Help wanted: THE NORTH AND SOUTH CHIVALRY (1978)

Guest Libretio

Guest Libretio

Over the years, I've asked around in a number of places about a 1978 HK production called THE NORTH AND SOUTH CHIVALRY, but no one seems able to identify it. I don't have the name of the director, or the actors, nor even the original Chinese title. In fact, the only salient point about the film is that it was one of the few SE Asian movies produced in 3-D. I'd love to clarify its origins, if at all possible.

Does anyone have any info on this one? Director, original title, etc?

Many thanks in advance. All help gratefully received...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Libretio

Any info, Chingdog? Director, title, actors, etc.? Anything that might help me identify its origins?...

Guest falkor

I could perhaps put up some screenshots of the credits if you like? Maybe that would reveal something; I'm surprised it's not listed at HKMDB...

NorthAndSouthChivalry.jpg

Guest Markgway

A few of the cast names I could make out on the cover:

Wen Chiang Lung, Wang Ping, Yu Tien Lung, Ku Pao Ming, Wang Pao Yu.

Too lazy to look up the others right now... :b

Guest Libretio

Guys, this is a huge step in the right direction, and much appreciated!

Falkor, I'm also surprised the film isn't listed at HKMDb, but there's virtually no info anywhere on this one (believe me, I've Googled every variation of 'North', 'South', 'Chivalry' and '3-D' known to Man!!). I'll go over there and point the editors to this thread, and they'll probably add it in due course.

Markgway, that cast list will also be a big help in finding out more about the film. Any other credits you could possibly identify?

By the way, I'd like to submit the Chinese title to xuezhongwen.net for transliteration purposes, but I can't actually 'write' Chinese characters, nor can I cut and paste them from the illustration provided by Falkor. Could anyone possibly help?

Thanks again for your assistance, guys. Looks like this long-standing 3-D mystery is well on the way to being solved at last!

Guest falkor

Have you tried contacting Bruce Long? He's the main man at HKMDB for this kind of thing, but the quality of the film/credits is rather poor as chingdog said--even from the original tape; some detail appears to have been lost from the 3D to 2D conversion. Anyway, I hope this helps...

nasc.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-0.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-1.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-2.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-4.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-5.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-6.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-7.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-8.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-9.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-10.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-11.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-12.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-13.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-14.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-15.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-16.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-17.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-19.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-20.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-21.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-22.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-23.jpg

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER-24.jpg

Guest Libretio

Incredible stuff, Falkor - just what I was looking for!

As promised, I've opened a similar thread at HKMDB and pointed the way over here, so all these screen-caps will surely prove invaluable to the Editors over there. You guys have helped rescue a tiny bit of Chinese movie history from obscurity!

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Falkor.

Guest Libretio

Thanks to you guys, this mystery is now solved. It's a 1977 Taiwanese production, and has now been added to the HKMDB database. Y'know, I don't know why I didn't come here sooner with my enquiries about this movie... :D

Archived