Bodyguards and Assassins (2009)

Milkyway

Guest Markgway

Of the umpteen production companies listed for this film I noticed Vanatge Holdings Media. Is this the South Korean company? I didn't know there was any Korean involvement/finance.

DeathFuMaster
Do you think this will get a legit US release in the near future?

Man I hope so, we haven't even got Ip man yet though. Thank God for imports and region free dvd players!!

Man I hope so, we haven't even got Ip man yet though. Thank God for imports and region free dvd players!!

DeathFuMaster !

I 100 % agree ! I know people hate import & " crappy " all region players , but I LOVE BOTH !! :kiss::wink::kiss: The other option is simply that you don't get to see stuff ! Either at all or for a long time !

Athena

yes, I agree with Athena. plus there are some excellent quality region free players out there anyway. I got a Toshiba all region, which is of the exact same quality as the toshiba region 1 i bought in stores. likewise, as far as Hong Kong goes, their dvd releases are always of a high quality nowadays, as well as being english friendly. as fa as I can tell, there's usually little to no difference in the quality of dvd releases today from HK or the US, as for blurays I don't know, but it sounds like HK blurays are generally a couple steps below US ones.

DeathFuMaster
Funny I thought Ip Man did get a legit US release!

Well yeah, but technically it isn't actually released until it comes out July 27th via Well Go USA....but I have had the HK dvd for over a year I think.

Kwok Choi
Here's the UK pack shot and a nice street fight clip to enjoy...

FIGHT!

Bodyguards_And_Assassins_B_A_3D_DVD.jpg

KFC Member Cutlabs has got the contract to promote and market Bodyguards And Assassins in the United Kingdom so watch this space.

Which is me!

Firstly, I've got a couple of copies to give away if your in the UK (your choice of format) so I think the easiest way to do a give away is to say that if you contributed to this thread, you're in the prize draw. I pick a couple of names at random on the 31st May and whoever gets picked can have a freebie.

So, any opinions on the movie, good, bad or indifferent, keep them coming.

Next week I'll have an exclusive clip for the KFC forum only, so pop back for that...

nectarsis

LOVED this movie. Art direction/settings/costumes were fantastic. Plot was well done. Acting was solid. Gonna nab this ASAP.

DeathFuMaster

Yes this movie is awesome, its ashame that the US won't get a proper release for sometime. I have a good copy here at the house, but I might get the UK release too.

I like this movie but there was practically no action in the begining or the middle. When the action does pick up it, thats when it gets good.

I like 14 blades better...

It's quite heavy on plot and intrigues which I enjoyed.

I don't think the story elements of the movie affect the film negatively as long as your not expecting wall to wall battles.

I posted a blog with new links related to the movie from the last week plus some interesting clips. There's a taste of the making of documentary and some interview footage with the film makers.

B&A BLOG

what extras are on the dvd cultlabs?

Optional English Subtitles, Behind the Scenes: Character, Behind the Scenes: Costume and Make-Up, Behind the Scenes: Set Design, Behind the Scenes: Action

BODYGUARDS & ASSASSINS is out this week in the UK on DVD and Blu-ray.

As stated earlier, I'm involved in PR for the UK release so I offered a free copy to one random UK member who posted in this thread.

Congratulations BLfan.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just watched this one on Netflix instant queue thanks to (Mpm74/cityonfire) Jaw-dropping action scenes, the one scene with the 8 foot Giant guy getting his ass kicked was awesome!!!

I'm never up-to-date on modern martial arts movies, but I just got this one, and absolutely loved it. Great story, setting, characters, performances and action. It was a great plot device-- a Seven Samurai style gathering of wildly diverse bunch of heroes, and then set up a very tight mission of protecting the rickshaw for one trip across the city, while constantly being under attack. I also liked the little on-screen epitaph for each of the heroes. I don't mind a little less action when everything is so well put together. Just a great movie, IMO.

Guest Markgway

The only problem with the Mega Star BD is that the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks are Cantonese dub only. The original Mandarin track is standard 5.1. Strange.