Bodyguards and Assassins (2009)

Milkyway

Cung Le on working with Donnie Yen (courtesy of Rama's Screen):

RS: I’m Asian and I grew up in Asia watching all kinds of kung fu, martial art movies, watching Jet Li, Jackie Chan and all those guys and of course Donny Yen. I understand that you worked with him on BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS. He always seems serious on screen, was he like that in person?

CL: Donny Yen to me was a very kind, generous but intense person. I didn’t have any problem with him because when I got on set, I’m just as intense, if not, more. I was just as focused and I brought just as many ideas to BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS. We filmed for like 13-14 days straight and a couple of more days after. And I told Donny "Hey Donny, this fight scene that you and I are in, this is old school stuff, you’re Donny Yen, how come you don’t take charge in choreographing this?" and he’s like "I don’t wanna say anything and I don’t want the guy to lose his job", there’s so many other fight scenes that they could use his expertise on those scenes. We actually wrapped our scene and I was really unhappy, I told Donny and Donny felt the same way. Two months later I came back, they brought me back, Donny and I collaborated to shoot that scene that we did.. in 4 days. We shot and the last day Donny was "hey Cung, we can do a lot better but we need you a couple of more days" but I already needed to fulfill the agreement I had with Overture Films to be at Comic-Con to promote PANDORUM and Comic-Con is a big stage to promote PANDORUM and I said "I can’t do it bro, what we’re going to have to do is shoot straight" so Donny and I both shot for 24 hours straight to get the final shot and what we did in 15-16 days with that other fight coordinator, between Donny and I and his expertise cause I never wanna step on Donny’s foot, we did what we had to do to get it done in 4 days, amazing.

RS: Wow, now that must’ve been quite an experience!

CL: Yeah. I mean it was.. I did all my.. everything. Taking the hit, running the rooftop of course they got some guy for the real dangerous stuff because if I get injured, that’s it. But I did about 80% of everything.

http://ramascreen.com/exclusive-interview-cung-le-talks-pandorum/

SO many good looking flicks coming up soon...and Donnie Yen seems to be in more than a few. I've VERY impressed on the massive scale of the 1:1 1905 HK setup.

Peter Chan's upcoming blockbuster to feature an Asian all-star cast

SINGAPORE: Award-winning Hong Kong director Peter Chan was in Singapore on Monday to promote his upcoming blockbuster Bodyguards and Assassins.

Costing more than US$23 million (S$32 million) to produce, Assassins and Bodyguards is a story based on a group of bodyguards protecting Sun Yat Sen from assassins in 1905 Hong Kong.

Produced by Chan and directed by Teddy Chan, Assassins and Bodyguards will feature more than 10 well-known stars across China and Hong Kong, making it one of the most eagerly anticipated Asian movies at the end of the year.

The stellar cast includes Donnie Yen, Wang Xueqi, Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Nicholas Tse, Hu Jun, Leon Lai, Eric Tseng, Li Yuchun, Simon Yam, Fan Bingbing, Zhou Yun, Wang Po Cher, as well as a guest appearance from Michelle Reis.

While in Singapore for the first round of publicity, Chan said the reason for selecting a star-studded cast was mainly due to commercial viability.

"I could have replaced Leon Lai and Maggie Cheung in Comrades with Chinese actors since the characters were supposed to be from China," explained Chan, using his award-winning Comrades, Almost a Love story as an example to illustrate the importance of featuring well-known celebrities.

When the press asked Chan whose performance among the fourteen big names left a deep impression on him, the 45-year-old director listed two names: Donnie Yen and Nicholas Tse.

"The first one is Donnie Yen. In the past, I used to see him heavily involved in fighting scenes," he said. "This time round, he has more emotional scenes as compared to the past and there were a few crying scenes where he was in his element."

He then added that Yen is also a perfectionist: "(Yen) requested to include an action scene which eventually cost the team to exceed the filming duration for ten days.

"However, the effects turned out brilliantly and have never been seen before in an Asian film. Yen just went on with his role and did not ask for anything in return."

Chan shifted his attention to Nicholas Tse next.

The 29-year-old actor plays an 18-year-old naive character, a drastic transformation from the usual cool and suave roles Tse usually undertakes.

"10 years ago, he had to act as a 30-year-old when he was 18," said the producer. "Now, it's the opposite. I was very surprised and pleased when he managed to bring out the innocence and naivety of his character. In the past, he just had to act cool. This is a refreshing change."

Tse's professionalism also etched a deep impression on Chan.

"There was a scene where (Tse) was beaten up by Hu Jun for protecting Sun Yat-San and he requested for a real fighting scene," he said. "In the end, I got his close friend (a martial arts instructor) to punch him. The friend kept punching his face for more than 10 times till his face was swollen and I decided that was enough."

