Bodyguards and Assassins (2009)

Milkyway

I'm ordering the VCD with some select DVDs from YesAsia.com, since I no longer have my all-region player (died after 7 years of having it :( - will get another one soon I hope)

Guest WuxiaFan
I'm ordering the VCD with some select DVDs from YesAsia.com, since I no longer have my all-region player (died after 7 years of having it :( - will get another one soon I hope)

What are you going to play it on? Why are you wasting your money on VCDs anyway??

:khi3f:

Go with an Oppo Digital player. They're the best universal players, IMO. Check out the Benchmark Reviews at Secrets of Home Theater HiFi:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/the-secrets-dvd-player-benchmark.html

My DVD of this - along with my copy of STORM WARRIORS - arrived yesterday from YesAsia.com

I have to say I liked it; it's beautifully made, incredibly well acted and the sets - well, words can't do that aspect justice; incredible work, there.

That said, it's very much a drama and I think that's were a lot of negativity towards it comes in as it was sold as very much a "balls out" action flick - which it sure isn't.

And why the f--- Donnie didn't shave his head for this, I'll never know. I'm sure he had his reasons but bloody hell, he looks like an alien in some shots!! :tongue:

That said, it's very much a drama and I think that's were a lot of negativity towards it comes in as it was sold as very much a "balls out" action flick - which it sure isn't.

The usual promo reasons (famous actors for each particular genre). Understandable.

This movie. 14 Blades, on the other hand, is packed with great action set-pieces (I've been told the movie has 8 major scenes plus some small ones) so for those who expected to see Donnie do major ass-kicking in B&A should look out for 14 Blades instead.

OK I finally got to watch this movie today, and I will say it had an excellent storyline and a great cast involved in it. But don't go into this movie thinking it is an Action movie because it really isn't as a few Guys here stated it only has about 15min. of action in the whole movie. Its all about the drama that makes this movie. The fight scenes they had were good I wish there were a few more but I guess the Director didn't want to take away from what this movie was all about. Overall a good movie to watch.

BTW if anyone wants to pick it up for a great price I got mine from "almodovars" he is a seller on eBay, this DVD had a great picture and excellent English subtitles.

BTW if anyone wants to pick it up for a great price I got mine from "almodovars" he is a seller on eBay, this DVD had a great picture and excellent English subtitles.

they dont seem genuine to me

it listed 1 dvd and the original release is 2 dvd-set:

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=10540

also some other stuff he's selling dont look original products..

lillippa328

i bought mine at Foreign Flix (Foreign Cinema) in VA for 13.99 :)

good news! They now carry Mega Star! This, along with Storm Riders 2, Founding of a Republic and a whole load of other films, all Mega Star!

they dont seem genuine to me

fiol: These are overseas sellers. I buy a lot of my movies overseas because if you waited for an official US release of half these movies you'd be an Old Man. There pressed copies and they look legit enough for me and the prices are great. So again you can wait for a US release or you can get the movie now.

And honestly I really never watch the 2nd. disc so its no big deal to see the making of it or the TV Spot.

fiol: These are overseas sellers. I buy a lot of my movies overseas because if you waited for an official US release of half these movies you'd be an Old Man. There pressed copies and they look legit enough for me and the prices are great. So again you can wait for a US release or you can get the movie now.

And honestly I really never watch the 2nd. disc so its no big deal to see the making of it or the TV Spot.

if i have to buy a movie i buy the original hk rls (in this case of course)

i will never buy a boot (and i'm from italy where these kind of movies (or better, 99,9999999% of asian movies) dont even get a release) and i dont want to give money to the bootlegers.

i already hacked my dvd players so i dont have problems with the region things..

fiol: Well again it all comes down to how bad you want a movie, and I really wanted to see Bodyguards & Assassins. I also have an all region player as well, but again the pressed DVDs are superb in all areas, picture quality, sound, and subtitles so I really don't consider them to be bootlegs. If an official US release comes out and I loved the movie than I'll pick it up. But I'm glad that I can get these movies from overseas in order to watch them.

I'll happily purchase Asian DVD releases as long as they are genuine releases. I want to see many films badly and own a copy of a particular film, yet I refuse to give money to bootleggers. Particularly with niche movies like martial-arts films the money has to go to the right people so that more are made. Couldn't care less if people rip-off Hollywood, most of their product deserves to be ripped off imho.

Is that DDDHouse DVD a bootleg and does this online retailer usually sell pirate copies?

ddd house are fantastic, one of the best.

Just saw the film and was very impressed...as a drama. Its not an all out action film but when it comes its very good and the acting is top notch too.

Go in with the mindset of seeing a great drama as opposed to action and you will be fine.

Amazing set design too.

HK Legends OOP DVDS..CLICK HERE

Morgoth Bauglir
fiol: Well again it all comes down to how bad you want a movie, and I really wanted to see Bodyguards & Assassins. I also have an all region player as well, but again the pressed DVDs are superb in all areas, picture quality, sound, and subtitles so I really don't consider them to be bootlegs. If an official US release comes out and I loved the movie than I'll pick it up. But I'm glad that I can get these movies from overseas in order to watch them.

Be careful with those boots. I wish I would have been onto them when I first started collecting Shaw Brothers and other DVDs I bought online. I wasted so much money. I agree with blue skies. The money needs to go into the right hands. And they can still get you even if you think you know what you are doing. I ordered Red Cliff part 1 off ebay thinking it was legit. Damn thing was taped off a TV station, has HORRIBLE subs that appear when they want to, and it was majorly cut!:sad:

You simply can't go wrong with these 2 suppliers:

DDDHouse.com

&

YesAsia.com

100% on the level, legit releases only.

:bigsmile:

lillippa328

just watched it ....great movie!!! excelent!!!!!!!!

for all yall that are saying theres no action...ur wrong...the last hour had all the good stuff...this is not a kung fu movie,but a good ass movie! The last hour was very intense with plenty of action all in it!

9/10!

just watched it ....great movie!!! excelent!!!!!!!!

for all yall that are saying theres no action...ur wrong...the last hour had all the good stuff...this is not a kung fu movie,but a good ass movie! The last hour was very intense with plenty of action all in it!

9/10!

Totally agree, it was more of a political thriller/drama than an all out Kung Fu movie. That being said the action on hand in the last hour was great!! I was watching it and totally engorssed in the acting, the production values and the awesome sets that I didn't even think hey I haven't seen any action. Then when it happend it was very awesome.

Well again I always read the reviews/comments of other people before I buy online from eBay, but I can honestly say I never really had a problem with there movies and I always ask about money back if anything is wrong with the movies. :xd:

lillippa328
Totally agree, it was more of a political thriller/drama than an all out Kung Fu movie. That being said the action on hand in the last hour was great!! I was watching it and totally engorssed in the acting, the production values and the awesome sets that I didn't even think hey I haven't seen any action. Then when it happend it was very awesome.

oh 100% man...those sets were crazy beautiful!!! Deff. a political thriller/drama with some MA mixed in, but maan what a good fresh breath of air into the genre