Strange/ creative weaponry in Spaghetti Westerns?

odioustrident

odioustrident

I know the gatling gun gets a lot of treatment in these films, but I have read that some movies in this genre take an idea from the kung fu film: unique guns or other weapons that are showcased in the action.

Is this at all true? If so, what films have got this going on? I'm always looking for overlap between these two genres, any info would be great.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee

Most definitely. As the movies progressed filmmakers had to give their protagonists something unique and their guns/devices gave the movie a gimmick.

The Stranger Returns with Tony Anthony had a rotating 4-barrel shotgun.

Lee Van Cleef had a arsenal of guns strapped to his horse in For a Few Dollars More.

Sabata with Van Cleef also, was the James Bond of gadgets. His weapons included a four-barreled derringer, alongside a rifle with an extended barrel. A character named Banjo carries a banjo with a rifle concealed in it. The villian carries a cane that shoots a dart.

odioustrident

Thanks for the info! I looked into the Sabata series and it sounds pretty awesome in this regard. Get Mean with Tony Anthony also looks like it might have some clever ideas. Is there anything else out there with unique styles of gunmanship?

the sabata/sartana characters and weapons were a little interchangeable. i think they were created by the same dude if im not mistaken. check out sartana's films for more gadgetry. i believe there were 5 in all

There are around 17 Sartana movies. Gianni Garko played him in five films and other actors like George Hilton portrayed the character in the rest. In 1967, Garko played a villain named Sartana, the evil brother to Anthony Steffen's character in BLOOD AT SUNDOWN.

Morgoth Bauglir

Light the Fuse... Sartana is Coming- Sartana uses a piano/organ to fight an army.

No Room To Die- preacher man/bounty hunter WIlliam Berger carries around a 7 barrel shotgun and doesn't hesitate to use it.

Django (the original) gets creative in the final shootout. I've never seen a gun used this way before. Hard to believe that he was actually able to shoot it the way he did. But revenge gives you extra strength :xd:

I'm always looking for overlap between these two genres

Check out Have a Good Funeral, My Friend... Sartana Will Pay. I think it is George Wang's best role. And in Massacre Time (my favorite western) one of the costars is a hilarious old Chinese guy.

Secret Executioner
Lee Van Cleef had a arsenal of guns strapped to his horse in For a Few Dollars More.

Though he only uses his gun (that has a part of a rifle tied to the handle though) and a Winchester in the film IIRC...

odioustrident

Few more titles that I now think fit this bill:

My Names is Pecos

Pecos Rides Out

El Rojo

Fast Hand is Still My Name

$20,000 on Seven

Tre Pistole Contro Cesare

Left Handed Johnny West

They Call Me Hallejulah

Black Killer

His Name Was Holy Ghost (1970)