gone for stuff that wasn't released to death on dvd already, like TO KILL A MASTERMIND, they'd be doing a lot better.

The Silver Fox

Yeah, I have to agree with that. It seems like DD doesn't know there audience very well. Why do they keep releasing mediocre Jackie Chan action movies while they have the rights to a ton of Shaw Bros films that people actually want to see:

7 Man Army (Chang Cheh)

Behind the Yellow Line (Taylor Wong)

Blood Brothers (Chang Cheh)

Boxer from Shantung (Chang Cheh)

Boxer Rebellion (Chang Cheh)

Buddha's Palm (Taylor Wong)

Clan of the White Lotus (Lo Lieh)

Crazy Shaolin Disciples aka Enter the 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Yau Kar-Hung)

Crippled Avengers (Chang Cheh)

Dirty Ho (Lau Kar-leung)

Disciples Of The 36th Chamber (Lau Kar-leung)

Executioners from Shaolin (Lau Kar-leung)

Five Shaolin Masters (Chang Cheh)

Flying Guillotine (Ho Meng-Hwa)

Full Alert (Ringo Lam)

Golden Swallow (Chang Cheh)

Hero (Corey Yuen)

Justice, My Foot! (Johnnie To)

Killer Clans (Chor Yuen)

King Boxer (Jeong Chang-hwa)

Look Out, Officer! (Lau Sze Yu)

Love in a Fallen City (Ann Hui)

Mad Monkey Kung Fu (Lau Kar-leung)

Man of Iron (Chang Cheh)

Monkey Kung Fu (Lo Mar)

New One-Armed Swordsman (Chang Cheh)

Out of the Dark (Jeffrey Lau)

Painted Faces (Alex Law)

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (Chang Cheh)

Return to the 36th Chamber (Lau Kar-leung)

Shaolin Mantis (Lau Kar-leung)

Shaolin Temple (Chang Cheh)

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon (Lau Kar Wing)

Starry is the Night (Ann Hui)

The Angry Guest (Chang Cheh)

The Anonymous Heroes (Chang Cheh)

The Avenging Eagle (Sun Chung)

The Chinese Boxer (Jimmy Wang Yu)

The Dragon From Russia (Clarence Fok Yiu-leung)

The Flying Dagger (Chang Cheh)

The Invincible Fist (Chang Cheh)

The Kung-Fu Instructor (Sun Chung)

The Mad Monk (Johnnie To)

The Savage Five (Chang Cheh)

The Shaolin Avengers (Chang Cheh)

The Victim (Sammo Hung)

Vengeance (Chang Cheh)

Seriously, where is Crippled Avengers,Return of the One Armed Swordsman ? These movies would sell if given a proper Region 1 release. They have the rights to these movies but they are just sitting on them.

Don't get me wrong, I like stuff like Flashpoint, Fist Of Legend-but the thing is you can easily find those titles elsewhere. Why can't DD give the fans what they want-old school,hard to find Shaw Bros classics.

It seems like they started well,(King Boxer,36th Chamber,One Armed Swordsman,Young Auntie) but then gave up. IMO they should have started with the Venoms movies because at least they have some name recognition with the general public as well as hard core fans.

Oh well, I guess it's easy to sit here and complain, I am thankful that DD has made some good releases and I buy almost all of them. I just wish they would start releasing some of the good stuff.

The Amazing Psycho Per
7 Man Army (Chang Cheh)

Behind the Yellow Line (Taylor Wong)

Boxer from Shantung (Chang Cheh)

Buddha's Palm (Taylor Wong)

Clan of the White Lotus (Lo Lieh)

Crazy Shaolin Disciples aka Enter the 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Yau Kar-Hung)

Crippled Avengers (Chang Cheh)

Dirty Ho (Lau Kar-leung)

Disciples Of The 36th Chamber (Lau Kar-leung)

Executioners from Shaolin (Lau Kar-leung)

Five Shaolin Masters (Chang Cheh)

Flying Guillotine (Ho Meng-Hwa)

Full Alert (Ringo Lam)

Golden Swallow (Chang Cheh)

Hero (Corey Yuen)

Justice, My Foot! (Johnnie To)

Killer Clans (Chor Yuen)

King Boxer (Jeong Chang-hwa)

Look Out, Officer! (Lau Sze Yu)

Love in a Fallen City (Ann Hui)

Mad Monkey Kung Fu (Lau Kar-leung)

Man of Iron (Chang Cheh)

Monkey Kung Fu (Lo Mar)

New One-Armed Swordsman (Chang Cheh)

Out of the Dark (Jeffrey Lau)

Painted Faces (Alex Law)

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (Chang Cheh)

Return to the 36th Chamber (Lau Kar-leung)

Shaolin Mantis (Lau Kar-leung)

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon (Lau Kar Wing)

Starry is the Night (Ann Hui)

The Angry Guest (Chang Cheh)

The Anonymous Heroes (Chang Cheh)

The Avenging Eagle (Sun Chung)

The Chinese Boxer (Jimmy Wang Yu)

The Dragon From Russia (Clarence Fok Yiu-leung)

The Flying Dagger (Chang Cheh)

The Invincible Fist (Chang Cheh)

The Kung-Fu Instructor (Sun Chung)

The Mad Monk (Johnnie To)

The Savage Five (Chang Cheh)

The Shaolin Avengers (Chang Cheh)

The Victim (Sammo Hung)

Vengeance (Chang Cheh)

Most of these is easily available elsewhere...

