JIMMY WANG YU GUNG FU

Guest daTOAD

Well I'm pretty much a shapes freak, so I'll need a strong story to salvate the movie. :)

How about The Assassin? Isn't that based on the same story as Hero too?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'm pretty much a shapes freak, so I'll need a strong story to salivate the movie. :)

How about The Assassin? Isn't that based on the same story as Hero too?

Start with Blood of the Dragon if you like old school...It has the same type of feel to it as some of Shaw movies.

The Great Hunter is a very underrated movie that you may enjoy.

Rage of the Master has a good story, plus it has the Axe Gang.Great Chop Chop movie.

One Armed Swordsman 1 and 2 was ok!!But I Liked the 3rd one Triple Irons the best, which did not have Jimmy Wang Yu. It starred David Chiang and Ti Lung :D

P/S Assassin is worth watching or adding to your collection. I need to watch this one, it's been a while.

Jimmy Wang Yu is an acquired taste. His films are tremendously formula-matic.:P There are memorable pieces, as well as true chop sockey fare, however, we do have him to thank for the tournament film. No one did them better...

ironfistedmonk

I have a real problem with Jimmy Wang Yu, I just don't like him, he can't act and contrary to many others opinions I think he has zero charisma and no screen presence whatsoever. But I have to hold my hands up and say he has made some really entertaining movies, in fact Master of the Flying Guillotine is one of the greatest of all time IMO. The guy always poses me a dilemma, I want to like him, I like some of his films but I just can't get into the Jimmy Wang Yu loving.

gravedigger666

I think Onearmed Swordsman is overrated a lot,I found it almost boring in fact.Jimmys acting was not top-notch in that,I wonder why it got cult status.

However Golden Swallow is worth every good word ever said about it and more.After seeing it world did not feel same I also noticed if you are so called good guy it gives excuse to slaugher hundreds and ignore suffering of local people.Sadly movies like that not made anymore:(

If I were to recommend a Jimmy Wang Yu film for someone's first viewing of his material, the film would be The Assassin, simply because it depicts action the way audiences at that time, craved... Simple as that. I do feel once he was bannished to Taiwan, the budgets for his productions got cheaper and more so. When the money doesn't back a product, it's hard to give the audiences gloss.

I think if I were to recommend a single one of his films, it would be One Armed Boxer (which has recently been released on VCD).

I've seen all the "essential" Jimmy Wang Yu films now, and my definite favorite is One Armed Swordsman. The Assassin had some great drama moments and an amazing finale. Soul of the Sword is another good JWY film, mainly for Tien Feng, while The Chinese Boxer didn't do that much for me. I probably should have watched it before King Boxer.

gravedigger666
I think if I were to recommend a single one of his films, it would be One Armed Boxer (which has recently been released on VCD).

that I have not seen but did read it`s really weird movie+good too.

Yeah. The cast of characters in The One Armed Boxer make it as interesting as anything. I get a good laugh out of the dialogue each viewing, however, there are standout scenes as well.

One of my faves, when Jimmy Wang Yu puts the Japs arm in the mill gear!;) The expression of pain on the guys face is a riot!XD

Archived