While having a star-studded cast does have its perks, it is a big headache for the producers when the egos start kicking in. Did Chan encounter any particular problems?

"I faced more problems in Warlords (which feature Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro). It doesn't take 14 big names to create a problem, two is already more than enough to handle," Chan laughed.

What about the rumoured disagreement between Donnie Yen and Leon Lai?

"There are absolutely no problems. Don't believe the reports! The ones who are having problems are not reported instead," said Chan, who has indirectly opened up another can of worms.

When pressed by the media to reveal which big names were giving him problems, the bespectacled director replied with laughter: "I would not tell you, of course."

Body and Assassins is scheduled to be release on December 18 in Singapore.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1013023/1/.html#

'Bodyguards and Assassins' sells at AFM

E1, CJ pick up Chinese period thriller at Santa Monica market

HONG KONG -- Big-budget Chinese period thriller "Bodyguards and Assassins" has been sold by We Distribution to four territories at the beginning of the American Film Market.

E1 Entertainment picked up the film for the U.K. and Canada, while CJ Entertainment bought it for South Korea and Gulf Films took it for the Middle East.

The $23 million film directed by Teddy Chan is set in early 20th century Hong Kong with all the action taking place on the day of a failed assassination attempt on Sun Yat-sen. Its all-star cast includes Donnie Yen, Tony Leung Ka-fai, Leon Lai and Simon Yam.

" 'Bodyguards and Assassins' caters to the intelligence and appetites of China's increasingly sophisticated and fast-expanding audiences. I am also thrilled that we have phenomenal response from territories outside mainland China," producer Peter Chan Ho-sun said.

The film is already destined for a wide Asian release Dec. 18 with distribution handled in Taiwan by Applause Entertainment, in Singapore by MediaCorp. Raintree Pictures and Festive Films, in Malaysia by RAM Entertainment, in Thailand by United Home Entertainment and UIP, in Indonesia by PT Teguh Bakti and in Vietnam by Parkit Films. CJ will release the picture in Korea in January.

Production is by Cinema Popular, a joint venture between Chan, Huang Jianxin and Bona which was launched this year.

Cinema Popular also is shopping its action-romantic comedy "The Return of the Incredible Wu Xia Couple," directed by Vincent Kuk, and Dante Lam's period actioner "Flying Guillotines" at AFM.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i7d9cea78ab893444626530f76a9f2ae7

'Bodyguards' Make Their Debut

"Bodyguards and Assassins", an all-star film about a group of bodyguards protecting Sun Yat-Sen from assassins in 1905 Hong Kong, premiered Thursday on the 143rd anniversary of the birth of the foremost pioneer of China's revolution.

Lead cast members, including Leon Lai, Donnie Yen and Fan Bingbing, joined director Teddy Chen and producers Peter Chan and Huang Jianxin at the ceremony in Nanjing in eastern China's Jiangsu Province.

On the same day, the stars visited Sun Yat-Sen's mausoleum in the city to pay respect to the revolutionary figure.

The actor who portrays Sun Yat-Sen in the film has not yet been disclosed, but director Chen says he will very much resemble Sun with the help of Hollywood makeup artists.

The film's star-studded cast also includes Nicholas Tse, Eric Tsang, Hu Jun and Li Yuchun. Chinese basketball star Mengke Bateer also has a role.

The movie's release date is set for December 18.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/11/13/1261s529020.htm

First Timer Li Yuchun Fights like A Kung Fu Panda

Singer-turned-actress Li Yuchun (Chris Li) believes her role in the upcoming historical film "Bodyguards and Assassins" corresponds to Po, the protagonist of the popular animated movie "Kung Fu Panda."

"There are six guys protecting Sun Yat-sen in the movie--Donnie Yen, Nicolas Tse, Mengke Bateer, Bo-Chieh Wang, Leon Lai and me," the Information Times newspaper quoted Li as saying. "We have different kung fu styles, just like the Tigress, Monkey, Mantis, Viper, and Crane together with Po in Kung Fu Panda."

The first time actress had to receive training for her three fight scenes.

"The workers showed me the training video," Li said. "I found myself looking totally like a clumsy bear. I used a nine-section whip, and it kept lashing my own face or getting tangled up around my hand. But after I finished shooting, I began to feel like a kung fu panda."

"Bodyguards and Assassins" is scheduled for release in China on December 18.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/11/17/1221s529925.htm

TibetanWhiteCrane

Getting a bit more amped for this movie! While Jackie and Jet are off doing crappy movies, Donnie is holding down the fort like a mofo!