They stopped releasing Shaws because they didn't sell to well.

Killer Meteor
Yeah, I have to agree with that. It seems like DD doesn't know there audience very well. Why do they keep releasing mediocre Jackie Chan action movies while they have the rights to a ton of Shaw Bros films that people actually want to see:

Simple. The name recognition of Jackie Chan and Jet Li gets them into stores, and onto prominent ads. If you expect thousands to clamour for To KIll A Mastermind, that's a naive fantasy at best

Supposedly they are working on 5 Venoms, probably the best known of the Shaws, might sell a little better than previous releases. Time will tell...

Guest Markgway

Would love to see proper bang-up jobs on these:

The Victim (Sammo Hung)

The Silver Fox

Like I said, they should have started with Venoms films as they have recognition with the general public as well as film geeks.

Even like a boxed set of say, Five Deadly Venoms,Crippled Avengers etc. given the royal treatment with lots of extras. Tell me that wouldn't sell.

Simple. The name recognition of Jackie Chan and Jet Li gets them into stores, and onto prominent ads. If you expect thousands to clamour for To KIll A Mastermind, that's a naive fantasy at best

I don't see what 'Mastermind' has to do with anything. It isn't going to be released. The real naive fantasy is to expect average action movie fans to be excited about 'My Young Auntie'. They should have left that one till later.

My point is instead of aiming for the middle and not really pleasing anybody WHY NOT aim for the fanatic and have guaranteed sales. Sometimes to be successful you have to aim for that niche market. Yeah, and thousands would buy Mastermind by the way-not hundreds of thousands but thousands for sure.

If they aimed for the Fanatic, the would be better off IMO. You'd get the fanatic sales vs. the complaining on message boards that we see, and you'd also get the casual fan who'd buy the disc. BCI was about to do it right. Its a shame they went bust.

The Silver Fox

Yeah, Life Gamble and Opium and the Kung Fu Master are excellent releases-great transfers,nice liner notes,attractive packaging. Maybe too little too late but at least they tried. I bought both of these-as well as the early Tony Jaa turkey- Hard Gun ughh.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I just talked to a friend of mine that deals directly with Genius/ Weinstein Company, and the news is not good. :S Publicly of course they're holding their cards close to their chest, as you'd expect. But behind the scenes they are in serious financial trouble and are making some really desperate moves with their retail stock. From what I've just been told, I'm not expecting Dragon Dynasty to be releasing many more titles. I think this may explain why each of the last few releases have been progressively more and more screwed up. I'm guessing that at this point, they already have a lot of the supplemental stuff produced, so they're just trying to push out a few more titles to recoup some of their cash. That would explain why they didn't get the uncut, original language prints of MY FATHER IS HERO and POLICE STORY 3. Why bother polishing the bow when the ship's sinking anyway? :( I hope that this somehow gets turned around, but... it's looking like BCI all over again. :cry: I'm worried Bey Logan might be looking for a new job soon. Hey Bey- wherever you go, we'll follow. Keep up the good work brother!

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive- I'd love to get some supreme, extras-laden editions of many of the Shaw Brothers titles they bought... but I won't be holding my breath waiting.

Mark Pollard

Thanks for the grapevine update, as disturbing as it may be. It's more or less what I expected when I first wrote about troubling signs coming from DD.

I hope the situation turns around for them although I doubt it will given the state of the economy. Frankly, they were one of the biggest sponsors of this site in 2008 and I'm already feeling their troubles in a tangible way. Beyond that, if they fold it's basically game over for mainstream martial arts movie distribution in the U.S. for the foreseeable future, not to mention it will mean less money headed into Hong Kong's film industry. It's bad for everyone.

The Silver Fox

Wow, That's terrible news Kung Fu Bob...I'm really sorry to hear it. I feel bad for complaining so much. That being said I have tried to support Dragon Dynasty as much as possible with buying alot of their DVDs. I really hope this turns around for them.

Giving it some thought,it's easy to criticize a company about why/how/why they arent etc. in regards to their releases but I don't know the intricacies of manufacturing/distributing/ profit margins and the rest of it.

Overall Dragon Dynasty has done a good job and has made an attempt to get these classics out to the public and they should be applauded for that.

DeathFuMaster

Agreed, at least they have made attempts at giving us quality versions of kung fu classics with extras to boot.

Archived